A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,090
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Printing Swap Gallery  (Read 11068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2013 11:03:17 AM »

Jen sews - super cute koi print! Did you stamp it or screen print?

I screen printed it with a frame I made and some iron on vinyl.  I think the iron on vinyl may last longer than contact paper although I don't know for sure not having tried contact paper.  These are my first screens made ever!

When I use contact paper with my screen prints, it isn't meant to be permanently applied to the screen. Is vinyl pretty much permanent when you put it on the screen?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2013 01:43:05 PM »

Okay, after a long delay due to an unexpectedly hectic last couple of weeks, I can finally A) Say I sent my fabric! B) Update sent/received/feedback status (as soon as I post this) and C) Post photos of the fan-freakin'-tastic fabrics I received from smashu and ptarmic wumpus!

First, from smashu, an amazing repeat print of the life cycle of a frog on some gorgeous green linen (I think this will soon become a pillow on my sofa!).

I just love it! I love frogs...

Next, ptarmic wumpus and I decided to swap multiple pieces, and I got some great ones!

This first one is an indigo shibori with ink gyotaku (fish print of a rubber fish form). It is stunning, and I'm trying to think if I can use it to make something wearable, like a skirt. I think it might work if I use a solid fabric for the waistband and perhaps the hem.

The second one is another one with frogs! Did I mention that I love frogs? Smiley It is printed with real fern leaves, freezer paper silkscreen frogs and stenciled lumiere dragonflies. I think this one is also destined to be a sofa pillow! Love!

The last 2 are for my words & robots themes. They are fantastic, and I can't decide what to make with them (more pillows, perhaps?), so I may have to hoard them for a bit (or just give in and make more pillows!). I could use a cover for my sewing machine...hmmmm, that might be a good idea! ETA: I just noticed the word "NEEDLE" printed on the font fabric, so I think it is fate and a sewing machine cover will be perfect! ETA #2: I was so excited about my fabrics, I didn't pay careful attention to the WORDS on the letter fabric... the ones printed in blue... d'oh! And so now I see that the words "HOOK," "YARN," and "SEW" are all on there, as well... so maybe I need to use the fabric to make a crochet/sewing project bag... and the robots can be for my machine cover... The robots and letters are stamped (I thought she hand-painted the letters at first... whew, that would have been a lot of work!).

Thank you so much ladies! I truly love all of them! Now, I hope that mine come even a tiny bit close to measuring up when you finally get them (I hope the mail gods are kind...).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013 01:51:37 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Jen Sews

Formerly known as lukenlarry

« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2013 01:56:15 PM »

I screen printed it with a frame I made and some iron on vinyl.  I think the iron on vinyl may last longer than contact paper although I don't know for sure not having tried contact paper.  These are my first screens made ever!

When I use contact paper with my screen prints, it isn't meant to be permanently applied to the screen. Is vinyl pretty much permanent when you put it on the screen?

I think so sheepblue.  It kinda looks like the vinyl melts/fuses onto the fabric.  So you couldn't reuse your fabric, which would be a downside; but  my koi screen has had almost 50 prints and it still looks pretty good.  I bought the iron on vinyl at my Wal-mart for about $6/yard.  I found you do have to be very careful to use a pressing cloth.  Also the vinyl likes to stick to itself when warm. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2013 03:40:51 PM »

Edelc are you using screens or stamps? I love your robots, and the mushrooms are fabulous and vintage looking.

lino cuts for all of mine...

excellent fabrics,

KawaiiHelen, love those prints

also love the gears, feathers and leaves..and the running skeleton is great

and the fishes and frogs..I seriously love this gallery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2013 04:00:17 PM »

Okay, I finally have the time to look at the gallery and appreciate all of the fabrics. I may have commented on a few already, but to make sure I don't miss anything, I'm going through the whole gallery! Smiley

Bobomom, the fabric you made for Eiseldora is so cool, and I love how the images you printed complement the background fabric you chose! And, the tree/pond fabric you made for loulew28 is lovely. The background fabric reminds me of birch trees, and again, was a great choice for the print!

Eiseldora, the Disney fabric you made for Bobomom is so graphic, I love it! The Mickey silhouette lends itself so well to printing, doesn't it? And, I love the Dr. Who fabric you made for luckdragon, especially the Tardis. Nice detail work on that!

Abbeeroad, I love the cloud fabric you made for ptarmic wumpus, and the bicycles you made for waggonswest, and now I may have to give ice dyeing and using a flour/starch resist a try. What a cool combination of effects!

edelC, I am still in love with that flamingo fabric (and the heart fabric, too), and the robots you sent to kawaiihelen are adorable. Did you carve a stamp of the robots and little spaceship, too? The flower and vine fabrics you also sent to sloth003 are beautiful! I love how each print looks by itself, but I also love how well they work together!

ptarmic wumpus, I love the fern & mushroom fabric you sent to Abbeeroad, and the sun painted fabrics are gorgeous! Somewhere, I have a sun-painting kit, so I think I might have to dig that out and give it a try this summer. I hope I can get results as nice! What did you use as a mask for the tribal print fabric?

sheepBlue, your printing skills are impressive! I love how perfectly you registered the squid fabric for sezouli, and I love how the squid are swarming all over the fabric! The steampunk fabric you made for luckdragon is equally amazing- from the detail in the gears to the way the fabric choice complements the printed design... well, I seriously covet this fabric!

Wise One, I love how different the fabrics you made for loulew28 look, even though they are stamped with the same images. The background fabrics completely change how certain images pop on the fabric. So cool! And, I love the variety of images you used in the printing- it gives the fabric great depth!

waggonswest, I love all of the different images that you incorporated into your piece for goatgoddess- it's like an I Spy game! I love the colors you used, too. Yet another reason for me to hunt down my sun-painting kit...

PerfectlyBohemian, I am in awe of your carving skills and your design skills. I love each little framed image that you made for goatgoddess and Nolansmonster. I can carve stamps, but I never would have thought to combine them in the way (and with the variety of colors, too) that you did, but now it's something to reach for.

Nolansmomster I absolutely love your bee prints! I have a friend who has a couple of hives, and she doesn't like "cute," but I could absolutely steal your idea and make something for her. Using the chicken wire to make the coordinating fabric is brilliant! I can totally see both of those fabrics in a tote bag... And, the leaf print you made for Jen Sews is also great. I love the graphic look of the leaves! And, the use of the 2 colors on the geometric print is fantastic. I love how it creates such a great repeating pattern!

sezouli, I love how you used the honeycomb pattern in such a variety of ways for megstar's and sheepBlue's fabrics. What a neat idea! And the graphic lines of the triangle fabric are like a little maze I want to solve. If I had that fabric in my hands, I'd be tracing the lines with my fingers, and imagining the places the little paths would lead!

loulew28 I love how you made little panels of prints in each of your fabrics for Wise One. I especially love how the first one looks like a little quilt! And, how cool that you shared some of the items you used to make the sun prints (you've given me a whole new range of possibilities for when I find my sun print stuff! Smiley ).  And, the unicorn fabric that you made for Bobomom is fabulous. It's another great example of how the background fabric is the perfect choice for the printed image!

ivoryh1632, I am blown away by the multitude of framed images you printed up for Lo{ve}. Just fantastic how you combined her themes in such a classy way. Love this fabric! And, the Dr. Who themed fabric you sent to megstar is fabulous, as well. The use of the different techniques perfectly matches the theme of the fabric! Wow!

mcook, the little zombies you made for Lo{ve} are so great! Usually zombies creep me out, but these are kind of cute Smiley

Lo[ve}, that Wonder Woman image is excellent! Subtle, yet unmistakable. I'd love to have a pair of PJs with that image printed all over! I might have to do a bit of sincere flattery and imitate your design Smiley

smashu, that topography fabric is amazing! I can not believe that you matched that print by hand- outstanding! I was looking for some topographic map printed fabric last year to make an apron for my classroom, but I couldn't find any. I never thought to print my own (but it never would have come out as well). Duly impressed...

luckdragon, I love that fish print that you sent to sheepBlue, and the subtle humor of the skeletal fish swimming alongside the fully fleshed versions is fantastic. I love how even the skeleton fish have bubbles... I love the Japanese inspired fabric you made for Eiseldora, too (it would go very nicely with the fish print I got from ptarmic wumpus Smiley ). I love the look of the white against the blue- so crisp!

kawaiihelen, that Day of the Dead fabric is fantastic, but the hot air balloon fabric is supreme! Where did you get the images for both of these fabrics? Did you draw them yourself? Did you use stamps, or silkscreen them? Love, love, love... Also, I think I might have to find out where fancybutch lives and steal that space fabric. It's amazing! Such detail in your images is impressive indeed!

mcook72677, that nerd fabric that you sent to hayleylujah cracks me up! It goes perfectly with her avatar!

megstar, I love how you combined three sci-fi shows to make a fantastic fabric with such a great pattern. I love the added pops of color, too! Did you add those in by hand, or print them as a second layer? Impressive, either way! And, the sea-themed print is also wonderful. Again, I love how white looks against blue fabric!

sloth003, what a great set of fabrics you made for LeapFeetFirst! I especially love the colors of the sunprint fabric. But, I have to say, the geometric print totally pops against that red background. I love it! I'd make it into a lunch bag so I could always find my lunch when it gets buried in the fridge at work Smiley

Jen Sews, I love that little koi image and I love how you printed them on a blue background so the fabric looks like a koi pond. What a great use of a repeated image!

fancybutch, I love how graphic your prints for kawaiihelen are, both in your image choices and in your choice of background fabrics. I especially love the rockets on the moon fabric1

leather and lace, the effect of the different colors on each feather (on the fabric for Jen Sews) is really cool. How did you do that? And, I love the steampunk print! Did you hand paint the silhouettes?

WOW! I can't believe how many amazing fabrics are in this gallery. And, the variety of techniques used is inspiring! I'll definitely be trying out a few new methods for future printing projects. Kudos to everyone!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013 04:52:38 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2013 04:04:45 PM »

I think so sheepblue.  It kinda looks like the vinyl melts/fuses onto the fabric.  So you couldn't reuse your fabric, which would be a downside; but  my koi screen has had almost 50 prints and it still looks pretty good.  I bought the iron on vinyl at my Wal-mart for about $6/yard.  I found you do have to be very careful to use a pressing cloth.  Also the vinyl likes to stick to itself when warm. 

I used some vinyl as a mask to screen print a shark image not long ago. I didn't use anything else- I put the vinyl on the underside of the screen. It peeled right off after I was done, but it was adhesive vinyl (Contact Paper, actually), so I didn't need to iron it on. I got pretty good results. I only made about prints with it, so I don't know how well it would hold up in the long haul...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hayleylujah
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2013 04:14:20 PM »

leather and lace sent me some awesome fabrics! Everything is rad and I plan on making circle skirts with each type.

Pokemon fabric! With pokeballs, pikachu, bulbasaur, squirtle, and charmander.

Multi-colored avocados!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My jumbled blog of vegan rantings on food and crafts: http://limabeanlover.wordpress.com/
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2013 04:21:01 PM »

The Pokeball fabric is instantly recognizable (and this is from someone who knows almost nothing about Poke-anything...). And, that avocado fabric is a lot of fun! I like the use of the different colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2013 04:29:22 PM »

You all made fantastic fabrics.  This swap has inspired me to practice more fabric printing techniques.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2013 02:41:00 PM »

smashu - I love the frog cycle fabric! Again another masterful integration of a repeat. You have some serious skill!

ptarmic wumpus - I was wondering if you might do any gyotaku printing  Cheesy Did you use a real fish or the rubber ones you can get? It turned out great!

leather and lace - I loved the feather print you sneak peeked us before, and the poke balls turned out great! I think my fave though is the colorful avacados! I can't stand the stuff but as a print it looks fabulous. How did you do the bits of color? It looks almost painterly  Smiley The steampunk print looks awesome too! I like how you incorporated cameos with it.

Jen Sews - that running skeleton looks awesome! Leather and lace, can we please get a shot of that fabric? I want to see the whole piece  Smiley

kawaiihelen - another awesome print! The space ships are cool but I love that adorable fox print! The repeat is so seamless too. Great job!

nolansmomster - that leaf print is so simplified and classic. I love how it pops on the dark fabric background. The stamped geometric print turned out great too! I love the two layers of circles together - I'm guessing you took a page from LimeRiot's toilet tube tutorial for that one?  Wink
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013 02:44:33 PM by sheepBlue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
HuffPost Taste Test: US Vs. UK Chocolates
How to Make Baileys Sweet and Salty Krispies
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte Muffins
Homemade Cake Pop Recipe
Easy Vanilla Peach Souffle Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...