A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A returning newbie from Scotland  (Read 589 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ClickCait
« on: June 17, 2013 11:36:52 AM »

Hi,

I'm Cait and I was a member here many many moons ago. But it's been a long time and I have no idea what my name would have been back then, let alone what email address I would've used. So I decided it was time for a fresh start.

Since I last hung out here I've taught myself to knit. It was kind of a case of seeing what a friend had knitted herself and thinking 'anything you can do I can do better' so I set about learning how to knit things. Mostly misshapen squares.

Since then I've gotten better and better. I've learned how to correct my mistakes though I'm still learning even now, the latest technique I've picked up is Swiss Darning/Duplicate Stitch for the tartan trousers on the bagpipe player I'm knitting.

I like quick projects so I tended towards hats and baby clothes but then a friend got me into the Jean Greenhowe patterns. Ironically I put her onto them as then saw what she was making and decided I had to get some booklets for myself. I've made Puss in Boots, the Grandma Humpty Dumpty in my avatar and a Postman Hedgehog (who my husband has named Cyril).

I live on a small Scottish island with my husband and our crazy labrador (Tara), we also have two elderly girl rats (Carol and Ivy, their sisters who are no longer with us were Holly and Bell). I'm currently in the final summer break for my degree with the Open University in English Language and Literature. I love reading and I'm fascinated by linguistics. I'm a big geek and love all things Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Doctor Who (amongst others).

I'm excited to share some of my projects here and I'm hoping to take part in a craft swap or two (I think my husband is worried about the house becoming overrun by small stuffed toys).

Cait
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VegJess

Pretending to be a functioning adult is exhausting

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013 01:43:02 PM »

Hi! I'm new here too (well, I'm new-new here, lol)... want to be buddies? We have tons in common... You see, I love Doctor Who and LOTR. I'm into knitting things. I
have two older-gentleman-couch-doggies (one is a black lab/chow named Snowball; the other is an American pit/anything else named Buddy). I don't have any rats... But I do have a cat and that rhymes with rat ;-P (his name is Wigglesworth).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClickCait
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013 10:00:54 PM »

Can't say no to new friends. Wink it's always good to find people who share your interests.

I wish Tara would be more of a couch-pup. She's nearly two and is very much a puppy still. As I type this she's chasing a bee around the garden when she should be doing her morning business! But I'd hate to miss out on this stage really. Wigglesworth is a great name for a cat. Smiley

Were you saying about learning to crochet as well in your intro? I can't seem to get the hang of it myself. So far all I've ever produced is a wonky looking chain but I'm determined to figure it out some day.

Look forward to seeing you around here. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VegJess

Pretending to be a functioning adult is exhausting

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013 05:09:28 AM »

I'm not even sure my chain stitch could even qualify as a wonky chain yet... Lol. But I'm hoping that it will evolve :-). Maybe we can do a crochet learn-along someday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClickCait
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013 10:01:58 AM »

A learn along sounds like a good idea. It'd be good to have someone to stmpathise with when its not going at all well and you feel like throwing it all at the wall. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013 12:15:35 PM »

Welcome!  There are plenty of craftalongs for many of your mutual interests!  Some of the boards have very specific craftalongs, i.e. just knitting, and some (like the ones in the craftalongs section!), have a mixed bag of "alongs"...

Here are two you might be interested in:

DR. WHO (yep, I am also a Whovian!) Grin--- http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=403539.msg4748488#msg4748488

Cos I also knit! ---- http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=390433.msg4622370#msg4622370

have fun and explore--a bunch of people will be happy to help you--and we all love pictures of your projects! Grin
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013 12:16:01 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Hiroshi
How to Draw Hinata Hyuga
Behind The Scenes: IDW Comic-Con Exclusives
How to Draw Frankenstein Doctor
How to Draw Final Fantasy Characters
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...