A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Selling on Etsy?  (Read 886 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fancycrafter
« on: May 26, 2013 04:58:04 PM »

I was thinking of maybe starting to sell some crocheted items on Etsy. I was thinking coffee cozies/ mug cozies, all different kinds like ones here: http://pinterest.com/forhazel/mug-cozies/; coasters (possibly using these squares as coasters: http://zoomyummy.com/2012/09/20/crochet-3d-flower-squares-revisited/); head bands with flowers; coin purses like these: http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2012/04/crochet-coin-purse.html and little purses like this: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80313AD.html; etc. Just things that are kind of easy and don't take too long to make so I could make several if they happen to sell and so I could have a variety of things to offer. I may make stuff like amigurumi animals, scarves, and whatever else I happen to find patterns for that I like later on if I feel like sticking with something for a while (I tend to like crocheting things that don't take too much time to make so I don't get tired of just working on the same thing all the time).

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to start a shop on Etsy for crocheted items. I searched for crochet on Etsy and there were thousands of results. So, would it even be worth it to make crocheted items and try to sell on Etsy with so many of them already on the site (would the items sell)? It does take a lot of time to crochet items and I wouldn't want to make several items and then they don't sell on there, then be stuck with the items and no use for them (after spending the time making them). Any thoughts on selling crocheted items on Etsy would be appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013 05:14:07 PM by fancycrafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013 03:54:07 AM »

There is one thing you can do that will put you in a different place on Etsy.

If your pieces weigh less than a pound, and you can fit them into an 10x16 brown envelope, you can ship them via first class mail for about $2 anywhere in the country. That's what I do. And my items are made of steel.

And here's my thing that gets me the order over the others. I price my items so I can advertise FREE SHIPPING. Customers love free shipping!

You can even get a kit from the Post Office that includes a scale and you can print your own postage and they will pick it up.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013 03:56:49 AM by Chris in VT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
fancycrafter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013 08:43:59 AM »

Good idea. I will try posting a few things and price them so I can have them as free shipping. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GingerKnitter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013 03:27:58 PM »

As a person who is an avid Etsy customer, maybe I can help.

There is nothing wrong with selling your crocheted goods on Etsy, if that is your strength then definitely go with what you know. But I have a couple problems with what you said in your original post.

I may make stuff like amigurumi animals, scarves, and whatever else I happen to find patterns for that I like later on if I feel like sticking with something for a while

Using patterns to make goods for profit isn't cool. It's usually stated at the bottom of most patterns that they are only intended for personal use. If you find a pattern that states it can be used for sales, then okay, no problem. But this is not the case in most situations. As a customer, I see way too many people on Etsy using patterns that I am sure they did not get the permission to sell. If I see this, I never buy from that individual.

Also, with the creation of Pinterest, I am sure there has been a surge in sellers on Etsy and I am finding many of them are selling what they see they can make from Pinterest tutorials. There is nothing wrong with utilizing Pinterest as an inspiration board, like it was intended to be used as, but you linked to specific pins and considering what you said in the above quote, I can only imagine you may use these pins like you would with patterns. I feel like I might be coming off like I am hounding you, but that is not my intention. I am just trying to say that you recognize that there saturation in regards to crochet on Etsy, but then you list things that I have seen a lot of anyways. Basically, I am trying to implore you to find your artistic voice. Separate yourself from everything you see on Etsy, Pinterest, and other sites and make things individual to you because that's the only way you are going to succeed on Etsy if you still have the intention to sell. I'm not saying you can't make amigurumi or coin purses, but make your own patterns and have your own style. Then I'm likely to buy from you.

I think if you make a good quality product, then the problem isn't selling it, but how to stand out in the ocean of crochet goods.

Tips
-Take good quality photos. If you have small items I suggest light boxes.
-Have a lot of products to choose from. I am more skeptical of buying from someone who only has five items versus 50. The person with 50 looks way more motivated to sell.
-Be involved with the social aspect of Etsy
-Try other modes of social media. Blogging, Facebook, etc. Just don't use your own personal Facebook for this though. I had a friend who owned a store and she advertised sales all the time on her personal FB and it was very annoying and I defriended her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tease Your Hair: The Backcombing Basics
How to Make Greasy Hair Look Good
How to Make a Pretty Ponytail
Double Dare: The Ponytail Fabric
Beauty Test Lab: Amika Triple Barrel Pro-Curler Set
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...