A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Idea for a dress I'm not sure will work...  (Read 403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shayneblate08
Craft-aholic and not looking to quit!

Crafty Weirdo and Proud of it!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 08, 2013 03:13:26 PM »

SO here's my idea. I have the gorgeous floral fabric, its like a silk crinkle charmeuse with zero stretch. And I want to make a dress. I cannot find a pattern I like enough but anyway here's the elements I want it to have:

a shirred empire panel connecting the bodice to the skirt. a skirt that is really really full and reaches just past my knees, and fluttery short sleeves.

I am deciding between whether or not to put an invisible zipper in the back, but I really want it to button all the way down the front of the dress with these beautiful covered shank buttons that match the fabric perfectly

The fabric is thin and sheer (I'm making a slip to wear under too) so I don't want to use interfacing if I don't have to, because it will stiffen the fabric too much. So I'm thinking I can just self face the entire button placket. I think the neckline will just be a regular scoop neck.

So my question is, would it be feasible to cut the skirt as multiple triangular panels (similar to gores) and then shirr the top of them, then just connect them to my bodice? Also, how much should I estimate for shirring? I have a limited amount of fabric (4 yards, but I'm plus sized) and I would like to be able to calculate how much fabric I'll need to shirr. I want the strip to be 4" wide. SO if my midriff measurement is X would I just multiply that by 2 or should I do 3?
I'm using elastic thread as my shirring device.

OR should I cut the strip, shirr it, then cut the skirt and attach that via gathering, and then attach the bodice?

Thanks for any input Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlenaSelene
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013 02:15:12 PM »

I rarely make mock ups because making a garment is expensive and time consuming enough, making a mock up, even a partial, just adds to the time and expense.

But, that's what I'd recommend here because you have a limited amount of fabric, shirring or ruching or gathering makes it trickier to determine how much fabric is needed. You can experiment with the mock up to get the right amount of fullness while still staying within your fabric quantity limits.

Interfacing the front opening of a garment adds strength to support buttons and buttonholes and prevents the fabric from collapsing along the front.

If your design includes a lot of ease and there is little or no stress on the buttons, it might work for a while, but your garment won't last.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlenaSelene
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013 02:17:45 PM »

Another idea is to make the buttons strictly decorative, and use a back zipper or a zipper hidden under one arm to get the garment on and off. A self facing should be strong enough to support lightweight decorative buttons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 4/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 5/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 7/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 8/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 6/12
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...