A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: post question EU to USA ?  (Read 1371 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BelleBeryl
« on: May 04, 2013 11:39:26 PM »

My question is if there is a limit money value of a gift package send from EU to USA when a USA citizen has to pay extra taxes customs costs on a package sent to them ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Memebox coupon code V952 usd 5.00 valid october.
Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013 08:46:59 AM »

Are you asking about a swap package? I've never had any customs fees on anything I've received (I'm in the US).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013 09:21:51 PM »

I've never run into a problem.  I believe if it is a gift, you are ok when in the US. 

There's some $300 (I think) thing if you PURCHASE something, but I haven't been hit with any fees before either. 
I order a good amount of stuff from the UK, and so far so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013 07:27:21 AM »

* not actually an expert* 
*or an american*
*or a european*

for swaps always put NCV or a very small amount (under 5$ or euros or whatever) and check GIFT.   

as a canadian i've gotten dinged for duty twice on swap packages from the states and overseas(once it cost me 23 bucks to receive a swap package Sad ). and i have talked to european swappers who have battled their postal systems in similar ways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013 05:15:14 AM »

As a European - from a small European country (Denmark): there might be.

The thing is, you can't group Europe in one, as the individual countries has varying rules, taxes and such - and that might effect limits. Especially smaller countries we experience extra charges, often because the packages going/coming across the pond will arrive in another european country before getting to the right country.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Mitten Project is a year of mittens! Each week a new mitten and you get to choose which ones should be knit. In the end three pairs will be given away to you readers.

Facebook page of TMP
SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013 06:46:51 AM »

Yeah, there are no guarantees, although I've sent to a variety of countries and none of my partners have had to pay for their packages yet.  I always put NCV (no commercial value) and mark Gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013 12:02:26 AM »

In DK we have this annoying random system. If you package get "snatched" in customs you have to pay, if not you don't. You can't prevent it by labeling it properly or anything. They call it "random customs control". It's the power of having a monopoly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Mitten Project is a year of mittens! Each week a new mitten and you get to choose which ones should be knit. In the end three pairs will be given away to you readers.

Facebook page of TMP
gavagai
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013 03:16:33 AM »

In DK we have this annoying random system. If you package get "snatched" in customs you have to pay, if not you don't. You can't prevent it by labeling it properly or anything. They call it "random customs control". It's the power of having a monopoly.

But you don't have to pay if (they believe) it's a gift, do you? I am in Sweden, and they have that random system here as well, but only on non-gifts. You could say it's a good thing, because I have very rarely had anything "snatched" (they mainly target larger items), and so I very rarely have to pay fees. I even asked them once if there was anything I should do when ordering things from overseas, because according to the rules I should pay customs fees et.c., but they just said that customs will take care of that, which they don't, so in practice you don't have to pay customs fees if you order not too large things from abroad in Sweden. I have had large gift packages questioned though, when they have gotten snatched, and I have spent time on weird phonecalls with customs people repeatedly asking questions like:
-Where did you buy it from?
-I didn't buy it. It's a gift.
-How much did you pay for it?
-It's a gift. The thing about gifts is you don't pay for them.
-Who bought it for you?
-They didn't buy it for me. They made it.
-How much did you pay them for it.
-It's a gift. The thing about gifts is you don't pay for them.
...and so on. The funniest time was when they opened a package full of things to make microscope pendants: small glass pieces, magazine clippings and other nicknacks fell out, when I was on the other end of the phone. They were quite surprised, but I didn't have to pay those fees anyway. I guess it was hard for them to decide a value.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Still wishing for a Tunisian crochet kit. Would be happy to personal swap for one. I have fabrics and all sorts of stuff to swap for.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Hat Brim with a Loom
How to Knit a Placemat on a Rectangular Loom Part 2/2
How to Knit a Scarf on with a Loom Part 2/2
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 6/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 5/12
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...