A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Broken Bondage  (Read 413 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2013 09:05:08 PM »

This is actually 3 projects that evolved to be one. 

I made the chain first simply because I was told I wouldn't be able to do it with clay.  Bet me?  It was both fun & frustrating getting the links made from fresh clay & putting tiny bits of paper between each one to separate them until they dried.  Rather than lift such a fragile piece into the kiln, I made a little tray for the chain to rest on & go in as one piece.

After the chain, I made the hand, looking at my own as a model---my left because I'm left handed.  The backside lays flat on the table.  It wasn't until I finished it that I considered putting the 2 pieces together.  The broken chain with the hand has become a symbol of the mind released from the bonds of tradition & allowed to be creative.

The dish came last & is the only part I'm not totally pleased with.  I like the overall shape & the little hump in it but didn't think it thru well enough.  The ruffled look around the edge doesn't go well with the rest.  I want to make another dish but haven't yet decided what would be best.  Perhaps make the rim smoother & turn the edges down towards the table in places?  The edge higher on one side?  Suggestions?

I added the colored sand to make the piece more cohesive.  White sounded best but didn't look right so I went with the charcoal/black.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Capture a Car in Motion
Camera Settings For Panoramic Stitching
Photographing your Wedding
Why do some Cameras have a Viewfinder/LCD?
What Is Image Stabilization?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...