A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
789 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dip dye shorts, I need help with colors!  (Read 946 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ingridm
« on: May 12, 2013 04:43:34 AM »

I need some help with dye colors since I'm making a dip dye shorts.
I have this inspiring picture I'm going after, and I want to use similar colors to the pink and blue. I've asked the business who made the shorts which dye brands and color names they used, but they say they can't share their secrets. What a bummer.

Here's some pictures of the shorts that I need help to figure out the dye names.

Since this is a craft forum, I figured that you know something about dying. I'm wondering if you can help me with which colors in the dye jungle these are similar to? I've figured out that the blue looks very much like the sky. And the pink is not really fushcia, not cerise but more of a baby pink.

I know that the colors come off a lot when I'm washing the shorts in the end of the process. And it's especially the blue color I need help with. It's so hard.
 I've looked at Rit dye's color map, and the most similar color I've found there is Evening Blue. Does anybody have experience with this?
I've also looked up on Dylon Ocean Blue, but some people say it's more of a purple, and I don't want that. I want the intense, sky blue color.

Someone please help! I need to order it online since my country don't have much of a selection, so I need to know that the colors I order are gonna come out like in the pictures above.
 Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlenaSelene
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013 06:18:19 AM »

It's impossible to guarantee results with home dying. To make things even more complicated, colors can appear different on different computer screens, and different also from real life.

This looks like a low-water immersion method.

There's nothing wrong with Rit dye, it's a good all purpose product. But, I don't think it will fit your needs.

I suggest using a fiber reactive dye like Procion MX. It's easier to get better color matches.

Start with white, 100% cotton shorts. Synthetic fibers won't dye, and dying over a colored fabric can be unpredictable.

Lots of info about products and tutorials at Dharma Trading Co and ProChemicalandDye.c om

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Double Crochet Stitch
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 9/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 6/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 8/12
How to Loom Knit a Holiday Stocking Part 4/12
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...