I thought up a new layout for my Eventually Granny Square
blanket. This is my second attempt at the layout, and I like this one much better! I like the colours better than the last one (although, the green seems a bit off to me...), and I actually did the right number of rounds this time, so the shapes look better and the blanket is a usable size.
In fact, I was originally making this for a baby, but when I saw the finished item I thought it looked more like a child's blanket. It will be going to charity as soon as I find one that is collecting children's blankets.IMG3263
, on Flickr
This layout required one more technique that isn't listed in the original pattern, and that is what you do when you're joining a valley to a point. I don't have pictures of it yet, but what you do is a dc2tog decrease that grabs the point halfway through. Or: yarn over, insert hook in next space, yarn over and pull up a loop (three loops on hook), yarn over and pull through two loops (two loops on hook), insert hook through the point space, yarn over, insert hook in the next space of the part you're working into, yarn over and pull up a loop (four loops and a corner point on hook), yarn over and pull through two loops (three loops and a corner point on hook), yarn over and pull through everything being careful not to snag the yarn of the corner point (one loop on hook).
I also played a bit with the joining method - I wanted the green "outside" squares to look like they were behind the border parts they were next to, and to do this, I would remove the hook and put it through the coloured part and grab the green yarn again when working the green squares, and when I was working on a coloured border area and attaching it to a green square, I did not remove the hook, I put it from front to back through the green square and made a slip stitch. It's a small thing, but I think it makes for a better looking pattern. ^_^