A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Rainbow Prom Dress: Year 11 2013 Prom  (Read 6670 times)
Tags for this thread: prom_dress , rainbow , petticoat , category_featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kazuneko78D
« on: May 25, 2013 07:52:29 AM »

UPDATE: I added in pictures of the rainbow luffa and my earrings!

This is quite a late post (prom was, like, 3 weeks ago) but I wanted to share my prom dress to maybe inspire some people  Grin Our prom was an evening event from 7:30PM-11:30PM (then after that was the after parties but I sadly wasn't invited to any)

First of all, I need to clarify that I actually got inspired to make the rainbow element of my prom dress by Chocolate_Jo ( http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=344571.0#axzz2UJIOiCCN ) so credits for the rainbow idea from her!
It felt so 'me' that I needed it in my dress Cheesy
Btw, the rainbow skirt is actually a petticoat

Then I went out to buy the materials needed...

Actually, I bought my (turquoise) shoes first from Vincci when I was in KL last december. So I walked around the shops holding one heel and holding it to almost every turqoise-ish coloured cloth. I settled with a satin material because it seems like prom to me  Grin My mom hated it though and proceeded to tell me that it made me look like a "Prom Princess", to which I replied, "I'm a Unicorn Princess, Mom!"

And I started sewing the rainbow petticoat... and finished it with a simple elastic waistband (because I was lazy).

I pinned everything loosely onto a mannequin, that is far too small for me, to see how it looked like:

(the pink straps were from the bra that I was planning to wear for prom but then was replaced by a strapless bra later)

(The bodice of the dress is based very loosely on the burdastyle pattern 'strapless corset dress' from http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/strapless-corset-dress-032010 but I drew a new bodice/corset pattern from it and improvised on the turqoise overskirt)

It looked alright so I began sewing the whole thing together, which was when hell began...
The top of the bodice was too loose and it looked saggy so I had to adjust it about 3 times. When it was time to sew the bodice and the skirt together, it took me so many tries because the many layers (mostly from the ruffled overskirt) did NOT want to get sewn Cry

The bodice was too loose and did not stayed up as a strapless (as I originally intended) so I had to add straps...
I found that the rainbow petticoat was too 'thin' so I had to add more ruffles to it. More work...

Also I broke more than enough needles when sewing in the 'not-so-invisible' zipper...

BUT finally I managed to finish without cutting off any fingers or sewing them together  Grin

I made a tiny bow to cover the raw edge in the middle of the slit haha

Btw, did anybody notice my ruffly shoes? I made them by hot glueing 'flowers' of tulle onto my cheap glittery prom shoes.

Then I took different sizes and colours of tulle and sew them together to get the luffa (it was supposed to look more like a flower) and hot glued that to a small clip. The messy table in the background is from me rummaging my dad's make-up bag XD though I only ended up using eyeliner and mascara Wink

I bought my earrings to (hopefully) match the theme  Grin

I'm actually not very happy with the way it turned out because you can see the outline of my strapless bra  Sad
However, word got around about me DIYing my prom dress and everybody was shocked at how good it was (should I feel complimented? haha) so I felt GOOD about it all night  Cheesy
My WHOLE prom outfit cost less than the prom ticket, which was $55. My outfit was about $40-45  Cheesy At least I was rejoicing about my well spent money whilst everybody else was eating themselves for spending so much  Roll Eyes

This project/outfit took me about 5 days to complete (including hours of procrastination; Borderlands 2!) plus the day of prom to make the rainbow luffa and to decorate my shoes.

Prom was REALLY fun and although the school council said there wasn't going to be any 'dancing' (as it's kinda forbidden by the gov here), a whole room was setup as the dance floor anyways. It was dark and had bright disco lights and teens dancing like they're drunk, including me XD It was the best workout I've ever had in my whole entire life!  Grin

There was also a professional photographer at the event to take free pics of us. My friends asked me for a few pics together but I was given this one:

And yes, I didn't have a partner to go with Tongue but I did take a couple of pics with a few guys and slow danced with them  Grin

Apologies for the linked images. This is my first post and I hope you guys liked it  Cheesy
Diya
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013 06:30:00 AM by meleriffic - Reason: Changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
liliv-1
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013 04:54:46 PM »

Your dress is spectacular!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gigiriv
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013 08:08:51 PM »

I LOVE this dress.  You look so cute!  and yes the ruffle on the shoes was an awesome idea.  great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrickyMcVomit
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Uniclown.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013 08:14:33 PM »

It came out GREAT!! You look awesome in it too!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Helcura

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013 09:24:38 PM »

So cute - you look great!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenitsu
Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013 09:30:35 PM »

You know sweetheart, I didnt even GO to my own prom XD
Didnt have any friends, so to me, what was the point? However, I did go to my husbands prom (we werent even in the same state!) flew clear down to FL for his senior prom, and I must say, your dress completely topped mine! My grandparents bought mine, but I honestly say, I wish I had made it instead.

Who cares about the after parties? (I didnt go to any either, just a bunch of idiots getting drunk at 90% of them), I had far more fun hanging out with my husband for a long walk in the dark =D Enjoy your work! Sit back and literaly just enjoy the fact that out of everyone there, you had the most awesome dress ever and it was entirely your work! <3 its great to see teenagers have more appreciation for hard work than the money spent on it, way to go!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013 07:31:52 AM »

Awesome dress. You did a great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Brynns Mom
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013 07:57:38 PM »

Sweetie, that is AWESOME!!!  Love the dress but especially your sweet outlook on life....the guy you marry is going to be one lucky dude!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kazuneko78D
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013 01:03:56 AM »

To: Brynns Mom, meleriffic, Tenitsu, Helcura, TrickyMcVomit, gigiriv and liliv-1
Thank you very much everybody! Cheesy I really enjoyed reading your comments and they make me more motivated to do more DIY projects.
Diya
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenitsu
Oh my, where do I start? Here? Okay!

(⌒▽⌒)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013 02:16:37 AM »

DIY all the way sister!! It's so much more fun that way =D I made my wedding dress (its posted somewhere on this board =D ) I was much happier with it than any outfit I've ever bought in my life =^.^=
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hito no ji wa hitori ja tatenai...=)

Pintrest!

You dont need to be weird to belong here...there's a tutorial for that somewhere!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pimiento Cream Cheese Finger Sandwich Recipe
Southern Pulled Pork Barbecue Sandwich Recipe
Beef and Noodles with Onion Gravy Recipe
Baked Bacon and Super Scrambled Eggs Recipe
Very Southern Cornsticks Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...