A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 306,352
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 125
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Summer Nerd Games --May15, 2013-September 2, 2013--  (Read 152643 times)
Tags for this thread: nerdy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pookiemccool
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #820 on: July 11, 2013 03:23:44 PM »

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July Battle Royale - DC
Team/Ninja: Team Control Freaks
Project Geekdom (if any): comics and video games (since Superman has been featured in several!)
Bonus Points: Nerdy, Super Nerdy, Discovery
Project Name: Superman Skirt
Brief Description: This craft along has kept me super productive and motivated! Don't get me wrong I love the Marvel movies that have come out over the past few years - The Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Ironman, Spiderman, The Avengers, Wolverine. But there will always be a special place in my heart for Superman and Batman. I don't like the Dark Knight series because I despise Christian Bale but I LOVE Man of Steel, so I chose DC and made a Superman skirt.

This time rather than folding over the fabric and adding elastic I recycled the waistband from a pair of leggings that ripped. Please ignore the fact that the waistband is inside out! Sad I was so happy with the fit and how it turned out otherwise that I couldn't bear to rip it out and start over. Plus it won't be seen anyway, I usually wear tshirts with my skirts that cover the top.

Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

plaidpineapple
« Reply #821 on: July 11, 2013 05:26:26 PM »

---COMPLETED RESEARCH PROJECT HEADER---
Project Name: Days For Girls Liners
Team/Geekdom:  Team Fantasy
Bonus Points:   Discovery (learned how to dye fabric)  and Giver
Brief Description:  A couple months ago I  bought a 50 yard roll of flannel to make liners for http://www.daysforgirls.org/ which is a charity that supplies reusable menstrual kits to girls in third world countries.  Frequently girls in these countries have to drop out of school once their period begins-due to lack of supplies.  I have sewn many items for the group before but it has always been with colored flannel.  The flannel I have is white so I need to dye it, then cut and sew.  (The girls hand wash the items and hang them out to dry and colored flannel liners hide stains and look more like just a normal washcloth making it less taboo for them to be drying on the line)  I have not dyed much in the past so I need to learn how to best do it.    My goal was to dye 10 yards of fabric.  And to sew 5 yards of liners up by July 1.

I tried 3 types of dying.  I used a Dylon hot water dye for the blue - I dyed 7 yrd.s in blue.  I dyed 3 yards with Kool-Aid.  It was a pretty but very light pink.  I was afraid it would end up washing out too much over time. So,  I dyed it in blueberry juice that I had leftover from draining a couple cans of blueberries for muffins.  It ended up creating a nice pink that is dark enough that it will hide a little more stain than the original kool- aid pink.

I ended up sewing 150 liners.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013 05:27:08 PM by plaidpineapple » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Averia

Floppsy

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 11, 2013 06:36:53 PM »

Wow Ms. plaidpineapple you rock! That is quite an accomplishment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

La Chapa

Hardcore Yarnie!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #823 on: July 11, 2013 07:00:56 PM »

Thanks Tanath!

That zombie is adorbs!
That doggy bed looks oh so fluffy.
The book is super cool, and I wish I had one for my preschooler.

ohiodiygirl, if my hubs wasn't already married to me, I think he might have wanted to marry you.  He's a huge Batman and Superman fan!  Sadly, I'm all Marvel.  Lol!

plaidpineapple, you're awesome! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently Swapping in:
Anatomy Swap, 3-D Bug Swap

Hoping to join:
OWS in Dec
http://pinterest.com/laachapa/
ysmeine
« Reply #824 on: July 11, 2013 08:23:12 PM »

Challenge/Battle/Alert:may textbook: prime numbers
Team/Ninja: ninja
Project Geekdom (if any): none
Bonus Points:
Project Name:party decorations
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: I needed my youngests name for the graduation banner for his party saturday. His name has 7 letters then my mother and I decided to make cards. Mine has a ship with 3, five pointed stars.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #825 on: July 11, 2013 09:26:06 PM »

lightninglisa - I love the colors of your cowl!  Your owl canvas and card are very cute, too...are the clouds wooden?!  Hermione's book is a great idea, and the rib heart is super awesome!

bunny1kenobi - what sweet little embellishments for the onesie, and a cute idea!  It turned out great.

Tanath - do I really need to say anything other than, "YUM!?"  Cheesy

La Chapa - I actually just checked out the gallery for the Tim Burton swap!  That jewelry set is wonderful!

Abbeeroad - that might be the cutest little zombie I have ever seen!

Averia - what a good idea for a dog bed!  And I really love that math busy book.  I've wanted to make something like that for a while.

ohiodiygirl - that might be my favorite skirt yet!  I agree, the new Marvel movies have been fun, but Batman and Superman all the way! 

plaidpineapple - congratulations on finishing your research project, and for such a great cause!  After you proposed it orginally I checked out Days for Girls and bought a bunch of flannel to make liners, too.  Thanks for introducing me to such a wonderful organization!

ysmeine - those cards are so stylish and turned out great!  That will make a great banner for the party, too! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #826 on: July 12, 2013 07:08:21 AM »

loving the busy book!

How awesome are those pads?  I so love and admire when crafters are giving!  LOVE IT!

The graduation cards are so well done!  Beautiful job!

And I agree with Lovely Miss, this may be the best skirt so far!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013 07:09:35 AM by bunny1kenobi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #827 on: July 12, 2013 07:16:07 AM »

Research Project weeee!

Project Name: Harry Potter Doodle Poster  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=423319.msg5050116#msg5050116
Team/Geekdom: not be named
Project Geekdom (if any): Dr Who, oh wait.... Potter
Bonus Points: Super Nerdy
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=425546.msg5064748#msg5064748
Brief Description:  Wanted to do a fun Potter poster for my movie room wall.  I finished earlier than I thought I would, but still beyond the three week time frame.  It was fun, just turned on netflix and drew.  Extra pics at page link if you want to see progress pics. sized 11X14
Project Picture:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013 07:28:40 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

« Reply #828 on: July 12, 2013 07:22:04 AM »

La Chapa - Pinned that Pin Cushion Queen. I think it's awesome!!!  And your butterfly necklace is very pretty and sweet. I like that the zombie  part is "hidden".  Wink  Go team MONSTER!!!
 Averia - Very pretty napkins. I don't know how you got those backs so neat! Yay for anything animal related. The bed is cute. And that felt book is really amazing. It looks like so much fun!
 Ludi - Wow. Once again you have floored me. Absolutely love this peice.
 naantje - Those are very pretty and colorful soap bags.
 LovelyMiss - Badgers hair bow? Super nerdy! Gotta love it!!!
 Eisodora - Those are very cute onsies you are making. Can't wait to see the next idea.
 pinkleo - Love the colors you chose for the blanket and what a great charity item!
 calabaza - That dress looks so comfy and awesome. Perfect for the summer!
 LightningLisa - Wow that scarf looks soft. And the ribbed heart hoopla is amazing. Love the design.
 bunny1kenobi - Adorable Onsie and what a great idea to make the embellishments changable!
 Tanath - Mmmmm. Chocolate. There goes all my will power for the day.  Wink
 Abeeroad - That zombie is just too adorable! He would be a great ornament!
 Ohiodiygirl - Fun and quirky skirt. I would wear it!
 plaidpineapple - Awesome charity item and you put alot of thought into it. Fantastic. You will help so many girls.
 ysmeine - congrats to your son. Neat banner and card!
 Patty-o-furniture - Wow! Love all the details. Amazing!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013 07:27:48 AM by gozer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #829 on: July 12, 2013 07:25:37 AM »

Patty_o, that doodle is AWESOME!!! Seriously - AWESOME!

Challenge/Battle/Alert: July textbook
Team/Ninja: Team Mystery Lovers
Project Geekdom (if any):none
Bonus Points: discovery
Project Name: sand and sea bracelet
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: Made this for a swap.  It is a woven bracelet, a technique I have never tried before.  I selected the colors because they reminded me of the ocean and the beach, and tropical breezes.... there is nothing more soothing to the nerves than laying in a hammock on the beach, cold drink in hand.....*sighs wistfully*
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 125 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Vinaigrette Dressing
Pan Searing Scallops
Pan Seared Scallops - Assembling the Finished Dish
Escargot Appetizer Recipe
Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...