A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How can I fix this????????????????????? (my sweetie messed things up)  (Read 791 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TreasuredPerfections
« on: May 11, 2013 11:57:12 AM »

We are having a yard sale and I have put some of my business jewelry out. Things I normally sell for $7 I was selling for $2-$4 because tomm. is mothers day. So anyways Dear Husband (DH) was outside with the sale, I'm indoors with the kids cause it's chilly. He brings me out after about 10min of talking with the guy & he just says to me

customer- "I like your jewelry & your husband said you can make me 25 pairs."

Me-Sure can sir...which were you interested in.

him- this and these...how long will it take you for 25 pairs

DH pipes in---oh she can crank earrings out quick, prob an evening or two

Customer---how about $1 a pair

Me-NO

DH-$1 is just cost

Customer $2 would be double cost then?

DH---ya

Customer to DH while one of the kids came out for me---ok here's my info...25 pairs in 2 weeks for $2 a piece & these are which I want.

sooooooooo DH messed up two things...told the customer that I do em quick (less labor) & told the customer my at cost. I can't very well charge someone knows what it costs me like 7 times that let alone when they know it only takes me a few min...

Here's where I need your help. how do I tell DH to stfu about that stuff without pissing him off? Also customer told me his name & he's a very influential man locally, I recognized his name. Apparently he was also talking to DH about this poss. becoming a regular thing him buying our items to re-sell to some people in his biker club. How do I tell customer I want to up my profits for the next batch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013 04:19:18 AM »

You should have said something when he agreed to $2. Something like "NO".

Do the order.

Then sit down with your DH and explain to him your process for calculating your prices. Our general rule of thumb is a minimum of 3 times cost. And sometimes that is far below market value which is why you normally charge around $7. THAT'S the market value of your work. Then tell him you will not do any more orders for that price. Your wholesale price (keystone) is $3.50 each when a dozen or more are ordered. And stick to it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudio s.com
ivoryh1632
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013 04:44:33 AM »

since your customer is a big shot around town and you don't want to offend him or lose his business, when you explain that the next batch is going to be more, you can tell him that the first order was a special introductory price or something along those lines, and that your normal price is X dollars. or explain to him that you don't normally do such big orders and didn't realize how labor intensive it was therefore the next batch will cost more to make up for that, because i totally understand that you don't want to tell him "my idiot husband f-d up on the price"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwistMySister
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013 06:56:20 AM »

Ha ha ha! Great advice from both above ^ I couldnt have said a better response. I agree!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/On-The-Front-Line/175858075802771

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnTheFrontLine
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013 05:23:14 AM »

Mr. Influential can afford to pay more than $2 for earrings, and he would re-sell for plenty more. He's taking advantage of you. Unfortunately, you were right there when the conversation was taking place. If you're able to contact him directly, I would just tell him your husband sort of took over and you didn't know what to do at the time, then you can tell Mr. I what's really what. If he accepts it, great, if not, the guy's just a cheap jerk you don't want to work for anyway.

As far as DH goes, the truth is best. Say thanks for helping me, but we're losing money this way and how much is he going to give you each month to make up for slave wages paid by Mr. I?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Holiday Wreaths
Homemade Halloween Costumes
Basic Tips for Operating a Monster Puppet
How to Make Plant Markers Out of Spoons
Capri Style Table Decoration
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...