A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,241
Currently Running With Scissors:
840 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 110
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2013~  (Read 121065 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #750 on: July 28, 2013 09:57:58 PM »

Challenge: Quidditch/Stooging
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Quickie Critters
Brief Description: I have a confession to make. I like Animal Crossing. There, I said it, I play Animal Crossing and I'm entirely too old to do so. Luckily, my kids like it too and today the little girls asked if I would make them teeny characters from the game. "Sure," I said. "No problem. Making toys is nearly my favourite thing to do."  The first DD came to me with a request for the goat and I whipped it out pretty quickly. Then DD #2 said she wanted the octopus. Of all the characters, she wants the octopus with all of its little legs and tiny eyes and itty bitty funky mouth..."Yeah, okay, can do." And it happened to be really simple after I figured out all the parts. They are about 3.5" tall and have posable arms and legs. Now, don't tell anyone my secret!

oh SQQQUUEEE!  I play too and I just got Zucker to move to my town last week!  LOVE these Grin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013 06:28:05 AM by alwaysinmyroom - Reason: remove pic from quote » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
netchez
« Reply #751 on: July 28, 2013 10:45:09 PM »

Again, fellow students and professors, you all astound me with the variety and expertise of the projects you do.  I cannot name all the projects where I went "Wow!" and sank a little lower into my seat.
Happy birthday, Headmisstress!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: House Unity
Project Name: Slytherin Friendship bracelet
Project Page Link (if available): na
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.)  Annoying little brother is a Slytherin.  He was interested in the kumihimo braids I was creating and wondered if I would make him on.  Sure, oh course! So I leafed through my books looking for a braid that "looked" Slytherin.  He looked too and found one that looked "snakish" and said..."Nanna I want this one!" It was a Kongo Gumi braid.  So I began... and it DID turn out to look like snake scales.  When I finished braiding, he was very happy.

Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Alchemy
Project Name: Peacock necklace
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) This one was a hard one for me.  I couldn't think of anything to represent a peacock, although I thought the bird is very beautiful, that is until I ran across this pendant!  It just screamed necklace (and peacocks DO scream) so I went to my books again. The Kongo Gumi braid leaped off the page and I thought of the peacock tail.  This was perfect.  I began working with 16 threads.  The placement of the colored threads makes all the difference in the world.  Although this is the same braid as the Slytherin bracelet, it has none of the "snake" look to it.
Project Picture:
When I finished the braid, I added end caps and a clasp.  It ended up 16 inches, which is a comfortable length for me.

Class/Challenge/House Pride: SPEW
House:Ravenclaw
Project Name: baby hat for The Baby Pantry
Project Page Link (if available): www.redheart.com pattern WR1756
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) The local Baby Pantry provides things for any woman before and after birthing.  Many women cannot afford to buy anything warm and pretty for their infant. 
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Defense Against the Dark Arts
Project Name: Hinkypunk soother
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) Chimes have such a soothing effect on me, and Hinkypunks are no different.  I have a ball pendant that chimes whenever it moves.  So I made a kumihimo braid of dark blue (to represent the night sky) and gold( for the twinkling stars).  I used gold end caps to finish it off.

Project Picture:

Last evening I thought I saw a hinkypunk's glowing lamp so I began walking.  The chime sounded softly and I felt soothed and the hinkypunk followed but did not try to hurt me.  YEA! It worked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
netchez
« Reply #752 on: July 28, 2013 11:36:41 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Belated Birthday for Dobby
Project Name: Dobby Romper
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) I realize that this is a month late for Dobby's birthday, but I just HAD to do this!  I ran accross some fabric I had that looked as though it belonged to Gryffindor.  I always felt sad that Dobby never had any other clothes , even after he was set free.  So when I saw this material, I felt that Dobby would have liked something made from it since he was an honourary Gryffindor member.  I used a vintage pattern for his romper, adding pockets, since everyone needs pockets (especially our own little "Dobby size" person).  

I could just see Dobby peeking out from the pocket, so I put him there.
 By the way... our little Dobby size person sometimes has trouble with buttons, so the ones on the romper are just for show... I put velcro on the tabs so they would be easy for her to open and close.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013 11:42:55 PM by netchez » THIS ROCKS   Logged
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #753 on: July 29, 2013 12:21:05 AM »

Moonflame- The greatest memory of my childhood is walking in the kitchen door, home from Kindergarten, fresh loaves of rye bread on cooling rack and my mother, in her rocking chair, knitting, her basket of yarn by her side.  The smell of fresh baked bread and yarn, to this day, top the list of greatest scents ever. Smiley  She has taught me, several times, to knit, and I HAVE knitted..... during that session, but I was diagnosed in 5th grade as having a distinct lack of short term memory, and when I wake up the next morning I have, again, forgotten the process.  But knitting intrigues me still. Smiley  I don't think I could have stopped myself from rebuilding the Fiatelli, and once I took the cover off to get a look inside I was sucked in.  The world stopped spinning and time stood still.  I'm not entirely sure I even blinked for the next twelve hours.  Smiley  I call her Fiatelli.  It's Italian, and therefore sounds sexy, but then all Italian words sound sexy, just as all French words sound obscene.  Rofl Smiley  The kids are lovin the constellation curtain. Smiley  The moonpads whip up surprisingly fast!!!  O.O  And they stack so much neater than the ones we use.  I'm considering making the switch to this pattern for our personal use, for the sake of space.  Smiley  Oh wow!!!  I've never even heard of a playway, but I love the sleeve you've knitted for it!!!  It's pretty AND you have easy access (very cool feature).  thumbs up  owwwww  I like your cupa.  Smiley  I love how you combined so much.  (and I love Jean Luc : )

Naantje- I'm sure it gets annoying, but it's apart of my Hufflepuff personality. Besides there's just so much cool stuff to comment on!!!  lol Smiley  I can imagine!!!  The festival sounded really awesome.  I expect it's a lot like the week after Ren Faire closes.  I worked at TRF for years and now, when the kids allow, I am a boothie at Middlefaire.  It's always down the week after it closes.  Like you miss your village....  OMG!!! THAT'S GONNA BE SO COOL!!!!  Even if a few show, it's STILL gonna rock!!!  GO NAANTJE!!!! Cheesy

lelyonna- SCA is a historical reenactment group.  They are all over the world.  When my family participated we focused on Hungary around 1360.  They just don't make style the way they used too.  Smiley  (And your dress has STYLE : )

noodle-bug- I LOVE your hooplas!!!  They are awesome!!!  I love the giant button.  Your friend's daughter sounds like an incredably imaginative child (and she has the same name as the lead female character in my favorite movie. : ) 

pottermouth- O.O  Your little characters are AMAZING!!!  I really love them!!!  They are so cool!!! Smiley

jennieingram- I love seeing your canning.  It makes me long for when I will have stuff to can.  I don't think I've ever eaten parsnips.....

Netchez- ALB LOVES his bracelet!!!  It makes such a nice Slytherin token that it keeps getting borrowed by the other Slytherin in the house.  O.O  (She's FAST and QUIET when she wants to be!!! O.O )  I love how sturdy your peacock braid is!!  It's amazing what you do with that loom!  I love your Hinkypunk charm.  Smiley  And your baby hat is so sweet. Smiley  OH!!!  IT WORKED!!  YAY!!!  It's been so long since I've seen children's clothes with characters peeking out of the pockets!!!  I'm so happy it worked!!! Smiley Now she'll always have Dobby in her pocket.  Smiley

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Defense Against the Dark Arts Class
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Essence of Hinkypunk
Project Page Link (if available): *very elaborate description found here Cheesy* http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=425979.0#axzz2aOhR5tbV
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) Lamps gone dark?  Not ready to go to bed when the sun goes down?  Use NORTH STAR Ultra Pure Essence of Hinkypunk for all your lighting needs.  (For use in approved lamps, lanterns, chandeliers, and street lights.)
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Herbology Class
Project Name: Cheerful Cherries Drawer cover
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=425977.0#axzz2aOhR5tbV
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) I built a wonderful drawer to hold all of my pots and lids that fits in my kitchen cabinet.  But one morning I opened the drawer and found a native chameleon had found his way into the drawer and had been unable to find his way out.  To prevent this from ever happening again I sewed this sweet drawer cover from adorable green cotton fabric with cherries on it.  Smiley
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: *S.P.E.W.* Days for Girls *S.P.E.W.*
Project Name: 6 Days for Girls Moonpads
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.daysforgirls.org/#!patterns-and-sewing-tips/c1upv
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) I had intended to take a break from working on my watermelon and crochet a hat, you know to break up the monotony of always sewing and posting moon pads.  They might be awkward for some people to keep seeing.  But then I saw of an interview of a young girl who was exploited in order to get feminine hygiene products every month.  I couldn't get the video of the interview to load on my phone, but I read the description and as a woman and a mother, it ticked me off.  SO!!!  I cut out a pile of flannel and sewed up 6 more monthly pads.  Smiley
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #754 on: July 29, 2013 04:33:01 AM »

jennieingram- I love seeing your canning.  It makes me long for when I will have stuff to can.  I don't think I've ever eaten parsnips.....

OMG, I freakin' LOVE parsnips!  I had never eaten them before a year or two ago either, but once I tried them, I fell in love.  (My mother has weird rules about food that she considers "foreign".  ie, something she's never tried before and is afraid of.  If she doesn't already know what it tastes like, no one in the house is allowed to eat it.  She also won't let anyone in the house eat dark meat on a turkey, but white meat is okay, and while she eats hamburgers, no one is allowed anything ELSE made out of ground beef.  No meatballs, no shepherd's pie, etc.)

Parsnips are similar in texture to carrots, but taste less carrot-y, slightly more earthy, but not at all like beets (which is the other veggie everyone says is earthy).  I love them best roasted in a mix of other root veggies (like potatoes, carrots & parsnips).  When you roast them you bring out a hint of natural sweetness, but they aren't really sweet in and of themselves.  They're also good in soups, pot roast and are good smashed, like mashed potatoes.  Give them a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Naantje
« Reply #755 on: July 29, 2013 06:21:09 AM »

So apparently, you really do need to give people more heads-up time for a knit-in. Nobody showed Sad Luckily the park was crowded with festivalgoers, me and my fianc did craft a bit (but I forgot to take along scissors! My fiance was going to make tiny mice for our kitten, so then you really do need scissors!) and we got some interested stares. One little girl was especially interested, but when I asked if I should teach her, she shyly declined and started doing cartwheels with a friend. Probably her parents thought her really well not to talk to strangers. Still, I wish her mum and dad (who were practically sitting right besides us) would have given her a little nudge, they could supervise. I would never approach a kid like that if their parents weren't around (I would, however, help them find their parents!)

I won't let myself be defeated though: You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take. (Wayne Gretzky) & One cannot refuse to eat just because there is a chance of being choked. (Chinese Proverb) I took a chance, I learnt, maybe next time, I'll do better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Moonflame
« Reply #756 on: July 29, 2013 06:35:53 AM »

jennieingram  You have mad canning skills, that's for sure!  To tell the truth, I'm chicken about canning - a holdover from my mom being worried about botulism.  It's odd, but trying new things scares me right up until I grit my teeth and do it.  Then I chide myself for being so silly once I've figured it all out. Tongue  Maybe I'll bite the bullet and can something this year.  The thought of having rows and rows up home-canned goods filling the pantry is So appealing.

Ant Bee  I love your S.P.E.W. update!  I can picture it all and even Hear Hagrid saying the words. Cheesy

Netchez  I've never heard of kumihimo braids before, but they look awesome!  I love your pendants, too - esp that chiming one!  Your baby hat turned out adorable!  Better watch that one closely so Dobby can't nick it!  Your Dobby Romper is darling, too!

Midkiffsjoy  That would be incredibly frustrating!  Argh!!  Your description of coming home to freshly baked bread and your mom knitting makes me want to live in a bakery/knit shop. Smiley  Oh, and I love Jean-Luc, too. Smiley

Wow - that hinkypunk essence!  So cool!!  And I love the drawer cover!  What a clever idea!  As for the moonpads - Sheeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!  So cute!!! Cheesy

I have another Quidditch assignment now that they're (mostly) dry.

Challenge: Quidditch, --Keeper: Keepers must fly "close to home" to defend their hoops.  Craft something for your own home, or for the home of a loved one.
Project Name: Purging Potion
Project Link: http://www.mykitchenescapades.com/2013/04/diy-dishwasher-tablets.html
Project Description: As I mentioned earlier, my house was built in a magical "dead zone."  This means that I have to use Muggle machines to accomplish what would otherwise be done with magic.  These dishwasher tabs work like a charm!  (No, really!)  I threw one in yesterday and the dishes came out sparkly clean!!  (And we have REALLY hard water here.)  My one caveat - Do NOT leave the tray on the washer to dry if the washer is running.  Quite a few of these were flung ruthlessly to the floor during the spin cycle.  The serendipitous part was that I had to rinse them off, and those ended up much nicer than the others, which had sticky bubbles on them by this morning.  I ended up rinsing the others off this morning, too, and patting them dry.  I guess I have a second caveat as well.  This recipe ended up VERY wet - much more so than in the pics.  I had to add more borax and baking soda.  Hmmm.  Writing that made me realise that the recipe called for WASHING soda, not baking.  Oh well, it works great with baking soda, and after looking up washing soda, I think I'll stick with baking soda for the dishes!  If you do use baking soda, watch out for bubbles when you pour in the lemon juice.  As long as your bowl is big enough, it's no problem.

After I made the tablets I *needed* a container. Smiley  I found a pic online of a vintage lemon crate label and used GIMP to change it up a little.
Project Pic:  (I experimented a bit with size/shape.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: July 29, 2013 06:47:40 AM »

jennieingram  You have mad canning skills, that's for sure!  To tell the truth, I'm chicken about canning - a holdover from my mom being worried about botulism.  It's odd, but trying new things scares me right up until I grit my teeth and do it.  Then I chide myself for being so silly once I've figured it all out. Tongue  Maybe I'll bite the bullet and can something this year.  The thought of having rows and rows up home-canned goods filling the pantry is So appealing.

To be completely honest, I was totally chicken about canning too.  I was curious, but freaked out about possible contamination, so I never quite jumped in.  I helped a friend make peaches & pickles last year, but she does those two items all the time, so there was little chance I could mess things up.  That's really why I decided to make this a NEWT project for myself.  I knew I would have to give myself some sort of push to try.  And really, that's what I love about the HPC, the fact that it pushes me to craft more, and to try new things.  After forcing myself past my initial fear, I've found it to be far easier than I imagined, and I keep finding new recipes I want to try my hand at.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: July 29, 2013 07:13:24 AM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress....

Since I might be going out of town on Thursday in order to meet my brand-new nephew, I have decided to post our August Detention prompt a few days early!  Be sure to check the Detention Page to read all about it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moonflame
« Reply #759 on: July 29, 2013 12:48:37 PM »

OWL Proposal!

~*OWL PROPOSAL HEADER*~
OWL Subject & Option(if available): Charms - Featherlight Charm
Project Name:  Tanager tank
Brief Description: I propose making myself a knitted tank top for this OWL.  The pattern I will use is a lace pattern, and the featherlight charm will cause the finished garment to be quite lightweight.  As a bonus "feather" tie-in, the yarn I will use is dyed in the colours of a blue-grey tanager.

I do have a NEWT in progress (scrapbook for a Transfiguration NEWT) and it's coming along nicely!  But from what I can tell, we can have 1 OWL and 1 NEWT going simultaneously, yes?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013 12:49:42 PM by Moonflame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 110 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Most Affordable Summer Clothes
Solange Knowles and Jenna Lyons Look Amazing at the Blue Jasmine Premiere
Lily Aldridge Is The Face of XOXO for Fall 2013
Jennifer Garner Goes Sexy to Celebrate Her First Fashion Campaign
Designer Looks For Less: Summer Shoe Trends For 2013
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...