A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gifts for Crafting  (Read 812 times)
Tags for this thread: pricing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

allthegoldstars
« on: May 25, 2013 09:22:29 PM »

Hi everyone! I've always been making things; jewelry, paintings, pillows, etc. I'm new to Craftster and I can't wait to start sharing all my work. I've stolen borrowed my mom's sewing machine and started making stuffed animals for friends. Recently I've been asked to sell some of my stuffed animals at a craft fair. I've decided for pricing I would just double/triple the price of the materials since I consider it fun to make the animals and my 'working hours' are so spastic some similar items would be the same price.
The animals range from 6" to 18", they are not incredibly detailed. Mostly monsters that are a simple shapes then I add character with various features and appendages. (I'd post pictures, but I don't have enough posts yet. Sad )
Now my problem is that a friend of mine recently gave me all her scrap material (four laundry baskets full!) as a birthday present. Mostly small pieces which I can use for stuffing, but some are big enough to make an animal or add details to ones I've started. Since I haven't paid anything for these materials (and she won't let me repay her), how am I supposed to price free things? Any ideas or advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013 04:11:04 AM »

You price that material just as you would any material you buy. Give the material an "educated guess" as to how much you would pay for it.

Once you arrive a a price for your finished work, ypu can sell your work for that price no matter how much you pay for your raw materials. That's when you have arrived at the "market value" of your craft. Then you find ways to lower your costs and make a bigger profit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
SewLicious Home Decor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013 03:10:25 PM »

I would price based on what it cost on average per yard, plus how much time it took you to make the project.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013 03:33:16 AM »

I would price based on what it cost on average per yard, plus how much time it took you to make the project.

Good luck!
And how much should we charge for our time? $5, $10, $20 an hour? If it takes three hours at minimum wage (In Vermont that's $8.60 per hour) there's a very good possibility you can price yourself right out of the market. Then you must find ways to reduce the time necessary to make it.

We have never charged for our time. Never. We find the market value of our work, find the most inexpensive way to make it, sell it at craft shows where the real money is, and what's left over after expenses is our profit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013 06:14:24 AM »

Yes, when you work for yourself, you are on salary, not hourly. A biz owner will put in more hours for less pay than anyone else in the "company". You have to price them to sell, otherwise you'll end up with a lot of inventory and end up giving the stuff away. Small = $8-10-12 range and larger $15-20-25 range. You did say they didn't have a lot of detail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allthegoldstars
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013 05:54:08 PM »

Thanks for your help guys! It's all greatly appreciated. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick the Right Jewelry for Your Outfit
How to Add Style to Spring Outfits
Key Elements of New York Style
NYC Street Fashion
New York Style For Men
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...