A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweat Shoppe Swap Round 31 (signups end 5/27, Send by June 26)  (Read 30778 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eiseldora
« Reply #300 on: June 26, 2013 08:37:50 PM »

while international shipping has increased since the new year. I would also like to voice a vote against a USA only swap.

I don't want to limit our talent pool by geography.

I hope I get to participate in the next round.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kbrison
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: June 26, 2013 09:09:52 PM »

I sent today...I feel like a total slacker waiting until the last minute. Embarrassed Been busy with the house and garden so at least I am being productive! Cheesy

I think this may be my last round though as international shipping was crazy. I am sure glad I only had one international package!  Maybe a round with USA only in the future?

Noooooooo!!! No USA only!! Please! I know international shipping is crazy, most of my packages are international. I think 1 only have one Canadian package this time around, but I love this swap!

I agree with mama24boyz - no USA only please!!  I sent all my packages international this time and they were only $2.20 each.  I've learned that making things that are flat is the best way to go, then you can send like an oversized letter rather than a package.

I love being able to swap with all our International friends, but shipping cost me over $100 this round. $90 of that was for three non-USA packages. I was teaching this past year and could afford that. I won't be working  next school year, so I won't have the funds to swap as much as I did this year. Homer, you've given us some good advice on ways to make swapping more affordable. Maybe we need to address this issue on the boards. Other swappers may have more ideas for ways to reduce the cost we pay to swap across borders. Isn't it sad when our generosity towards one another costs us so dearly?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
125/50 in 2014, 47/50 in 2013
Quilt Block Swap 6 - sent
Mini 12 Days of Christmas- 4/12 done
Mug Rug Swap - sent
Sweat Shop Ornament Swap - sending
Holiday Tag Swap Rd 2 - designing
deadsweaters

There's no space for anything but dreaming.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2013 09:57:52 PM »

while international shipping has increased since the new year. I would also like to voice a vote against a USA only swap.

I don't want to limit our talent pool by geography.

I hope I get to participate in the next round.

Completely agree!  I think it is amazing to receive things that were made in other countries!  I love having something made for me from someone who lives in an entirely different environment and vice versa. It does get pricey but I find it gratifying!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #303 on: June 27, 2013 05:18:01 AM »

I purposefully offered all very lightweight items, but the international shipping is where everything hit the fan.  I guess I just wasn't expecting it.  do flat items ship for that much less?  something to consider in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.com
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #304 on: June 27, 2013 08:24:58 AM »

I purposefully offered all very lightweight items, but the international shipping is where everything hit the fan.  I guess I just wasn't expecting it.  do flat items ship for that much less?  something to consider in the future.

Flat does make a difference.  I had packed all my penny necklaces in bubble wrap and the cost to Canada was $6.  The PO clerk who is my friend recommended that I remove that and the shipping went down to $2. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deathbeforedishes
Embroidery Addict

She believed she could, so she did.

« Reply #305 on: June 27, 2013 09:32:06 AM »

Shipping a box internationally always costs more, so I always offer things that can be shipped in bubble mailers.  That tends to lower the cost.  I am assuming the flatter and lighter the better, as far as costs go.  Cheesy

I chose 3 items for this swap, because of that reason. It wasn't too bad though, because I sent all of my within my own country. I love swapping internationally, but I can understand how the cost can make it harder to do.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/leilaninaomi/

5/50 2014 Projects
53/50 2013 Projects (woohoo!!!)
I do personal swaps!
Cheesy
sweetyetevil

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: June 27, 2013 10:38:51 AM »

Holy moly, I did not mean to raise a ruckus with the international shipping comment lol
I try to make something different for each round since so many of us return each time and that can be quite a challenge finding something new to make. Bigger is not always better!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mama24boyz

AND1GIRL!!

« Reply #307 on: June 27, 2013 01:28:43 PM »

I don't think you started a ruckus sweetyetevil,  Cheesy and you can't stop playing either cuz you always offer something awesome. You're right too that it is harder to figure out something new and fun to offer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
Eiseldora
« Reply #308 on: June 27, 2013 03:33:22 PM »

I sent today...I feel like a total slacker waiting until the last minute. Embarrassed Been busy with the house and garden so at least I am being productive! Cheesy

I think this may be my last round though as international shipping was crazy. I am sure glad I only had one international package!  Maybe a round with USA only in the future?

Noooooooo!!! No USA only!! Please! I know international shipping is crazy, most of my packages are international. I think 1 only have one Canadian package this time around, but I love this swap!

I agree with mama24boyz - no USA only please!!  I sent all my packages international this time and they were only $2.20 each.  I've learned that making things that are flat is the best way to go, then you can send like an oversized letter rather than a package.

I love being able to swap with all our International friends, but shipping cost me over $100 this round. $90 of that was for three non-USA packages. I was teaching this past year and could afford that. I won't be working  next school year, so I won't have the funds to swap as much as I did this year. Homer, you've given us some good advice on ways to make swapping more affordable. Maybe we need to address this issue on the boards. Other swappers may have more ideas for ways to reduce the cost we pay to swap across borders. Isn't it sad when our generosity towards one another costs us so dearly?

I'm a bit confused kbrison. Did it cost $30 each for 3 packages? That seems really crazy. I shipped items (tshirts) that would be similar weight to your bags/scarf, and it cost me only $8 for the international package.

I think we should have a board somewhere on Craftster that addresses international shipping. I know the first time I sent I was so confused that I spent $19 to ship a light package, but now I know It normally costs about twice as much as in the US. My biggest issue with international is that I have to bring it into the post office to fill out the custom form. I love to mail my packages at 10PM, 11PM, or Midnight.

I also wanted to clarify I live in the US.

I made the comment about I hope I can participate as a separate thought, not linked to the discussion about International.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: June 27, 2013 05:08:34 PM »

I love being able to swap with all our International friends, but shipping cost me over $100 this round. $90 of that was for three non-USA packages. Homer, you've given us some good advice on ways to make swapping more affordable. Maybe we need to address this issue on the boards. Other swappers may have more ideas for ways to reduce the cost we pay to swap across borders. Isn't it sad when our generosity towards one another costs us so dearly?

I'm a bit confused kbrison. Did it cost $30 each for 3 packages? That seems really crazy. I shipped items (tshirts) that would be similar weight to your bags/scarf, and it cost me only $8 for the international package.

I think we should have a board somewhere on Craftster that addresses international shipping. I know the first time I sent I was so confused that I spent $19 to ship a light package, but now I know It normally costs about twice as much as in the US. My biggest issue with international is that I have to bring it into the post office to fill out the custom form. I love to mail my packages at 10PM, 11PM, or Midnight.

Australia -$23.95, Canada #1 - $28.25, Canada #2 - $40.95. Contents did vary, but in each case the postage exceeded the cost/value of the contents. Postage won't stop me from swapping with international partners, but it is going to have a major effect on what I swap and how often. Big fat phooey on our postal systems!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
125/50 in 2014, 47/50 in 2013
Quilt Block Swap 6 - sent
Mini 12 Days of Christmas- 4/12 done
Mug Rug Swap - sent
Sweat Shop Ornament Swap - sending
Holiday Tag Swap Rd 2 - designing
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Extra Sweet Thanksgiving Yams
How to Do Chestnut Stuffing at Home
How to Prepare the Perfect Bread Stuffing at Home
How to Do a Delicious Turkey Gravy
How to Prepare Ham Boiled in Cider Roasted with Cloves and Honey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...