A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 125
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Summer Nerd Games --May15, 2013-September 2, 2013--  (Read 141114 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1200 on: September 02, 2013 07:03:52 AM »

Hooray, Mako Mori!  Lovely hoops!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #1201 on: September 02, 2013 09:03:20 AM »

--Last Day of the Summer Nerd Games!--
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #1202 on: September 02, 2013 11:47:52 AM »

Research Project Submission

Project Name:  Days for Girls Liners
Team/Geekdom:  Commercial Free All-Stars
Project Geekdom (if any):  N/A
Bonus Points:  Discovery, Giver
Brief Description:  I cant believe I finished these up in time, but I suppose insomnia has its perks.  Tongue  I purchased five yards of flannel to make liners for Days for Girls.  I tried to choose some patterns that would hide stains well, and ended up with a pink/purple kind of snake skin print, and orange/pink tie dye.  I do not have a serger, so I zig-zag stitched the middle piece down, and then around all four edges.  And then trimmed and trimmed and trimmed threads.  After finding a couple imperfections in the flannel, ended up with 48 completed liners, enough for six full sets (each kit comes with eight liners).  I am pretty pleased with how they came out, and learned a lot about rotary cutting and zig-zag stitching on my machine in the process.  Im still pretty new to sewing, so it was slow going, but by the end I was able to turn up the speed on my sewing machine a little.  Smiley  I am excited to make more in the future!  Again, thank you to plaidpineapple for introducing me to this organization!

Project Picture:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013 11:52:14 AM by LovelyMiss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monty

Summer Nerd Games! So Excited

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 02, 2013 01:47:31 PM »

Completed Research Project

Project Name: Dagobah Terrarium
Team/Geekdom:  Of Ships & Men
Project Geekdom (if any): Starwars 
Bonus Points:  Fandom
Brief Description: So with plants still alive I would call try two a success. I wanted to make a swampy terrarium, but it's more just very moist.

Project Picture:

And a final submission before the timer runs out....

Challenge: "I have got to get me one of these!"
Project Name: AT-AT Planter
Team/Geekdom:  Of Ships & Men
Project Geekdom (if any): Starwars 
Bonus Points:  Fandom
Brief Description: There was a book called The Starwars Crafting Book that had a planter that look like an AT-AT walker. Super cute so I gave it a go. Huge body and little head but it works for now.
Project Picture:

Wow where did the summer go.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanath
« Reply #1204 on: September 02, 2013 02:08:59 PM »

oh, I just realized something, does photography and photo manipulation count as a project? If not, that's ok too, I'm just very happy with the resulting image and wanted to share.
If it counts, I have one more that I did this summer:
Challenge/Battle/Alert: June textbook - waves
Team/Ninja: Fantasy
Project Geekdom (if any): none
Bonus Points: none
Project Name: pretty with or without colors
Brief Description:
I wanted to do something completely different for this one. One of the songs I sing to my daughter every night is about a boat on the waves, and I had a vision in my head of a small canvas with a boat on waves with the lyrics lining the waves. Instead, we went to the beach and played in the waves ourselves.
I took this picture of my daughter on a very nice sunny day this summer, and played around with GIMP (after asking Google for some tutorials) to get this result. The different colors are just different lengths of light waves, so I've "played with waves", converting the colors to black and white.
Project Picture (which is actually the project itself, might be the hour, but I find that amusing):

The original image is larger, it's my current wallpaper on my work computer.
Plus bonus picture of the sea waves mentioned above:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1205 on: September 02, 2013 08:03:48 PM »

I managed to finish all but 2 of the challenges (plus my research project)! I would have finished the last two, but one of them took about 4 times longer than it should have, so I ran out of time. I'll probably finish them both (One is a definite, because my house smells like garlic, what with 10 bulbs sitting on the counter. Garlic pickling will be on tap for tomorrow evening!)

Challenge: June: Randomizer: Zombies Ate My Brains!
Team: S & M
Project Geekdom (if any): Science (a cat in space!)
Bonus Points: Super Nerdy
Project Name: Catsronaut Pillow Cover
Project Page Link (if available): N/A
Brief Description: One of my 6th grade science students, who just started his freshman year, wore this shirt to school one day. After finding out where his mom got it, I tried to get one, but they were gone. So, I teasingly said that when he got to big for it, he needed to give it to me so I could make a pillow. He passed me in the hall as an 8th grader and I jokingly said, "You must have grown out of that shirt by now!" And the next day, he brought it in. Super simple, 10 minute pillow cover... now I just need to make a pillow form to fit it!

Challenge: June: Multimedia: Disco- Rhinestone pillow
Project Geekdom (if any): None
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Sparkly Fleur de Lis Pillow Cover
Brief Description: This was a shirt purchased at the souvenir shop right before the US border, in Canada. I wasn't supposed to buy any t-shirts (I have way too many, it seems!), but it was only $5 and it used up the random Canadian money I had. When I got home, I realized it was too glitzy for me to actually wear, so combined with some scraps of fleece (leftover from my Tech Ed blankets), I cut it up to make a pillow for my desk chair at school. Sometimes, I need a little bit of back support, so it'll be perfect. But, once again, it's an odd size, so I'll need to make a pillow form for it.

Challenge: June: Fandom- Super Detailed
Project Geekdom (if any): Math & Science- Binary Code
Project Name: Binary Code Necklace
Brief Description: A while back, in one of the rounds of the geek swap, I received this fabulous pendant that spells my name in binary code. I felt that it needed a proper necklace to hold it, instead of the plain silver chain I usually wear it on. So, I spelled out "I love science! Science rocks!" in binary code. The dark seed beads represent the zeroes, and the light seed beads represent the ones. (Note: The small bit of wire just needs to be cut- technically, it's crimped and secure, but I get a little neurotic and like to thread he end of the wire through a few extra beads, which I couldn't manage with my wrist).

Challenge: July: Randomizer: Our Ancestores
Project Geekdom (if any): Science (dinosaurs!)
Project Name: Dinosaur Bookend (with bonus Mythical Creature Bookend for the cryptozoologists)
Brief Description: I needed a bookend or two for my classroom book cases, so a couple of bricks, some toys from the thrift store, some glue and some spray paint, and I had a fabulous dinosaur bookend for my science classroom (the mythical creature will spark discussion about cryptozoology, I'm sure). I put a piece of fun foam on the bottom of each to prevent scratching.

Challenge: July: Fandom: Fanfic
Project Geekdom (if any): Science (the Periodic Table)
Project Name: The Periodic Alphabet Pillowcase
Brief Description: In a world where science rules, all words would be spelled using only the chemical symbols for the elements as listed on the Periodic Table  Fortunately, I wouldn't have to change my first name, since it can be spelled using existing symbols. I used iron on vinyl (cut with the Sillhouette) and a pre-made pillowcase. It turned out to be an expensive project, since the first set I cut didn't cut properly, so I had to re-cut them. And then I messed up once more (only on half of the set) so I ended up using almost 2 packages of the iron on vinyl. Good thing it's for me!

Challenge: July: Wordy: Proverbs- "A place for everything and everything in its place!"
Project Geekdom (if any): Science (science unit curriculum binders)
Project Name: Science Unit Binder Labels
Brief Description: Last year, before I taught each unit, I finally organized them into binders. But, every time I opened the file drawer, I had to dig to find the binder I needed. So, I finally labeled them. And put them in the order in which they will be taught. It makes me happy to open the drawer and see how nice they look!

Challenge: August: Fandom: "I have got to get me one of these!"
Project Geekdom (if any): Science (molecular diagram for caffeine)
Project Name: Caffeine (and No Caffeine) Coffee Canisters
Brief Description: Every time I got a "gift" catalog in the mail and spied a mug, shirt or canister with a caffeine molecule imprinted on it, I always wanted to buy one, but always cheaped out at the last minute. And then, I realized that I could make one. So I did. Plus one for the decaf coffee, too. Once I give them a final cleaning (I used glass etching cream), I'll be filling them up!

Challenge: August: Textbook: Simple Machines
Project Geekdom (if any): Science (simple machines are very science-y!)
Bonus Points: Super Nerdy, Discovery (first time embossing felt)
Project Name: Embossed Felt Basket
Brief Description: I saw a post by Onyx Nox (I think) which led me to some instructions on her blog for embossing felt. I had everything I needed, including a cool embossing folder with gears (wheel & axle) on it. And, I desperately need a "home" to keep my keys in on my desk at school, since I'm forever putting them down in random spots and then have to hunt for them. I embossed two pieces of felt, stitched them together, and then stitched up the corners to make the little basket. It's the perfect size for my keys!

The embossing was hard to photograph, so the first picture is of the felt before I stitched it together.

Battle: August: Star Trek vs Star Wars- Star Trek!
Project Geekdom (if any): Science (planets!)
Project Name: "Space, the Final Frontier..." painting
Brief Description: I made this painting for the Brooklyn Art Library's (home of the Sketchbook Project) Pen Pal Painting Project. In a time when new planets are being discovered on a regular basis, I imagined a planet with two moons. I painted some flowers on the canvas (it's a 4" X 4" canvas), and then masked off 3 sections. I sprayed over them with copper spray paint, then painted on some black and spatters of white. When I removed the masks, the planets were discovered!

Whew! I had so much fun with the Games, and can't wait to see what the Fall Games bring for challenges! Thanks again, pinkleo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Eiseldora
« Reply #1206 on: September 02, 2013 10:50:24 PM »

Challenge: August Fandom
Team: Ships & Men
Project Geekdom (if any): Doctor Who
Bonus Points: Super Nerdy, Nerdy
Project Name: Purple Bow Ties are Cool
Description:Since the Christmas episode of Doctor Who I've been a fan of 11's purple bow tie.
For this challenge I decided to make one for myself.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013 10:51:26 PM by Eiseldora » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stefaniegk
« Reply #1207 on: September 02, 2013 11:22:53 PM »

Challenge/Battle/Alert: May: Multimedia: Red or Blue? Blue
Team/Ninja: Commercial Free All-Stars
Project Geekdom: TV
Bonus Points: Nerdy Super Bonus (Doctor Who)
Project Name: TARDIS Sewing Kit

Brief Description: A TARDIS sewing kit, I sanded and spray painted a lunch box blue and mod podged the outside to look like the TARDIS. I filled it with all of the things you would need to travel through time and space. This is a birthday gift for a 9year old Doctor Who fan. I used this website for the pintables: http://thesusmanwedding.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/how-we-made-our-tardis-invitations/

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: May: Wordy: Haiku
Bonus Points: Nerdy Super Bonus (NCIS: Los Angles)
Project Name: Haiku binder cover

Brief Description: I wrote a haiku based on Kensi and Deeks from NCIS: LA and then added pictures of them. I printed it out and put in on my binder. Heres the haiku:
Do not die she says
Sunshine and gunpowder note
Kiss changes everything
Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: June: Textbook, Waves are all around us!
Bonus Points: Nerdy Super Bonus (NCIS: Los Angles), Discovery (glow in the dark printable t-shirt transfer)
Project Name: Sound Wave T-Shirt

Brief Description: I turned the line Hows that for communication into a soundwave and then transferred it onto a shirt. Its a glow in the dark transfer. Deeks says this line to Kensi after he kisses her.

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: June: Wordy
Bonus Points: Nerdy Super Bonus (The Baby-Sitters Club), Discovery (friendship bracelets)
Project Name: BSC Friendship Bracelets

Brief Description: The Baby-Sitters Club was my favorite series of books growing up and it was a tv show. I created a friendship bracelet for each character. Left to Right: Shannon, Logan, Abby, Jessie, Mallory, Dawn, Stacy, Mary-Anne, Claudia, Kristy

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: June: Fandom: Super Fans
Bonus Points: Nerdy Super Bonus (Lost)
Project Name: Lost Coasters

Brief Description: A set of coasters with the numbers from Lost on them. 

Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://stefaniegk.tumblr.com         

76/124 in 2013!                          I love personal swaps!
stefaniegk
« Reply #1208 on: September 02, 2013 11:46:53 PM »

Challenge/Battle/Alert: August: Wordy: Judging a book by its Cover
Bonus Points: Nerdy (books)
Project Name: Uncommon Criminals Pearl Necklace

Brief Description: I made my daughter a pearl necklace based off of the one the girl is holding on the cover.

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July: Randomizer: Our Ancestors
Bonus Points: Discovery (new recipes)
Project Name: 1950s Smoothies  

Brief Description: Im always looking for new breakfast smoothies for my daughter. I found these two vintage recipes online and tried them. They were terrible! Banana Milkshake and Breakfast in a Glass.
http://pzrservices.typepad.com/vintagerecipes/1950s-recipes/

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: August: Textbook: Simple Machines
Bonus Points: Super Nerdy Bonus (Leverage)
Project Name: Leverage Crowbar  

Brief Description: I painted Leverage on a crowbar and attached a card that says We Provide. These will be perfect for a Leverage viewing party.

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July: Fandom: Fanfic
Bonus Points: Super Nerdy Bonus (Psych)
Project Name: Pineapple on sleeve of jacket  

Brief Description: I traced the Psych pineapple on sticky interfacing and then embroidered it on the sleeve of my jacket.

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July: Wordy: Proverbs
Bonus Points: Super Nerdy Bonus (Phineas and Ferb), Discovery (embroidery on denim)
Project Name: Unicorn Jacket  

Brief Description: Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Phineas and Ferb. My little girl uses her cuteness for power. What is cuter than a rainbow unicorn?

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July: Textbook: Guts & Glory
Project Geekdom: TV, Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives
Bonus Points: Discovery (new stitches), Nerdy Super Bonus
Project Name: Digestive Meat Embroidered Tablecloth

Brief Description: My husband and I love Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I think Guy would approve of a meat themed tablecloth.

Materials Used: Tablecloth, Embroidery Floss, Needles, Hoop, Sublime Stitching Pattern Meaty Treats, Sublime Stitching Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To Book. (owned)

Project Picture:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013 10:52:21 AM by stefaniegk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stefaniegk
« Reply #1209 on: September 02, 2013 11:59:45 PM »

Challenge/Battle/Alert: August: Randomizer: Alternate Reality
Bonus Points: Discovery (new pattern, lining), Nerdy (books)
Project Name: Matching Jumpers  

Brief Description: The Gallagher Girls series of books is coming to a close this September. In honor of the plaid skirts on each cover I made plaid jumpers for my girls.  

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: August: Multimedia The Muppets
Bonus Points: Discovery (new pattern), Super Nerdy Bonus (The Muppets)
Project Name: Mother/Daughter Sleep Masks  

Brief Description: You would never see Miss Piggy less than fully dressed and that goes for her nightwear as well. I used the pattern from this website to make the masks.
http://www.thewonderforest.com/2012/11/easy-sleep-eye-mask-tutorial.html

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: August: Fandom: I have got to get me one of these!
Bonus Points: Discovery (new pattern), Super Nerdy Bonus (Rainbow Brite)
Project Name: Rainbow Petticoat  

Brief Description: Rainbow Brite was my favorite cartoon as a child. I found this rainbow petticoat and I fell in love with it.
http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/11/diy-tutorial-multi-layered-tulle-petticoat-make-your-own-rainbow-petticoat/

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: August: Star Trek vs. Star Wars (Star Trek)
Bonus Points: Super Nerdy Bonus (Star Trek)
Project Name: Captains Logo  

Brief Description: This was done before the 30th but I spaced and didnt upload it. I know it wont count but I am posting it anyways.

Project Picture:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013 10:51:22 AM by stefaniegk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 125 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crab Meat Salad Recipe
Indian Lentil Stew Recipe
Turkey and Ginger Panini Recipe
Cambodian Stir Fried Tofu Recipe
Coconut Rice With Shrimp Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...