A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
793 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How on earth do you get patches to stay on shirts?  (Read 1025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« on: May 03, 2013 08:00:21 PM »

My boyfriend is an Eagle Scout, and he's a SO and both of these mean he has patches that he needs on his shirts. I've handsewed them on carefully. They get ripped off. We finally went and bought some iron on stuff that you cut to the patches size and shape and used that. THEY GOT RIPPED OFF. I'm going to iron them back on again tonight because he has some big thing coming up where there's going to be cops and cameras and such and he'll get in trouble if his uniform isn't complete. But I'm sick and tired of him yelling at me to put the damn things back on! It's not my freaking fault that they fall off. It's not my fault that his work doesn't just have the patches embroidered directly on the shirts, since EVERY WORKER NEEDS THE THINGS ON THEIR SHIRTS...

As you can probably tell, I seriously hate patches. The ones for his work shirt are the important ones that need to stay on and they have to be on the sleeve... So I can't manage to machine sew them on.

For his Eagle Scout/Adult Leader shirt, I'm positive that those patches actually have iron on stuff on the back on them... They're thick and shiny but he refuses to believe that they are iron on and makes me sew them on.

Since I'm somewhat crafty, and he isn't at all, he seems to think that I can make anything he wants and get's annoyed when I stop working on something of his because I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Ugh.

Anyways, thank you for any help you can give me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013 10:14:02 AM »

Isn't there a merit badge for sewing?  Maybe it's time for him to "Be Prepared" and sew on his own patches!   Cheesy

Whoever does the sewing, here are some suggestions:

Use stronger thread.  Use 2 or even 4 strands of thread, or even use thin fishing line (doubled!).

Use smaller stitches.  They're less likely to get caught and break, plus there are more of them to hold.

Knot the thread every few stitches.  Then if the thread breaks, only a small section is loose.

It's harder to sew through iron-on stuff, but might be worth it in this case.  And if you think there's iron-on stuff on the patch, try it out, don't just take his word for it.  But as I recall, a lot of patches have shiny stuff on the back that doesn't iron-on.

And, just what is he doing that tears patches off his shirt?Huh
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013 10:31:26 AM by steiconi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nofuelleft
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013 03:12:52 PM »

Yes, that is one guy who needs to learn how to sew . Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013 06:16:08 AM »

Whaddya mean, he "makes" you sew them on? Are you the parent, or what? If he was out in the wilderness, he'd have to know how to repair things - tents, clothing, blankets, whatever - so let him earn some respect and skills at the same time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013 12:12:00 PM »

For my Girl Scout stuff, I would use clear thread and zig-zag stitch around the edge of the patch.  I never had any of them come off. 

I also put patches on work shirts for the company I work for.  They have a white background and I just use white thread and stitch with a straight stitch just inside the outer border.  I have never had one of my guys come to me saying they had ripped that patch off. 

What is he doing that is so rough on these patches?  Unless he is crawling through an obstacle course in full uniform I can't imagine what he is doing to be so rough on them.

I also agree with the other posters...if he is so ungrateful to you about these stupid patches, then he needs to learn how to put them on himself!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013 12:06:42 PM »

I bet there is an arsewipe who is tearing them off to "prove" they're not attached well enough. That happened in Air Cadets to kids who stupidly thought a glue gun would keep patches on. If an officer or flight sergeant saw a hanging edge, they'd just come over and yank it off. Moral of the story, don't let any edges even so much as pretend to stick out. But there are jerks who will do that just to make their "inferiors" lives hell, and you really only need to get a bit of thumbnail under the patch and yank hard to tear it off, which is not difficult if the stitching is too far apart.

So, on top of the fact that he's made you his sewing-b**** which you'll need to deal with in your own way, he needs to stitch over the pre-existing stitching of the patch, all the way around no more than a millimeter between each stitch in a colour of thread that matches the patch's stitching. Also, he needs to make sure the thread comes out of the patch at the edge of the existing stitching, over the existing stitching in the same direction as the existing stitching, then down into the fabric juuuust at the edge of the patch, then the thread goes under the fabric at a slight angle to come back out of the patch less than a millimeter away from his last stitch. Seriously, if the stitches are not super-close together and perfectly holding the edge of the patch down, the same jerk who's been tearing them off will continue to do so. He also needs to work on his reaction speed. When said jerk comes within a foot of him, he really ought to pre-flinch. I would also recommend reporting this behaviour to the higher ups.

Alternatively, there is this amazing profession known as SEWING FOR HIRE. An alterations shop, cobbler, tailor, and sometimes even dry cleaners will be able to sew on his patches VERY well for a respectable fee. Having to pay for this work will also encourage your "boyfriend" from allowing them to be ripped off, because all of a sudden it's his money going down the drain with each torn off patch, instead of his free "girlfriend's" non-valuable time and effort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013 02:06:37 PM »

I agree.  At that point, send them in to a professional tailor.  They attach patches for police, fire, and military.   They even stitch them on velcro and add velcro to uniforms and what not to make them removable. 

Patches are a right b**** to attach well.  Small stitches, or zigzag with a machine and a tough thread- look for something heavy duty at the store are key. 

FYI the first time any guy tweaks out at me for something that I did to be nice gets a warning.  Second time, he's out on his butt.  Don't let him yell at you.  He can learn to sew too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013 10:48:53 PM »

Oh my god, I love ALL of you. Basically what happens is the fact that he got a job and I haven't yet, so both he and his mother expect me to do everything for them. and yeah, I think I should be doing more around the house because I'm not out there making money, but when they start leaving orange peels and empty ice cream containers in the sink and complain about tooth aches and they can't possibly get up to throw that kind of stuff away I just go back to my dads. Luckily, though I'm nearly 21, I still have a room here. (Don't think I haven't been trying, I honestly think I'm going to have to move in order to get a job. The problem with that is, you know, no money!)

It's just so nice to have anyone on my side for once. He stopped wearing his work shirt with the patches tacked on at the corners (I didn't have time to do it better that last time before he left for work) and only wears it when there will be other security officers who could rat him out for not having the patches. His other shirt doesn't have any patches on it because they never gave him any to sew on. Since I gave him the ultimatum of needing to find someone else to do it he has been very careful. Really, he sits around at work looking at monitors and then when he gets up to do his walk around, he'll lean against a wall for some reason or another and catch the patch on something. When they were getting ripped off there was no way a person was ripping them off because he was working alone. Anyways... I'm simply NOT sewing them on anymore. The sewing machine I have is a beginner one and I'm not risking sewing through patches with it, I've sewn them on with tiny stitches too many times, I've tried iron on. I can only imagine us having kids in the future who will of course join boy scouts and I will have to deal with this then. Hopefully like 15 years in the future, though. Thank you all for your help, and sorry that I just decided not to use it since I'm not sewing them on anymore. I really appreciate you all taking your time to reply!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nofuelleft
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013 03:49:15 PM »

Might not what you wanna hear  and it definitely aint sewing releated , but im gonna say it anyways....
Dump him !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krissy.me
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013 11:18:52 AM »

My son is in taekwondo and he had several patches that needed to be sewn onto his dobok.  I hand sewed them all on using thread that matched the edging thread on the patch.  The ones on the front were easier than the ones on the sleeve.

Yes it took awhile, and yes it was a pain but they have stayed on and they look nice.   Personally I wouldn't machine stitch patches onto a clothing item.

If you take small stitches just going up through the patch and down through the fabric fairly close to the patch it should be just fine.  You want your stitches close together so there isn't room for them to catch on anything so they will be pulled off.

Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Duck Spring Roll Recipe
Chef Shares Recipe For Mentaiko Spaghetti
How to Make a California Roll
Korean Beef Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Shrimp-Udon Soup
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...