A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 125
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Summer Nerd Games --May15, 2013-September 2, 2013--  (Read 127420 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ayajj
« Reply #950 on: July 29, 2013 01:26:51 PM »

Battle: Battle Royal - DC
Team: None / Ninja
Project Geekdom: Comic Books
Bonus Points: Nerdy (Comics), fandom
Project Name: Comic-con bag restyle
Brief Description:  First off, I've always been a DC Comics girl, so of course the first project I upload has to represent! For Comic-Con, I repurposed one of my old Freebie bags into one more convention friendly.  And of course, it's Batman Smiley

Project Picture:

And with the flap open:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #951 on: July 29, 2013 02:06:51 PM »

ayajj, I love that Batman bag. Great placement of the images! Now, I want to go to a Comic Con just to get a bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #952 on: July 29, 2013 03:05:02 PM »

Challenge: May Fandom: Worth the Wait
Team: Team S & M
Project Geekdom (if any): Real World Science & Math (and Engineering)
Bonus Points: Super Nerdy
Project Name: Career Symbols Blankets with labels- Two Years in the Making
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=425998.new
Brief Description: Once upon a time, at the start of the 2011-2012 school year, I had a new class dropped in my class- Tech Ed. We were given no lessons & no supplies, just a list of standards we needed to teach. I'd have 4 groups, one per term. One of the standards is using symbols to communicate an idea, so each student chose a Science, Math or Engineering career and had to design a symbol to represent it. Then, they cut out a stencil (made with Contact paper) and stuck it to a square of fabric. They then sponged fabric paint onto the fabric, peeled away the stencil and had a white image with a colored background. My goal was to stitch the squares from each group into a blanket, and then "raffle" it off to a student from each group. At the end of the year, I had all of the squares trimmed to size (even though they should have, they didn't all come out the same size when the kids made them) and had two of the groups' squares pieced together. I had intended to finish them over the summer, but a a heavy load of summer classes made that impossible. Over Columbus Day weekend, I finally finished them and was all set to give them to the kids after the weekend, until my friends (who make proper quilts) said, "You have to put a label on it!" Fast forward to June... Despite buying the fabric and the embroidery floss and having plenty of snow days and vacation time, I kept putting it off until the night before the last day of school when I hastily wrote out some labels, used the magic of Wonder Under and ironed them on. And the kids were happy. And the project was finally out of my living room. The end
Project Picture:

Labels:

Labels on the blankets:

Representative blanket:

Challenge: July Textbook- Guts & Glory
Team: Team S & M
Project Geekdom (if any): Real World Science
Bonus Points: Super Nerdy
Project Name: Random Raspberry Jam
Project Page Link (if available): N/A
Brief Description: In my backyard, there is an area cut into the hillside that contains the 3 remaining stone walls from what used to be a garage (gone long before I bought the house). The concrete floor also still remains. However, after the 2008 ice storm, it was necessary to cut down a number of trees, and the chunks of those trunks ended up stacked/piled in the garage area (the guys who cut the trees couldn't haul the wood home to use as firewood because we are in a quarantine zone due to an infestation of Asian Longhorned Beetles... even though my trees are not infested, the whole city is quarantined). In the ensuing years, leaves have fallen and decomposed, creating a nutrient rich bedding for plants to take root. Last year, I noticed that raspberry bushes had sprung up. Now, since I didn't plant them, that meant that the seeds for these bushes must have passed through the digestive system of a passing bird or squirrel (or other small mammal) and been deposited with a small packet of natural fertilizer in my yard. This year, I took advantage of the free supply of black raspberries and was able to pick a quart (I picked a little late). My friend added some in from her friend's yard, and we topped the pile off with some grocery store red raspberries. And made some jam. We also made some rhubarb jelly (rhubarb from my friend's yard) and cherry butter (farm stand cherries).
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
bunny1kenobi

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #953 on: July 29, 2013 04:12:15 PM »

I would SOOO love to go to Comic -con... all my fave shows end up represented there...!  And the bag turned out pretty cool, I love how you did the strap!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013 04:13:03 PM by bunny1kenobi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #954 on: July 29, 2013 08:09:31 PM »

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July Battle -- DC
Team/Ninja: not be named
Project Geekdom (if any): superheros!
Bonus Points: --
Project Name: Green Lantern Shirt
Project Page Link (if available): --
Brief Description: I'm a superhero lovin' girl, so this was a hard battle to choose sides for!  I probably would have went with marvel except I had this green shirt that was yelling at me to become a lantern!  So DC it is!  Stenciled on with freezer paper, and of course at the last possible second I messed up and dropped paint on it.  *sigh* oh well, obvious, but still neat!
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013 09:26:45 PM by patty_o_furniture » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #955 on: July 30, 2013 06:36:43 AM »

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July Battle Royale (DC)
Team/Ninja: Commercial Free All-Stars
Project Geekdom (if any): Comics
Bonus Points: Discovery, Nerdy
Project Name: Batman sock monkey
Brief Description: I had a couple stray black socks, so I decided they needed to be a Batman sock monkey.  I've made a sock monkey before, but it was from a kitI just kind of winged this one and made it up as I went along.  It was a little harder to decide how to decorate him, since the socks were black, so I just kept it simple and gave him a felt emblem and cape, and some button eyes.  Now he can sit on my shelf and watch over my Gotham of crafty mess.

Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current or future Nerd Games player?  Cast Your Battle Royale Vote!
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #956 on: July 30, 2013 06:51:03 AM »

Love the batman sock monkey!

And everything else!! I've missed too many pages in the past few days!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #957 on: July 30, 2013 07:43:50 AM »

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July randomizer
Team/Ninja: Fantasy
Project Geekdom (if any): I didn't have any in mind when I made this
Bonus Points: discovery (my 1st time dying. That sounds odd  Wink )
Project Name: Shibori scarf
Project Page Link (if available): N/A
Brief Description:
Shibori is a term given to several methods of resist dying that were developed in Japan starting around the 8th century.

I made this scarf (just used my serger to roll the edge of some very light muslin) then mixed up some black rit dye. That stuff stinks to high heavens! Was not expecting that! So glad I did this outside. Anyway, I used a sort of pole-wrapping (arashi) technique to bind the scarf to a fat piece of PVC. I started winding the scarf around the pipe in a spiral. When I ran out of pipe I took some cotton yarn and wound it over the fabric then scrunched it down so I had room to get more scarf on the pipe and help create the resist. Google it for way better instructions  Smiley

When everything was all wrapped up, it got stuck in the dye for a while. After dying, it was unwrapped, rinsed, then wrapped again in the opposite direction. (I didn't want a zebra look; I was going more for stormy skies.) Then it was into the dye unwrapped a couple more times to fill in between the lines created by the wrapping and even out the overall color.

Project Picture:

Very faintly lined result. Not quite what I envisioned but not zebra-y! Yay!

Hanging out Smiley
These were the best pics I could get. Just imagine the worst  Tongue

Final thoughts: I like dying, but that smell! Ugh! Ah, well. I'm already researching other dyes!

Great batman bag and sock monkey bat...monkey! Love the idea for the quilt. How cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StickerChic87
« Reply #958 on: July 30, 2013 09:12:51 AM »

C! I love that scarf! You did a great job. Cant wait to see your future dying endeavors. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #959 on: July 30, 2013 11:36:00 AM »

I've been hoarding my projects and now I have a bunch to turn in; so it's going to be a long post.   Roll Eyes

Challenge/Battle/Alert: May Fandom
Team/Ninja: Ninja (Whedonverse)
Project Geekdom (if any): None
Project Name: Zig Zag Quilt
Brief Description: This WIP has been hanging around my sewing space for the better part of a year.  I completed the quilt top last summer and was never exactly sure how I wanted to quilt it, so I hung it up for a while.  I finally settled on some stitch in the ditch quilting for the middle section and some free motion loop-de-loops for the borders.  Finished size aprox. 75 x 75.  Pattern from the Moda Bakeshop.
Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: May Randomizer
Project Geekdom (if any): None
Project Name: Match Jar
Brief Description:  I have bunches of mason jars floating around my house, so I decided to re-purpose one into a match holder (I hate leaving a box of matches out on the coffee table).  I used two coats of a  silver mirrored spray paint to give it a faux mercury glass look and then cut the strikers off of the box and used them as the jar lid.
Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: June Randomizer
Project Geekdom (if any): Cryptozoology
Project Name: Yeti PJ Shorts
Brief Description: This is my go-to pattern for any elastic waist shorts I make.  Its super simple and and super comfy. I saw this yeti flannel fabric online and knew it was destined to become my latest pair.
Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July Battle Royal - Marvel
Project Geekdom (if any): Supernerdy
Project Name: Lil Loki Charm
Brief Description:  Ive never been a comic reader (its the BIG hole in my nerd knowledge) so most of my opinions have been based on comic book based films.  And based on that I am decidedly a Marvel girl.  Loki is one of my favorites so I made a little charm of him out of polymer clay.
Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July Fandom
Project Geekdom (if any): Supernerdy, Discovery
Project Name: Whedonverse Stamps
Brief Description:  This was my first attempt at making stamps and Im really pleased with how they turned out.  I chose to pay homage to three of Josss shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly.
Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July Randomizer
Project Geekdom (if any): Supernerdy
Project Name: Washs Dino Charms
Brief Description:  When I read prehistoric in the prompt I knew I had to make something involving Washs dinosaurs.  I made a orange Stegosaur and a purple T-Rex out of polymer clay and added headpins to charmify them.  So far their has been no inevitable betrayal.
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 125 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Collectors Suffer Art-Fair Fatigue
Man Protests Museum By Destroying $1 Million Vase
5 Things You Never Knew About Scrabble
Performa 13 Shingerview: RoseLee Goldberg
Top 10 Worst Movie Accents
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...