A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book of Shadows Swap Round 3  (Read 16558 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Carbine_corgi
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013 12:34:29 PM »

I so want to so this... However my paper binding skills need real work. I just started stretching and tanning my new cover for my 75 year old BOS. I'm kind of attached to it... I'm just rebinding old papers from the book that was handed down to me. Wink

I haven't decided no yet. ;P But i don't know if im cool enough to say yes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-If only corgi ears could pick up radio signals....-
spazgirl1981
Betsy Snow White

I took up croquet today and I'm on fire!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013 01:13:54 PM »

Come play Carbine_corgi, you don't have to do book binding, you can also just make pages for someones loose page BOS. There are lots of options for you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013 04:19:05 PM »

I so want to so this... However my paper binding skills need real work. I just started stretching and tanning my new cover for my 75 year old BOS. I'm kind of attached to it... I'm just rebinding old papers from the book that was handed down to me. Wink

If you have a 75 year-old Book of Shadows, AND you tan your own leather, you're more than cool enough for the likes of us! Cheesy And I'm sure your bookbinding skills are as good as anybody here. I'm a prop builder by trade, so for years I've been making things that look like hand-bound books, but it's only from doing Craftster swaps that I've bothered to learn to do it "for real". And I was surprised to find that, although it may take years to become a master, the basic techniques are simple enough that anyone can produce a perfectly respectable book on their first or second try! (In fact I realize now that "real" bookbinding is actually easier than most of the "fake" techniques I've used in the past!)

Okay, now I have to ask some dorky home-tanning questions. (Vegan-inclined readers may want to skip down to the next post.) What kind of hide are you preparing for your binding? Are you making parchment/vellum or are you tanning it as leather? In either case, what tools are you using to scrape it down to suitable thinness for bookbinding? And do you do that when the hide is raw, or do you wait until the worst is over and then scrape it down? I'm a frustrated tanner - I have information, a place to work, willingness to get messy, but no fresh animal skins to work on. Sad Where did you get the hide you're preparing?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013 10:03:34 PM »

I'm tempted. I'm not Wiccan, but have many friends that are. I'm Muslim with ... flavorings of Native American beliefs (no specific tribe, probably bits and pieces from many, though my ancestry is Chippewa), and hints of Wicca. Though i love natural healing and spiritual things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
Icekibby

Leopardprint Goddess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013 10:03:42 PM »

Goodness, Wulf! I'm picturing you trying it out on roadkill just trying to find some hides to use. lol I'm imaging a raccoon skin BoS with the bushy tail hanging from the spine. XD It'd be kinda cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist: http://www.wists.com/IceKat

Will swap for 1:12 exotic & magical dollhouse furniture and accessories, amigurumi, magical poppets.
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013 02:27:22 PM »

I'm imagining a raccoon skin BoS with the bushy tail hanging from the spine. XD It'd be kinda cool.

That would be cool! If only I could find a raccoon somewhere... Wink

I hope you'll decide to join us, EclecticDreamer.  Your interests sound intriguing!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandykaye
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013 10:16:04 PM »

@Electic Dreamer: I am not Wiccan myself... I wouldn't even know how to classify myself lol! Just eclectic with bits and peices of beliefs from different places. Mostly nature/earth based. A Book of Shadows doesn't necessarily have to be wiccan in my opinion Wink It can be just as simple as a journal to hold your secrets and life story!

@Carbine_corgi: Bookbinding is pretty easy if you find the right tutorial! I use a pretty basic form but it does the job! Some of us already have a BoS so you may only need to make pages anyways Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carbine_corgi
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013 10:46:01 AM »

If you have a 75 year-old Book of Shadows, AND you tan your own leather, you're more than cool enough for the likes of us! Cheesy And I'm sure your bookbinding skills are as good as anybody here. I'm a prop builder by trade, so for years I've been making things that look like hand-bound books, but it's only from doing Craftster swaps that I've bothered to learn to do it "for real". And I was surprised to find that, although it may take years to become a master, the basic techniques are simple enough that anyone can produce a perfectly respectable book on their first or second try! (In fact I realize now that "real" bookbinding is actually easier than most of the "fake" techniques I've used in the past!)

Okay, now I have to ask some dorky home-tanning questions. (Vegan-inclined readers may want to skip down to the next post.) What kind of hide are you preparing for your binding? Are you making parchment/vellum or are you tanning it as leather? In either case, what tools are you using to scrape it down to suitable thinness for bookbinding? And do you do that when the hide is raw, or do you wait until the worst is over and then scrape it down? I'm a frustrated tanner - I have information, a place to work, willingness to get messy, but no fresh animal skins to work on. Sad Where did you get the hide you're preparing?

Wulf

Lol thanks. I have been playing around with bits of deer and elk hide from recent hunts that some of my friends have gone on. Sometimes i make my hide a bit to thick with the current tool I have been using, but a buddy of mine just gave me this really cool sheer (honestly looks like a carrot peeler) that seems to be getting the job done. Ill have to let you know after this one finishes its bath. Ive made one natural book binding, but that was my thickest cover, it was a present for a friends diary. She seemed to like it though. Now i am experimenting with color and texturing. Also, I recommend finding your color and dipping it pre-stretch while raw. Its a Little grody, but it comes out better in the long run.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-If only corgi ears could pick up radio signals....-
Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013 05:20:47 PM »

OK... I'm in. Will fill out the q'aire later this evening Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013 05:43:49 PM »

Yay, Eclectic Dreamer!

And Carbine, please do keep us updated on how the tanning progresses, one way or another. I bought a new American Frontiersman magazine last month that has a tanning recipe in it that seems new to me. I'll try to find it and share with you.

Wulf

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
The Ultimate Quick Fix for Mastering at-Home Hair Color
Joico InstaTint Color Spray Tutorial
Halo Snake Braid with Miranda Cosgrove
Five Strand Dutch Braid with Miranda Cosgrove
Half-Up Boxed Fishtail Bun with Miranda Cosgrove
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Button Flowers
Meatless Monday: Grilled Apples and Minted Pears
@Home This Weekend: Belted Chair Seat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...