A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fun and Easy Painters' T-shirt  (Read 732 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Thundercrow
« on: May 14, 2013 10:51:26 AM »

So I had the phrase stuck in my head today of "Paint Happens" because I'm constantly covered, especially my jeans and hands. So I decided to do something fun and creative with it. I saw shirts that said similar things going online for $25 - $30 and why on earth would I do that? I mean I'm an artist and a crafty person so.... I made it myself. Cheesy

Supplies Needed:
Parchment Paper
Letter Stencils/template (optional, I didn't use them)
Fabric Paint/Acrylic Paint
Paint Brush (optional)
Plain t shirt of whatever color you want, I chose white purchased mine at hobby lobby for around $4.
Cardboard or plastic is helpful for putting between the layers of the shirt so there isn't bleed through, in a pinch you could probably layer parchment paper between too. I used a piece of plexi glass I had laying around from an old frame.

Put the cardboard or whatever you've chosen to separate the layers of the shirt, in the shirt. On parchment paper freehand your pallet design (or trace over a template you place under the paper) facing it the opposite direction you want it to be on the shirt, add paint smears and if you want to mix colors together use a brush or your finger, or whatever you have handy to make it look like a well used pallet. Flip it over onto the shirt and press down firmly then peel away.
Do the same thing for the paint brush (I chose to do this while the other design was still wet but you dont have to do it that way if you want it to be more distinct)
And for the letters do the same as above(remember to write backwards) or use a stencil to spell out your phrase.
Let dry, and wear. Mine is still in the drying process or I'd post a pic of me in it ^.^

I figure this way, when I get paint on me it will just go along with the shirt, or I may splatter it a little just for effect.

Note: Jeans were done by splattering fabric paint on them with the help of the wind, then mushing the front side together then flipping them over and repeating the process. They were then hung up to dry. I've gotten lots of compliments today while out and about Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013 11:10:24 AM by Thundercrow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to turn frustration into fascination. You will learn more being fascinated by life than you will being frustrated by it.
Smmarrt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013 11:48:36 AM »

Oooh, I want to make these with my Pre-K kids.
I'm sure the parents would love them!

Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap ROUND 3 - Working
Altered Puzzle Pieces - again!
3-D Bugs coming soon....
EllaRain
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013 03:38:07 PM »

Wonderful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
Thundercrow
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013 05:37:22 AM »

Oooh, I want to make these with my Pre-K kids.
I'm sure the parents would love them!

Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome, if you do it with the kids post some pics of what the shirts look like, I'd love to see them. I plan on doing this with my son soon, this was kind of a test run, also considering doing it on ty-dye ^.^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to turn frustration into fascination. You will learn more being fascinated by life than you will being frustrated by it.
Thundercrow
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013 05:38:19 AM »

Wonderful! 

Glad you like it ^.^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013 09:55:12 PM »

I like!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
Thundercrow
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013 05:25:50 AM »

I like!!  Cheesy
Thanks! ^.^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Slow-Cooked Jambalaya Recipe
How to Make The Fluffiest Pancakes
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe for the Big Game
ChocoChicken In L.A. Will Serve Chocolate-Flavored Fried Chicken
KD101: DIY Toaster Pastry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...