A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 110
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2013~  (Read 123834 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2013 08:01:07 PM »

~*Congratulations, noodle-bug!*~
~*You are the first to earn the History of Magic Badge!*~

To claim your badge, right click and save to your computer.  Then, you can do whatever you wish with it.  Ideas on how to show-off your badges: use it as an avatar, put it in your profile under Brief Bio, or create a pinterest board for all your badges. 

*Once revealed, a class badge can be found in the Badge Station.*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2013 08:05:37 PM »

Love all the projects so far!  And I'm super excited to see the Ravenclaws have Extra Credit...it adds that extra bit of fun! Grin  Gyffies have yet to post a project...I think we are all too giddy from all the buttebeer we consumed at the Spring End of Term Feast. Wink Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2013 03:17:06 AM »

Noodle-bug, awesome buttons!  I have a button-covering kit from Jo-Ann's, but I need more blanks.  Is there a good source for bulk blanks that you know of?  It sounds like you have some great campfire times and memories. Smiley
Umm, not really. There are a few UK based needlecraft sites, i usually just look around those as at any given time at least one will have a sale or offer going on... Sorry i can't be more help
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
Moonflame
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2013 04:50:33 AM »

Umm, not really. There are a few UK based needlecraft sites, i usually just look around those as at any given time at least one will have a sale or offer going on... Sorry i can't be more help

No problem!  Thanks!  I'm going to have a look around.  I haven't covered any buttons in a long time, and now I'm all inspired again! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Naantje
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2013 07:32:14 AM »

I know it's not advanced studies friday yet, but I've got an OWL and a NEWT proposal coming up, both intended to commemorate my recently deceased grandmother. Since she passed away at 92, I've been planning some therapeutic crafting sessions that honour her spirit.

My granny was a crafty lady and had a very waste not, want not mentality: she was nineteen when the second world war started and living in in occupied Belgium, she knew plenty of hardship. She and my grandfather got married shortly after the war, had six children and had just bought a house when my grandfather became seriously ill and had to stop working. They were raising six children and paying off a mortgage on the income of my eldest aunt, distributing local newspapers and ad inserts, and government child support and disability. They scraped by, and my grandfather became a rather succesful artist when he recovered from his long term illness, so later on in life, they had gotten from lower working class to (upper?) middle class, but my grandmother did always keep the make do and mend - waste not, want not mentality. Knees worn out on the jeans? Patch 'em up! Holes in the underwear? Cut them up for cleaning rags. Dress fabric worn out beyond repair? Salavage the zipper and the buttons for the next item!

This mentality has been passed on into the next generations via my mother and two aunts (the other two aunts and my uncle have gone the opposite way, remembering being ashamed of clothes that were mended and altered time and again and of never having something entirely new) and I'm definitely in my grandmother's camp! My mother and her siblings sorted through my grandmother's belongings last weekend, and most of her clothes were to be donated to a second hand charity store. Since we know a lady who has very little money and has the same build as my gran had, I asked if I could do an additional sorting through the clothes to look for what would be appropriate for Francine (who spends what money she does have on her kids, not herself). We got her two suitcases of clothes: a warm winter coat, as hers has a broken zipper and only 3 buttons left, a rain coat, several pairs of trousers, lots of T-shirts and blouses, several sweaters, night gowns, etc.

Among the stuff that was destined for charity, I also found clothes that I really liked! I took about ten skirts and then some blouses and sweaters. They were classy on my grandmother but looked terrible on my mother, as they instantly aged her another ten, fifteen years! On this twenty-four year old however, they look good and often very retro. I also found a stash of flowery vintage sheets and night gowns, which I also took along with a project in mind. As we were sorting through the clothes, we also harvested the beautiful buttons from clothes that were too worn out or ugly to be sellable (eighties shirts!) or damaged. I now have a nice stash of mother of pearl buttons in three different sizes, and several sets of five to seven matching buttons. It's sure to come in handy some time!

On to my actual proposals!

OWL Subject & Option: History of Magic, option 3 Craft something using a vintage pattern, material, or technique.
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Waste not want not, a remembrance quilt
Brief Description:
I will be teaching myself a new craft to honour my grandmother's thrifty and crafty spirit. I'll be putting my new sewing machine (which used to be hers) to good use as I will transform the floral cottons of her vintage night gowns and bed sheets to my first quilt ever. Since I'm a novice, I won't be using intricate patterns, I'll cut the fabric into squares, sew those into strips, and sew the strips together to form the quilt top. I'm still in dubio about using batting and a flannel sheet for the backing, or attaching the top to a fleece blanket. I don't think the machine is suitable for this step of the quilting process either way, so this will most likely be done by hand.

NEWT Subject: Alchemy (Students are expected to show extensive knowledge of basic elements, as well as the transmutation of substances.)
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Make do and mend, wardrobe alterations
Brief Description:
Many of my grandmother's clothes I took home, are actually one or two sizes too large for me. Since I liked them so much however, and really want to incorporate them into my wardrobe, I decided that it's time I actually learnt to do some alterations in stead of asking my mum to do them for me. I have some sewing experience, I've sewed the curtains for our previous kitchen, three aprons, a skirt, a blouse and a bag, and hemmed several pairs of pants, but I do still consider myself quite a novice. The basic elements to sewing are the sewing machine, the fabric, the needle and thread, the pattern and the stitches. I'll need to extend my knowledge of all these components, as this is a new machine to me, I have several different types of fabric to work with (jersey, heavier knits, synthetics), I know that different materials require different needles and thread, and the type of stitch used will also affect clothes' durability etc. As I'll be transmutating these clothes from granny wear to groovy wear, I'll be altering patterns to ensure a great fit, and also add some extra's to give even more allure. Should I finish early, I will also take to my own closet to find the pieces that need mending or could benefit from embellishing. Banish the missing buttons and fraying hems! A nice applique over tiny holes or stains, and a bath in fresh dye for faded clothes. I'll make my granny proud!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2013 07:35:22 AM »

Moonflame - lovely wire crochet!!

AugustBell - AH! Love the hooded towels! I'm putting that on my to-make list for my kiddo before he gets too old!! I also love that your cat's name is Neville!!

travelgirl - Totally love your cars on the go kit!! Another project my kiddo would love!! And gorgeous peacock feather bookmark!!

Ant Bee - Nice Chinese Fireball!!

SiakelA - Wow!! So much hard work! But your results are perfect!!

Audania1 - Onsies are sooo cute, and yours especially so. I love the pirate one! And Oh! I might steal the Father's Day mug rug idea!! So great!

patty_o - solar oven!! So cool.

noodle-bug - love the fabric choice!

pinkleo - Yes, I know I'm still recovering from all that butterbeer! But I'm sure Gryffindor will catch up in no time!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2013 07:49:32 AM »

A new Gryffindor June Summer Challenge has been announced!!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013 07:50:45 AM by Abbeeroad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2013 11:33:08 AM »

Wow what a great start to the semester!!  Shocked

@travelgirl - love that bookmark.  I agree with everyone, it is way too pretty to tuck inside a book.

@Audania1 - what a great idea for a Father's Day gift!

@patty_o - that banana bread looks delish!  And I'm loving the idea of using a solar oven for summer baking.

@noodle-bug - cute buttons; I love the chevrons!

@pinkleo - I'm loving all the badges this semester!  I cannot wait to see the rest of them!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhistleFish
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2013 12:35:13 PM »

COMPLETED OWL Subject: Herbology
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Summer Garden Throw
Project Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=424286.0#axzz2VHFbMg8L or http://two-forty-six.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-big-ta-dah-summer-garden-throw.html
Brief Description: In Herbology, we're supposed to craft something inspired by a plant that could be found in a witch or wizard's garden. I will be completing a Summer Garden Throw (pattern from Attic24 here: http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2009/05/the-square-throw-tadah.html It's pretty amazing) which I think is inspired by the "Flutterby Bush" which only flowers every hundred years (that's why this throw took me so long...it takes a long time for these flowers to bloom).

Here it is, finally finished!!!

What's that...a matching pillow? Sure, I'll turn it in for some additional homework:

Completed Assignment:
Potions
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Cozy colored granny pillow
Project Link: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=424286.0#axzz2VHFbMg8L or http://two-forty-six.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-big-ta-dah-summer-garden-throw.html
Brief Description: I've been studying potions and I think I've found the perfect thing to help me get to sleep: a beautiful granny square pillow. The trick is to study the colors until sleepiness starts to set in, then you lay down your head and you're off to sleep for a couple hours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2013 12:51:51 PM »

@WhistleFish I love your throw and pillow!! I think it's really cool how the pillow matches, but not exactly on the pattern. Very nice!

@Naantje My sympathies for your loss. I lost my grandma last week and since we've been living with her for the past 6 years, it has been a very turbulent time for us. It sounds like you were very close, and I hope this therapeutic crafting will offer some comfort and a chance to reflect on the positive times you shared with her.

I have a little something to turn in too!

Completed Assignment: Marmalade Bean Challenge!
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Lunch in a jar
Brief Description:

Did you know that you can unscrew the bottom of your blender? Of course you did. BUT did you know that it fits PERFECTLY onto a mason jar?! That's right, perfectly. And then you can make single servings of whatever you want, and eat them, and be very very happy about the reduced amount of dishes.

I knew you would be as thrilled as I am.

In progress - I used a banana, a mango, and plain greek yogurt.

Ready to eat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 110 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Swan
How to Fold an Origami Heart
How to Fold an Origami Ninja Star
How to Fold Money into an Origami Shirt
How to Make an Origami Fish
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...