A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 125
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Summer Nerd Games --May15, 2013-September 2, 2013--  (Read 137169 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #880 on: July 20, 2013 03:16:20 PM »

Research Project Name: Potion Master's Ghan
Team Team-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
Project Geekdom: none
Bonus Points: none
Project Page Link
Brief Description: YAY!!!  :::happy dance for finishing my Research Project:::  I have mastered complex potion brewing by creating a circular ghan that uses 14 colors!
Project Pictures:

For size reference, that's a yardstick in the middle...

Closeup of Border/Edging

swirl of joy!

Challenge: July Wordy
Team-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
Project Geekdom : none
Bonus Points: GB-Giver Bonus-donating to Afghans for Pine Ridge
Project Name: Small Baskets of Berries
Free Ravelry Pattern Link: Basket of Berries by Melinda Miller
Brief Description: PROVERB: Many hands make light work..  One of my fave proverbs.  It means that a large number of people cooperating can perform tasks easily.  I think charity work is a perfect example of how many people can work together, doing small tasks, but making a huge difference for a large need.  Note: I did adjust the pattern down to make 6" squares.

Challenge: July Randomizer
Team-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
Project Name: Cherry Yarn
Brief Description: I had a few cherries that went a bit too far.  Waste not, want not.  I decided to use them to naturally dye a skein of wool I had on hand.  I went with the crockpot for steeping because I didn't want too much heat causing the cherry color to go brown.  For the prompt: Archaeologists have found evidence of textile dyeing dating back to the Neolithic period. In China, dyeing with plants, barks and insects has been traced back more than 5,000 years.[1] The essential process of dyeing changed little over time. Typically, the dye material is put in a pot of water and then the textiles to be dyed are added to the pot, which is heated and stirred until the color is transferred

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley

« Reply #881 on: July 20, 2013 03:47:25 PM »

(Goodness, I didn't realize until I saw pinkleo's dying post that I had another project that fits on of the newer prompts perfectly!  I'm so far behind...)

Challenge: July Randomizer
Team: S&M
Project Name: Pinhole Camera
Brief Description: The idea of pinhole optics goes back a long, long time.  As in, there's evidence the optical properties were understood in texts from the fifth century... BC.  But the camera as it is known now was not developed until much later... the mid 1500s.  And people today - even with all their fancy digital toys - still get a kick out of building very simple, very primitive pinhole cameras.

I took at class at a local Musuem/college and we built our own pinhole cameras, then used photosensitive paper to capture a negative image.  This paper was developed, then placed on top of another piece of photo paper to make a print.

Pinhole photography has a lot of very unique characteristics, the most obvious being the soft focus and very old-timey look.  But the one that interests me the most is the near-infinite depth of field, and how it makes tiny, close things really look as big as huge, far away things.

This is the camera:

And this is a picture taken with it (this particular picture was scanned as the negative, and flipped in photoshop, so it's sharper than a print would be):

In this photo, the rock in the foreground is a knee-high fountain, and the building behind it is two stories high.  Darn, I should have gotten a photo for comparison... oh wait, here's one I found online...  it's not taken from the same angle, but it'll give you an idea:

Overall I took about a dozen pictures, about half of which turned out.  It was so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #882 on: July 20, 2013 03:52:04 PM »

That is so cool, Smeddley!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #883 on: July 20, 2013 04:10:20 PM »

Smeddley, Bunnicula was one of the books I was thinking about crafting around (it actually freaked me out a bit as a kid, and I just re-read it a few months ago and liked it much better), so I love your interpretation!

I've got my book picked out, but just have to figure out what I can actually craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Ludi

Team Wordy!

« Reply #884 on: July 20, 2013 04:49:56 PM »

Pinkleo, that is a stunning afghan!  I love that you gave it a swirl instead of just wedges of color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #885 on: July 20, 2013 05:46:26 PM »

---Head Gamemaker Memo---
@averia: I almost picked those napkins; yours looks fabulous. Grin, adore the busy book!
@bunny1kenobi: Your Scrap Top Hat is brilliant & lovely! Cool, and your Langwidere onesie is so cute, and you make me want to go out and have a drink in my hammock
@Calabaza: lovely red dress Grin
@Chuckiegirl: lovely embroidery, wonderful colors on your needlebook Grin
@Eiseldora: For your Anniversary Challenge to count, I need a link to your challenge entry.  (link back to ALERT for all the info.)..lovin' all your stencil work
@gozer: adore your notebook covers and love your magnet Grin
@La Chapa: I'm in love with those snail earrings!!! Cool, Pincushion Queen is FABULOUS!
@lightninglisa: love the colors in your cowl, and squeee for HP pieces, adore the Hedwig canvas Grin
@LovelyMiss: that is one of my favorite proverbs, and adore the colors of your baby blanket, Badger Hairbow is adorable...I would love to get Bard Mail
@Ludi: "A Closed Mouth" is an AMAZING piece!
@mama24boyz: your robot unicorn make me SMILE! Grin ...Kiss for link
@Naantje: adore all your soap savers
@ohiodiygirl: YAY for being motivated Grin ..your skirt is very cute
@patty_o_furniture: again & again...your HP doodle is FABULOUS! Grin
@plaidpineapple: What a generous Research Project...you are awesome! And I HIGHLY covet that Hungers Game Mug!! Cool
@Roke: Fantastic Kirrin Hoopla!  And your rug is fantastic! (make sure to post it in the Craftster Crochet Section Cool) Grin
@silentblair: I absolutely LOVE the Flux Capacitor Drivers Seat Cover. Cool  (anything Back to the Future rocks in my book Grin) and Cheesy Star T-Rex Mousepad is fantastic and I LOVE YOUR SHINY HOOPLA!!!!
@Smeddley: Adore the Jayne Hat, and SURE, I'll go for Giver Bonus if it is a Nerd Games Prize. Grin
@smileyyogini: Bow ties are most certainly cool.  And your baby set is A.DOR.A.BLE! Grin And love, love your Rainbow Gloves!
@Tanath: HI! Grin  Your candies look DELISH!  Could you tell me how your entry gains the Nerdy/Super Nerdy bonus? Smiley
@ysmeine: love the banner pieces & congrats on young one graduation Grin

--Summer Nerd Games Project Pinterest Board new pins added. (Note to Self: Pinhole Camera)

--Game Points Updated (to Pinhole Camera)

--Research Projects Added: Ffrogg526, craftADDchick

--Battle Update: JULY BATTLE: DC-2 & Marvel-1

--Congrats: to plaidpineapple and patty_o_furniture for completing their Research Projects.

pinkleo - ummm, awesome on the hot tub!  I'd probably be a little jealous if it wasn't 100 degrees here right now.  Cheesy
Here too, but I just say to myself, "Winter is Coming." Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanath
« Reply #886 on: July 20, 2013 11:58:53 PM »

Smeddley - I think the chain stitch is just right for your hoop, it makes it feel sort of like a sketch. It's very cute, makes me smile every time I see it Smiley
pinkloe - your research project is awesome, I love the colors.
I guess I didn't put enough details in my project. The quote "it will take a miracle" is from the Princess Bride movie, when Miracle Max gives Westley a miracle cure to bring him back from the dead. The cure is a ball of medicine coated with chocolate "to make it go down easier". It was one of the first things I thought of when I saw the recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
Ludi

Team Wordy!

« Reply #887 on: July 21, 2013 05:49:18 AM »

Thank you, pinkleo!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #888 on: July 21, 2013 07:46:48 AM »

pinkloe - your research project is awesome, I love the colors.
I guess I didn't put enough details in my project. The quote "it will take a miracle" is from the Princess Bride movie, when Miracle Max gives Westley a miracle cure to bring him back from the dead. The cure is a ball of medicine coated with chocolate "to make it go down easier". It was one of the first things I thought of when I saw the recipe.
Thanks and THANK YOU! Kiss  I'm pretty well versed in the Nerdyverse, but sometimes I need that helping hand.....especially when I have kiddos and hubby determined to carry on conversations with me when I update Grin  ...off to add bonus...and DONE! Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #889 on: July 21, 2013 09:47:26 AM »

Challenge/Battle/Alert: june wordy
Team/Ninja:ninja
Project Geekdom (if any): none
Bonus Points:
Project Name:Drink dispensers with chalkboard labels
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description:My favorite book growing up were the Little House on the Prairy series. These drink dispensers remind me of two scenes. The first was their first week of school and they only had one slate pencil that broke. Laura, like most kids who hate broken crayons, did not like using a broken slate pencil. She steals one someone left behind and gets in trouble. The second was the state fair or a local town festival where someone made root beer, but you could only get one cup. Saddly, did not have homemade root beer to put in these cups, just tea and punch. you can have as much as you want though.
Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: july textbook guts and glory
Team/Ninja:ninja
Project Geekdom (if any): garden
Bonus Points: snb
Project Name:pickled raddish seed pods
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: Some of my radishes did not produce nice roots, instead they bolted. I decided to let them go and collect the seed pods, they are kind of spicy. Most recipes used a sweet brine, but I chose to go with a sour version. I don't like sweet pickles. Suggested uses are to use as capers or as coctail garnishes. I also ate the seed pods straight from the garden and plan to saute some.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 125 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Keep Your Lipstick On All Day,from Katia Beauchamp
Tips To A Healthy Glow In The Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
How to Get Catwalk-Inspired Autumn Glitter Makeup
How to Rock Vampy Dark Eyes and Lips Makeup
Gunmetal Eye Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...