A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 125
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Summer Nerd Games --May15, 2013-September 2, 2013--  (Read 138995 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013 12:09:34 PM »

Love the hat and awesome that you made a tute!! Way to go first, smileyyogini!

Challenge: May Multimedia
Team: Dystopia!
Project Geekdom: Video Games - Super Mario Bros.
Bonus Points: Nerdy!
Project Name: Mario Lollipop Birthday Favors
Project Page Link: I got the idea here
Brief Description: I choose red: give me painful truth over beautiful lie any day. Maybe that's why I'm Team Dystopia? Anyway, Mario is almost synonymous with red. Here, I used red construction paper to make his hat and glued on his red M logo. I hope it's enough red to count as "mostly"!
Project Pictures:

Lots of red!

Close up of the face:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013 12:15:11 PM »

Research Project Proposal

Project Name:   Star Trek beaded curtain

Team/Ninja:  Commercial Free All-Stars

Brief Description:   I attempted something like this about 2-3 years ago but didnt get far because the stringing cord was not cooperative.  But like a good craftster I salvaged the beads (and acquired even more), and now I have better tools to actually make this a reality.  It will be a Star Trek: The Next Generation communicator badge in beaded curtain form.  It will be hung in a doorway or on the wall depending on the final product.  I did a rough estimate and I think it will be over 100 36" beaded strands.

Materials:  beads, rope/cord, 3-ft dowel, black or white paint

Timeline: 3 weeks...by June 6.
Week 1:  Retrieve beads from back of closet.  Measure beads and make beading chart.  Count beads to ensure there are enough based on beading pattern/adjust accordingly.  Find or buy stringing cord and dowel.
Week 2:  Pre-cut lengths of cord.  String beads per pattern (and number each string for easier assembly).
Week 3:  More beading!  Paint dowel and put it together.  Take photos and post!

This project fits my declared geekdom because Star Trek: The Next Generation is one of my favorite TV shows ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013 01:09:19 PM »

Wow, awesome hat, Speedy Smiley!  And I'm amazed how you managed to fit one project into, what, 80 challenges, there?  Cheesy  (Even tho it only counts for one, in MY book, that's incredible!)

And if these upcoming projects are any indication, this summer is going to freaking ROCK!  Can't wait to see what's posted on here next!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013 01:10:40 PM by bunny1kenobi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eiseldora
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013 05:22:26 PM »

I have vacation and was waiting to make some projects for my geekdom that I'll need this weekend. I have items to post for the May challenge that I've been working on all day yesterday and today. We leave early tomorrow morning, so I'm glad I was able to get everything done in time.

Challenge: May Fandom
Team: Ships and Men
Project Geekdom: Viking
Bonus Points: Super Nerdy!, Discovery
Project Name: Viking Tunic
Brief Description:
I'm going to an SCA event this weekend. My husband didn't have any garb, so I asked him to tell me what he'd like. He found this website and said he liked the viking outfit: On this website

I'd made him a basic black tunic previously, but it was really tight in the chest. I took it to one of the reenactors and asked if it was salvageable  and how I'd make it a viking tunic.
I was instructed on how to install more fabric under the arms to relieve the tightness in the chest, and how to sew a period neckline that would be viking (with a v slit)

I was also instructed to sew a hem on the bottom the opposite way to create the feel of a ribbon since I didn't currently have any embroidery skills or trim.

Whole thing:

Close up of the under arm addition and neck:

Vikings are well known for sailing on ships across the ocean.

Challenge: May Randomizer
Project Geekdom: Viking
Bonus Points:Super Nerdy! Discovery
Project Name: Viking Tunic
Brief Description:
I'm going to an SCA event this weekend. and I needed to make a smock for my outfits. My husband wants to be a viking. so I decided I'd also try to make viking garb.
I was inspired by this pin

Medieval garb was primarily made from linen. I've been trying to find linen fabric at my local fabric stores, but they didn't have anything that was 100% linen. I looked online and it was about $19 a yard, and I needed 3 yards.

So I was excited when I discovered a white linen curtain at the thrift store. I used this to make my outfit.

I used this article to construct my tunic

The Birka tunic I made doesn't fit as well as the one in the picture on pinterest. You can't see it in the photo but I did make a v slit in the neck. I'm hoping to pick up some trim at the event that I can use as belt that will make it fit the theme better.

Maybe I'll make a viking apron to go over it in the future.

Challenge: May Pirate
Project Geekdom: Pirate
Bonus Points: Nerdy!,
Project Name: Pirate Skirt
Brief Description:
Since we are going to the SCA event I wanted other items to wear. Inspired by this challenge I looked up Pirate on the SCA wiki. I looked up famous female pirates. There were a handful during the Viking and Medieval age, so it would count. I couldn't find any information on what a female pirate would wear. Most of the information said they'd wear what they plundered. So I decided to make a bright blood colored skirt that was very full to allow maximum movement on a ship.

I'd had a similar skirt previously, but I didn't hem it, and when I wore it to my first event it got very ripped and torn so I wasn't able to salvage it.

Picture of my Pirate Skirt.

I also made my husband a green tunic, but I made it prior to the Nerd Games.

We should be ready with plenty of garb to wear for the event... I hope.

I also sent Pinkleo a PM with two submissions I made yesterday, and are currently drying. I used a new to me technique I learned for a swap so I hope I can get bonus points!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013 10:18:50 PM by Eiseldora - Reason: description of how Viking is super nerdy. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013 06:29:35 PM »

Challenge: Textbook: Prime Numbers
Team: S & M
Project Geekdom (if any): The M of S & M (Math, of course Smiley )
Bonus Points: 15 points for my declared geekdom
Project Name: The Perfect T-shirt
Project Page Link (if available): N/A
Brief Description: When focusing on prime numbers, one must of course choose the perfect prime number which, as Dr. Sheldon Cooper declares, is 73. Mathematically, the number 73 is pretty cool, so I'd have to agree that it is a pretty fantastic number (it ranks right up there with the number 42)! This shirt was made using pale yellow fabric paint (it is much paler in person) and a freezer paper stencil (Note: Cutting the stencil with the blade set to a depth of 3, a prime number, of course, results in the destruction of the cutting mat. A bit of research beforehand may have helped to avoid that. In the future, use the non-prime number of 1.). The font used was Nasalization, a free (and science geeky) font found at dafont.com.
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013 06:30:47 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
smileyyogini

Yarn Junkee

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013 06:54:55 PM »

I am inspired by the awesomeness here. This is going to be a great summer <3

Yes Bunny1...I had to put my thinking cap on to hit that many challenges in one project. LOL I didnt quite get that I am supposed to make a project for each challenge. But I am all set now. I have a WIP that I need to finish...Im hoping to find a way to fit it into one of the categories.

I love the mario pops Abbeeroad!!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013 08:27:48 AM by alwaysinmyroom - Reason: gave credit to correct member » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiles,
Melody

www.MelodyCrochet.c om
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Smileyyogini
http://pinterest.com/smileyyogini

Shipping Hoopla "Words"
Crafting/Co-Organizing Anime Swap
Waiting for Partners on Video Game Swap
Stalking Another TM Swap

I LOVE PERSONAL SWAPS!
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013 04:30:52 AM »

lol....thoroughly enjoyed reading about the number 73, craftADDchick, and your shirt is awesome. Love the color combo and the lines on your stencil are perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bambam91
The rogue Queen

Where is my mind?? Probably listening to hip hop :

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013 05:07:52 AM »

Omg can you say fast!!! Some really great projects here!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently inactive, due to being hit by a car. I will be back on once I am healed
Wyked
Wyked Crafty

Living the life, one block at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013 07:06:46 AM »

I just watched the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon was wearing this shirt! Awesome job on it!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013 08:28:29 AM by alwaysinmyroom - Reason: please do not quote pics--not allowed » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013 11:39:23 AM »

Thanks! It was a nice, instant gratification project, and using the Silhouette cut the lines nicely. I tried to iron the freezer paper really well, so I didn't get a lot of bleeding, and I didn't put the paint on too thick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 125 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Everyday DIY: Back to School With Love
How to Put on a Puppet Show
How to Make Fishing Lures
How to Make a Cigar Box Guitar
How to Make a 3-D Christmas Card
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...