A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hedge's - Yay or Nay?  (Read 307 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lady4feet
« on: April 16, 2014 06:22:23 PM »

So to make a long story short I do not like hedge rows like we have in our front yard. I think they make the house look boring and dated. I originally wanted to rip every other one out and then cut the ones left to be smaller and rounder. But I was told by a guy with a lot more yard experience then me that since our hedges have grown together for so long that when I ripped them out the ones that are left will not recover like I want them to. He suggested just ripping them all out and starting with a blank slate, which sound like a nice idea but expensive.

Enter my dilemma, we are planning on moving in a few years so I want something that is going to be nice and neutral enough to attract buyers and I don't want to sink a lot of money into landscaping (we need to be saving for the big move instead).

Here is my humble abode so you can get an idea of what I mean.

I should also add that I am going to be painting the door and shutters a nice bright blue so I am hoping that will help with my case of boring house.

So I thought I would turn to you lovely folks, what do you think? Is my opinion totally wrong and hedgerows rock? Any other suggestions then the ones mentioned?

Also I am in southwest GA so most plants grow great here if that effects anyone's suggestion/opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014 11:11:42 PM »

Grew up in Florida...KEEP THE HEDGE!! Anything that grows good is NOT a weed. Just figure how to shape it better, or cut it away from the house, if need be. You are better to leave the original than start again. Trim it, mulch it nicely...add some pansy or marigolds around the base, or another flower of choice...show palace theatre.  Grin My two cents. Of course my yard looks like crap right now. We just got snow yesterday!  Roll Eyes

~T

Whoops. Should add that I am in Tennessee, now. For all the head scratchers thinking...it doesn't snow in Florida  Shocked

Edit: I agree it looks a bit "dated", but that may appeal to certain people {old farts}. And if they wish to change it up, they can still look at the footprint, and pick what they like to fix it for themself.

I know about the appeal of the "drive by" purchase, but people who are serious look beyond the little stuff. When they see the sign and are wanting the neighborhood, they will sniff it out!

If you want to sell, get rid of all your extras...YARD SALE TIME!!!  Grin You don't have to paint walls. Nix whatever your sales agent tells you. People want to pick their own colors. Just wash the walls so they look nice. And clean out the clutter so the house looks large  Cheesy An echo works good here.

Just ideas. I have sold several homes and worked with several realty companies.

Hope these ideas help!

~T
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014 11:31:31 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014 11:59:49 PM »

I would keep the hedgerows.
I don't think they look dated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014 04:34:20 AM »

Oh my goodness. I have so much to say about this topic. I am up in Massachusetts, but I feel like this advice is universal.  Roll Eyes

We just bought our house a few years ago -- it was a home that had been redone (read flipped -- but a good flip!), but they had done NOTHING to the yard. We had these hedges that ran wild and were enormous. We have hauled a lot of them out, and I honestly have to say, I can never recommend that anybody do that on their own. We did, but it was a crazy amount of work, and ended up being expensive anyway because we had to hire someone to haul all the brush away for us. And then you have the roots... ah, the roots. That's another project. You'll either end up having to grind the stumps down (and they will still be visible) or will somehow have to dig all the roots out and that isn't pretty. And also not cheap because you will definitely be calling someone to help you do that too.

Even if you want to experiment and haul one hedge out -- I wouldn't recommend it. Once you haul one of them out, you'll see all the parts where it grew into the shrub next to it and it is not going to look ok. You will end up hauling them all out, so you really need to be in all the way if you're going for it. I learned this the hard way.

I honestly think the hedges at your house look lovely -- and home buyers don't want anything terribly creative. (They are going to change things anyway. If you paint your shutters blue, there's a good chance someone doesn't like blue and will paint them red. Or white. Or whatever. If you like blue and want blue shutters, then do it for you! But not for a potential buyer.) If you are looking for a little bit of color, maybe put in a low garden in front of the shrubs? Something simple like impatiens or flowers that fill out quite a bit?

If you are only planning on living there another year or two, my two cents is that you let the hedges be someone else's project! I say that from the bottom of my heart. Cheesy And good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'd love to see pictures of the finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014 04:48:26 PM »

Thank you all for your reply's.

stillatthetop our neighborhood is currently a lot of older folks so you may be right about it holding an appeal, lol. This is our second home and with our first home we jumped head first into a houseful of projects, we ended up being in way over our head (and budget). We are currently trying to get the first home market ready (lots of issues) so this real estate journey has been a big learning experience.

SonjaBoo thank you for sharing your story, that was exactly what I needed to hear  Cheesy

I think I am going to plant some flowers and maybe some other plants to make the hedges look more like a total picture instead of just stuck out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014 05:47:50 PM »

Hostas. They grow great, as do Caladium in your zone. Hostas is one that will come back year after year.

Caladium will not. Don't think like I did, that you killed it  Grin Caladium dies yearly {an annual, not perennial}.

But they are pretty.  Cheesy And they fill in the flower bed well. And grow well in the shade underneath shrubs and such. For both of these. No special flowers...just the "meat" in between to background the pretty stuff.

Then plant your pretty flowery plants beside them. Out to the front edge. At least that is how I would do it.  Cheesy

I hope you get your fancy house a hopping.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanting 6" x 6" I spy panels. For a quilt like this:
http://www.grammasbabystuff.com/I_Spy_-_Hill_3_Finished_Smaller.jpg
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson.
http://www.pinterest.com/topofthehill298/
SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014 08:34:01 AM »

Ooh, good call on the hostas! I love those. They fill out very nicely and there are actually quite a few varieties that you can choose from, lady4feet. Easy to care for too, and love the shade.

I am glad my rambling may have helped! Grin I apologize for such a long post. We have had two years of hedge projects. I am evidently very passionate about the topic. Ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use GIMP Freeware Image Editor
How to Convert Images Into Icons in Gimp
How to Make Animated Wallpapers in Gimp
How to Speed Up Videos Using Camtasia Studio
How to Create Water Droplets in Gimp
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...