A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Emulsion-Free Screen Printing (Yudu hack) - mini tutorial  (Read 3370 times)
Tags for this thread: screen_printing , yudu , yudu_hack , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2013  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 12, 2013 09:49:40 AM »

I've had a Yudu for a few years now, and while I love how it made me less afraid of screen printing, I hate working with the emulsion sheets. I know there are other emulsion options, but the drying time between each step was my least favorite part (confession: because I usually wait until right before the deadline before I do things).

But then, I came across a blog post somewhere that said you could use vinyl on a screen. I knew I could use cut black vinyl as a mask to burn the image in the emulsion, but that's all. The post wasn't 100% clear on where the vinyl went on the screen, but after I let my brain chew on it for a bit, it spit out the answer: on the underside.

I was just in the Sea Creature Swap, and my partner loves sharks, and listed the hammerhead as a possible theme in her questionnaire. I found an image of a tattoo design, but when I imported it into my vinyl cutting software, it needed a lot of cleaning up, so I spent a couple of hours working on that. Because of how I did the settings on the vinyl cutter (a Silhouette), it came out a little bit differently than the original tattoo design.

I used Contact Paper as the vinyl and cut it out. I then transferred the cut design (after weeding out all of the non-essential bits) to the back of the screen. Then, on both sides I went over it with the edge of a credit card to make sure it was stuck on there as well as it could be.

Back/Underside of the screen:

Front/Top of the screen:

I covered up any exposed areas around the edges with clear packing tape.

Then, I did a test print on a piece of muslin (shown here stitched up as a drawstring bag for the swap):

It came out pretty well, so I did another test print on a t-shirt (for me to keep), and it also came out well. There are a couple of spots where it bled a smidgen under the edges, but because of the design, it's not that noticeable:

Finally, I printed on 2 microfiber pillowcases. Right after I printed the second one, I turned to look at the first one and noticed that the ink had bled around the image, giving it a grey outline. Since it didn't happen at all on the muslin or t-shirt, I'm attributing it to the fabric. But, it ended up looking kind of cool, so I sent them along as an "extra" in the swap (and came up with a replacement item for the "official" item Smiley ).

When I was done, I peeled off the vinyl (and packing tape), washed off the screen with tap water, and I was done. No emulsion to fuss with, no expensive emulsion remover to buy!

I'm definitely going to use this method again! I did have a bit of trouble transferring the vinyl onto the screen because I didn't have enough transfer tape, so I had to peel of the backing of the vinyl and press it onto the screen as I went. I had a little stretching of the vinyl (it didn't help that I didn't have a lot of time to fuss with it), but it wasn't a problem in the end. But, if I do a more detailed design in the future, I need to use a different method to transfer it. I read somewhere that I might be able to use clear Contact Paper as the transfer tape (less expensive than buying transfer tape at the craft store), so I'll have to try that for the next time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013 11:47:34 AM »

The print looks great!

Just a tip to prevent bleeding. Your squeegee pressure affects how much bleeding there will or won't be. Make sure you're pressing firmly - I've worked with tons of contact paper stencils before and have had great success  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013 01:58:02 PM »

Thanks for the tip, sheepBlue! I think that the little bit of bleeding under the vinyl (not the grey outline phenomenon) probably came about because I was working with such a big piece of vinyl and I pretty much applied it by hand. I actually tore it in 2 places, but managed to match it up nicely, and it didn't even show. I did have a few wrinkles on the edges, even though I burnished the heck out of it. I think the grey outline bleed was probably made worse because I had to thin the ink with water, so it looks like the capillary action of the microfiber just wicked the extra water, plus a bit of color, outwards.

For my first attempt with using vinyl, I'm still pretty impressed with myself! But, I definitely learned a lot, and I'll add your tip to the wisdom I've collected along the way Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013 02:16:13 PM »

My edges will wrinkle sometimes too. When peeling off the backing to the contact paper its almost impossible to get it to lay perfectly but the pressure from the squeegee pushing the ink over the surface will fix it so it shouldn't bleed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013 02:38:16 PM »

I just got a couple of "Pro" Squeegees at JoAnn Fabrics (on clearance!), so maybe that will help me keep a more even pressure. I have a lot more muslin (plus a ton of this tan fabric that I bought for who knows what), so I can play around with it and perfect my technique. I know what I'll be doing this summer! I think for Christmas, everyone is going to get a screen printed something... I think I see stacks of tea towels in my future for starters...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013 02:46:36 PM »

ooh nice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013 03:48:14 PM »

ooh nice...

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dressuponacloudyday
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013 07:13:58 PM »

Ooh do you like your silhouette? I hand cut stencils a lot so I really want to indulge in myself and buy one, but I'm still on the fence about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013 02:49:48 PM »

I love my Silhouette! Although, I'm still learning how to use it for some materials... like freezer paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oleeka
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013 02:07:17 PM »

What type of vinyl adhesive do you think is safe for the Yudu screens?  I saw a guy on YouTube who used vinyl, but he didn't say what type (just "regular sign vinyl").  I've got both repositional and permanent vinyl and don't want to screw up my screens with the permanent if I should avoid it.  The only reason I'd use the permanent is 'cause I have it and won't be using it up anytime soon. Any advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Change Has Come Book Trailer
Venkat Ramaswamy and Francis Gouillart Talk About The Power of Co-Creation
The Last Invisible Boy Book Trailer
Sean Covey Talks About The 7 Habits of Happy Kids
The Playbook Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...