A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
343 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Quilt From My Husband's Grandma  (Read 962 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , 9_patch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: May 24, 2013 01:24:27 PM »

My husband went for a trip back home to see his family recently, and was gone for 2 1/2 weeks. I don't have that much vacation time (gotta hang on to what I have, at least for now anyways) and I ended up having bronchitis while I was here at our home.

Among the things he brought back was this wonderful quilt from his grandma. Grandma is making sure that each family and each grandchild gets a quilt from her. She finished this one for us in March, in time for our 15th anniversary.

We've hung it on a curtain rod on the biggest piece of wall in our second bedroom. I know it's technically upside down here (look at the orientation of the stars in the quilt), but on the backside is a separate patch that Shane wanted on the bottom so it would be easier to see. It's a patch with our picture on the back, with our names and Grandma's name on it. Shane wanted to be able to show it off. Although the more I look at it here, the more I think I might turn it around. I believe Grandma said this is a 9 Square quilt pattern.

The thing that really kills me is her response back when I sent her a thank you for this. I know a lot of work went into this quilt, because I've made one sewn quilt and I'll probably never make another. They are a lot of work. So I definitely had to thank her. She told me she was glad to hear from me about it and that we liked it because a lot of times, she doesn't hear back from people once they get a quilt from her!!!!

It measures 5'3"x5'9". Each one of the colored squares has a different style of quilting stitch on it. And that thin navy blue border around the quilt? Grandma actually sewed that on BY HAND with the tiniest stitches you've ever seen! Several of the baby quilts she's made are entirely handsewn.

Normally, I don't like to "save" thing for special use: candles, crystal, china, towels, etc. I like to use this stuff because what if there's just NEVER a special enough occasion?  However, in the case of this quilt, we are keeping it safe, while hanging it like this ensures that it's still out for show for all to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013 02:08:14 PM »

It's beautiful! What a wonderful gift, and I'm so glad you thanked her (but bummed other people haven't in the past!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013 06:07:28 AM »

An amazing quilt, which I'm sure you will cherish for many years to come.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
Taramor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013 03:20:42 AM »

It is a wonderful quilt, and it is so good it got a home with people who appreciate it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013 08:09:42 AM by Taramor » THIS ROCKS   Logged

GingerKnitter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013 01:28:09 PM »

This is wonderful! She definitely needs more recognition of her hard work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Style Your Hair Using A Hair Wand
Summer Travel Tips For Natural Hair
Top Knot with Volume Tutorial
Summer Hairstyles
Beer for Your Hair: Which Brew Is Best?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...