A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,741
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garbage Bag Quilt- Freebie Score! Now With Pics!  (Read 1025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 13, 2013 11:04:03 PM »

It's the most wonderful time of the year:  College Graduation!  Ah yes, the time when students move out of their apartments and dorm rooms, only to realize they have too much to take with them.  Time for totally awesome finds!

This year my seriously awesome find is a tie.  A New In Box boot dryer (silent variety and fully functional), and a quilt I found in a garbage bag.  I didn't expect much more than a store bought quilt at first, but when I pulled it out I was amazed.

I found a lap quilt made with some really gorgeous batik fabric, and another lovely ocean creature print.  The bad part- there are bars of black totally non-matching flannel run between segments of the quilt.  Whomever sewed it didn't even add any interfacing, so the flannel (obviously) started to pull away at all of the seams.  There are two tiny places where not enough seam allowance was left on the regular cotton, but that is fixable.   I was stunned how beautiful it looked once I washed it too!  

Taking a closer look- it appears the entire piece could really use a nice boarder, and the backing will need to be enlarged, as the front was sewn under anywhere between 3 and 4 inches when the back was attached.  

On the cool side of things, the person(or people) who made it got creative.  Rather than batting, it is lined with a piece of polar fleece.  Neat idea for a quilt up here!  

My hypothesis about the quilt:
1.  Someone didn't fully realize all of the work involved after finding a pretty fabric they liked.  Towards the end of working on it, they just wanted to be done so they slapped it together the way I found it, ended up getting sick of it as the flannel pulled out at the seams and dumped it.  
2.  Same start of someone getting in over their head either work-wise or time-wise, and ditched a half sewn quilt as a bag of fabric.  A second person picked it up, figured on the flannel and slapped it together as their first quilt ever.  

So I think I'll try and find some complementary fabric to add a boarder.  I think I might do away with the strips between panel sets, since I think it breaks up the beauty of the fabric patterns too much.  I have seen some at a few local fabric places that have both similar colors and carry the ocean theme very well.  Thoughts... ideas....

I want to do something about the back fabric to enlarge it.  Do you think a boarder on the back would look odd?  Maybe if I got fancy and ended up making it something different like satin or velvet?  

Or should I cut it in half and add a different color fabric shot through the middle as a spacer?            

I may keep the idea of polar fleece as the batting, I can keep the original bit and end up getting some clearance stuff to add in.  It gets so cold that the extra warmth is nice up here.

Before pictures forthcoming, I'm having issues with photos at the moment...   Angry

ETA- Here are some pictures of the original state

Whole quilt- don't mind the blur, I was standing on my trash can to get it all in one shot.

Both sides for a closer look at the fabric.

The back.

Some of the damage up close. 
There were also three blocks that had pulled at the seams that needed attention. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013 02:38:31 AM by Listessa - Reason: Added Pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013 08:05:08 PM »

I've used fleece as batting before. It worked really well.

As for the backing, you could easily add a border, or a focal strip or strips, or really whatever you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013 02:53:22 AM »

Cheesy  Thanks, meleriffic! 

I got really excited about this, and finally made some progress (other than being a crazy fabric seeker) over the past week. 

My seam ripper and I are on a first name basis -  I removed all of those black flannel strips and everything else so I can deal with the strips of blocks more easily. 

There's half of the quilt strips. 

The other half each had a random 4-square block that had issues.  So I removed them, straightened them, stitched them back together, and shot the seams with Fray Check.  It looks like the prior quilter hadn't heard of cutting things straight (or properly to size), nor did they ever touch an iron.  My repaired blocks look like they are supposed to, with seams that were opened before the next pass.  Not so much for the others. 

The strips in need of repair.

I slacked off for two weeks straight, since it has been way too hot to run an iron inside (no AC and high 80s).  Imagine that- Alaska being hot... 

Tonight I got a lot further.  Blocks are repaired and reattached to strips.  They are all ironed properly too.  I did a layout on my bed, and labeled which strip I want where before hanging them up to prevent wrinkles.  I also drew a layout so I figured out how large I will make and what I'm doing for a boarder on the front.

I also chose which fabrics are going to be my additional blocks!  I'm adding one block on each side of the existing strips.  The patterns on the quilt as is seem to be general ocean themed stuff.  My new fabric has more of a coastal Alaska/Bearing Sea look.  Kind of fitting, since I moved from the East Coast up here. 

Finally I got those fabrics ironed tonight so I can cut my new block bits tomorrow.  (It got late, but I'm so pumped about it I had to gush!)

I'll mess with pictures tomorrow.  It's going to be SO cool!!!

And I think I have the start of a rudimentary plan for the back.  I have some large panel fabric and a large print that might make it somewhat of a reversible quilt.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013 09:21:30 PM »

Sounds good. Your quilt is going to turn out great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Makeup Tricks to Beat the Heat
How to Apply Gel Eyeliner
Makeup Expert Kandee Johnson Transforms Into Lady Gaga in 30 Secs
11 Easy Tricks to Simplify Your Makeup Routine
Get the Perfect Summer Tan ... No Sun Required
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...