A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,209
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 125
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Summer Nerd Games --May15, 2013-September 2, 2013--  (Read 141815 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #220 on: May 30, 2013 06:57:54 AM »

I love the background fabric and the cutey pie girl Ninja on the Ninja Time hoop!!!  The little metallic shuriken are wonderful...so tiny but still recognizeable!

The purple pot hanger is great! Love yarn projects in summer that are not too "hot" to make...also, what a cool washcloth!  Need to add that one to my 50+ washcloths list! Grin

HOTPIE apron is too geeky for words....he is such a minor character in the GoT yet you picked him out--wonderful!!! Congrats on your sewing...and what a darling child!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 110/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #221 on: May 30, 2013 09:12:37 AM »

He's wonderful, pottermouth!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley

« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2013 04:30:05 PM »

I finally have something to submit!  Just in the nick of time, too.  I have plans for the rest of the May Challenges, but they can wait... this one was time-sensitive!

Challenge/Battle/Alert: May, Ninjas vs Pirates
Team/Ninja: S&M
Project Geekdom (if any): Real life math!
Bonus Points: Nerdy, Super Nerdy, Engineering
Project Name: 1>2
Project Page Link (if available): Link with pattern and floss used

Brief Description: One of the basic principles in math is that 2 is twice as much as 1.  Every kid knows that (just ask if they're rather have 1 or 2 of something, and if it's good, they'll always say 2... if it's bad, they'll always say 1).  

And you know how they have that formula where they "prove" 1=2 through a series of equations but they use variables and what's really happening in there is you're dividing by zero, so it's null and void?  

a = b
a^2 = ab
a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2
(a - b)(a + b) = b(a - b)
(a - b)(a + b) = b(a - b)
(a + b) = b

but... a = b
    therefore:

a + a = a
2a = a

hence

2 = 1

However, this results in dividing by 0, because a - b = a - a = 0

Well, this goes one step further, but instead of some underhanded trick to prove that 1>2, it incorporates the Ninja Effectiveness Principle.  This states that the effectiveness of Ninjas goes up as their numbers go down, quite contrary to usual formula, where the more you have of something, the better.  In fact, it has been scientifically proven* that a horde of ninjas are quite easily overcome by a small child with a pointed stick**.

Therefore, 1 Ninja > 2 Pirates, and 1>2

Project Picture:

* In a study performed based on a very small sample size battles with theoretical ninjas made of chocolate bits and marshmallows.
** Actually, it was the dog eating them*** that did the ninjas in, but it was theorized**** that, had the child with the pointed stick not flung the gooey bits of ninja at the dog (who then ate them***) infighting would have destroyed the ninja horde before any damage was done to the theoretical village/pirate ship/lunar colony*****.
*** Yes, chocolate is bad for dogs, but no dogs were harmed in the conjuring of this theory.
**** By highly inebriated individuals.
***** Covering all the bases, you never know where a ninja attack might strike
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013 04:31:08 PM by Smeddley » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2013 04:34:15 PM »

Smeddly, your study cracked me right up!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #224 on: May 30, 2013 06:05:01 PM »

Super Bonus for Team S & M! And, your description is fantastic!

I've got two projects to post, which I'll be doing very shortly (one more to post tomorrow), but I'm trying to figure out if I can earn Super Nerdy points for both of them... I need to do a bit of fact checking...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #225 on: May 30, 2013 06:16:10 PM »

I greatly apologized for the major delay.  For some reason I thought I posted this already.

~*Congratulations Bobbysgirl!*~
~*You are the first to earn the May Wordy Badge!*~

To claim your badge, right click and save to your computer.  Then, you can do whatever you wish with it.  Ideas on how to show-off your badges: use it as an avatar, put it in your profile under Brief Bio, or create a pinterest board for all your badges.  *Once revealed, a challenge badge can be found in the Badge Center.*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2013 06:35:24 PM »

Battle: May Battle: Pirates vs Ninja- NINJA!
Team: Team S & M
Project Geekdom (if any): Science (but also fits "Japan")
Bonus Points: Nerdy & Super Nerdy
Project Name: Science Ninja Summer PJs
Project Page Link (if available): (not yet...)
Brief Description: In researching possible ideas for this Battle, I came across information about a Japanese animated series from 1971 called Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, which is a team of 5 teen superheros dressed in bird costumes (Eagle, Condor, Swan, Swallow, Owl), who have a symbol of a Phoenix on their costumes. The series description (from Wikipedia): "Best described as a science fiction action anime, recurring themes of Gatchaman involve conservation of nature, environmentalism, and responsible use of technology for progress and advancement." So, because the characters focus on real world science/technology concerns, I declare that it fits into real world science & math Smiley

The project itself is done with (once again) freezer paper stenciling (font used on "Science Ninja" is called The Last Ninja), cut with my Silhouette. I also applied fabric paint to the bands on the knickers (I was tempted to do the trim ad straps on the top, but wasn't confident I could do it neatly).

Project Picture:

Challenge: (May) Randomizer
Team: Team S&M
Project Geekdom (if any): Real World Science & Math
Project Name: Avocado Propagation Chamber
Project Page Link (if available): n/a
Brief Description: Growing up in the 70's, I can remember a series of print ads for avocados about a gal who grows a houseful of avocado plants from the pits (I think the tagline was something about a plant or a friend inside every avocado). now, every time I see someone cut a fresh avocado, I ask for the pit. Sadly, I have never grown more than the merest sprout, probably because I forget about them and they dry out. So, since I've added avocados into my diet, I get a new pit about every other week and I am determined to grow at least one plant! Thus, the Avocado Propagation Chamber was created. I used the packaging from a roasted chicken from the supermarket, hit the black base with a coat of avocado green spray paint, added some potting soil, and stuck in the first pit. It has two small vents in the top, causing some evaporation to occur, so I cut a small hole in the center of the top and inserted a rubber stopper, which can easily be removed for the addition of water, as needed. While I don't expect to end up with a houseful of avocado plants, I'd love to get at least one! I had a salad tonight just so I could have a pit to plant Smiley

Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
margiej
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2013 07:41:08 PM »

I've tried for years to sprout avacado seeds, but I thought you suspended them in water using toothpicks and of course I never knew which end put in the water. Please let me know if the clear box method works, and how you do it .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
1watermonkey
« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2013 08:39:28 PM »

I had a friend visiting the last two weeks so wasn't able to do as much crafting as I would have liked for May! I have been lurking and admiring all the awesome projects people have been making so far though, just haven't had much time to post or craft. So, I probably won't get the Battle done this month, but I did get two projects done this week to finally submit to this. Smiley

Challenge: Randomizer
Team: Team He Who Must Not Be Named
Project Geekdom (if any): Doctor Who
Bonus Points: Nerdy
Project Name: Doctor Who Owl Potholders
Brief Description: Sometime back I had pinned some Doctor Who owl potholders made to resemble the 10th and 11th doctors to make someday. When I was at the thrift store I saw the perfect dress pants for the project, so I set about picking out several more pairs of mens dress clothes from the 99Cent section of my store. When I had the two ready to make, I decided I really needed to make one based off the ninth doctor as well, because he never gets much love and I really love him, more than eleven really. So I drew up a design of him as well and had an old pleather jacket that my niece had outgrown to make him with. Aside from some insulbrite and a few scrap pieces for bowtie/ties I already had, they were made entirely of recycled clothing and I think they turned out very cute. Smiley

Project Picture:

Challenge: Textbook
Team: Team He Who Must Not Be Named
Project Geekdom (if any): Harry Potter
Project Name: Deathly Hallow's T-Shirt
Brief Description: I have wanted to make myself a Deathly Hallows shirt for a long time, and saw this as the perfect opportunity. It's a simple stenciled shirt but I think the metallic gold fabric paint really makes it pop. Smiley (it's much shinier in person)

Project Picture:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013 08:42:10 PM by 1watermonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2013 09:02:53 PM »

Challenge/Battle/Alert: May Wordy
Team/Ninja: Team who must not be named
Project Geekdom (if any): Hunger Games
Bonus Points: nerdy
Project Name: Mockingjay Stamp
Project Page Link (if available): -
Brief Description: Love the mockingjay.  Have made pin stamps before for swaps, but decided I needed to make myself one too.

Four notes on the wind--
I must whistle for you now.
Hear our song, Panem?
(~written by Lisa at Movieline)

Project Picture:

Challenge/Battle/Alert: May Multimedia
Team/Ninja: Team who must not be named
Project Geekdom (if any): -
Bonus Points: -
Project Name: Choose Red Sprinkles
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=422278.0#axzz2UtDdsSXa
Brief Description:  I choose red!  Made some red sprinkles!  Link shows recipe.  It's basically royal frosting like you'd use on a gingerbread house piped really small.
Project Picture:
before being cut

cut and ready!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013 10:00:48 AM by patty_o_furniture » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 125 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup Pro Kandee Johnson Transforms Into Supermodel Jean Shrimpton
Hungover Makeup Tutorial
These Common Beauty Habits Might Actually Give You Wrinkles
10 Simple Makeup Tricks That Take Years Off Your Face
Date Night Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...