A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Eventually Granny Square Crayon blanket  (Read 1036 times)
Tags for this thread: crochet , blanket , granny_square  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2013 10:13:29 AM »

I thought up a new layout for my Eventually Granny Square blanket.  This is my second attempt at the layout, and I like this one much better!  I like the colours better than the last one (although, the green seems a bit off to me...), and I actually did the right number of rounds this time, so the shapes look better and the blanket is a usable size.

In fact, I was originally making this for a baby, but when I saw the finished item I thought it looked more like a child's blanket.  It will be going to charity as soon as I find one that is collecting children's blankets.

IMG3263 by fantasticmio, on Flickr

This layout required one more technique that isn't listed in the original pattern, and that is what you do when you're joining a valley to a point.  I don't have pictures of it yet, but what you do is a dc2tog decrease that grabs the point halfway through.  Or: yarn over, insert hook in next space, yarn over and pull up a loop (three loops on hook), yarn over and pull through two loops (two loops on hook), insert hook through the point space, yarn over, insert hook in the next space of the part you're working into, yarn over and pull up a loop (four loops and a corner point on hook), yarn over and pull through two loops (three loops and a corner point on hook), yarn over and pull through everything being careful not to snag the yarn of the corner point (one loop on hook).

I also played a bit with the joining method - I wanted the green "outside" squares to look like they were behind the border parts they were next to, and to do this, I would remove the hook and put it through the coloured part and grab the green yarn again when working the green squares, and when I was working on a coloured border area and attaching it to a green square, I did not remove the hook, I put it from front to back through the green square and made a slip stitch.  It's a small thing, but I think it makes for a better looking pattern. ^_^

THIS ROCKS   Logged

magicfan
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013 08:07:36 AM »

Project Linus is a wonderful organization. I send blankets to them all the time. If you look on their website you can find who to mail to in your area! That is so colorful and happy looking. I agree an toddler or young child would love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anderlance
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013 03:31:15 PM »

What a lovely blanket!  The fact that you made it for charity makes even more lovely. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetCraftster

My cute pet bunny! :)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013 04:18:00 PM »

This is so cool! I love the colors. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dress Made From Wine
Summer Fashion Tips for Showing Off Your Legs
Style Rat at Governors Island: Retro Twenties Fashion
How to Give Your Collared Top a Gypset Style Twist
3 New Ways to Wear the Peplum Trend Right Now
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...