A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Store Bought vs. Homemade  (Read 1000 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 06, 2013 10:23:13 AM »

Okay, I'm currently doing a swap in which my partner wants an item that I can't completely craft on my own, and I was thinking I'd buy said item and embellish it myself. What percentage of the item should be embellished vs. store bought to even out the fact that I didn't make the majority of the item. I've searched all over Craftster and can't find an answer so I thought I'd ask here. The embellishment would take a considerable amount of time, and the item is only a medium, so I'm pretty confident that it would meet the swap requirements, but I wanted to get a second opinion about whether or not buying something like this would be appropriate. It kinda makes me think of that cooking show Semi-Homemade where it's 60% store bought and 40% homemade ingredients?

What are y'all's thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013 11:24:02 AM »

I suppose every item is different and without more info to go on (assuming so your partner doesn't stumble over here and ruin the surprise) I can only guess at the answer... But I'd say you're probably ok. I've seen a lot of embellished items in swap galleries that I would be happy to receive (or have happily received), some examples would be: a stenciled t-shirt/apron/tote bag/other fabric item, a painted jewelry box/picture frame, painted shoes, embellished candle, altered books...

I think as long as you put reasonable effort into the crafting portion, and if it's something you think your partner will like then you shouldn't worry. Everyone has different talents and levels of ability, that's part of the fun of swapping  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013 06:51:50 PM »

I think it would be best to discuss it with your swap organiser.  That's the person that's going to make the call on whether or not the item is ok, it's hard for us to judge without knowing what the swap requirements are. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noushi

interested in doing personal swaps

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013 08:54:16 PM »

I think I figured out a good way to make it work. I will check with the organizer though. Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Rex Salazar
How to Draw Rayquaza
How to Draw Professor Fransworth
How to Draw Poof
The Photoshop Secret Behind Long Exposure Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...