A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Modifying a pattern, need a jewel neckline instead of scoop...  (Read 522 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ElleAvocado
« on: September 22, 2013 03:02:43 PM »

I am trying to plan out a Final Fantasy white mage costume (FFIII specifically, here is some concept art of the character) but I'm having trouble piecing together what I want for the dress.

I was considering using the Butterick 5317 pattern except that I need a jewel neckline. I don't have much experience altering patterns, so any advice would be useful. I am already reasonably confident that I can add the bell sleeve and alter the skirt to have the slit up the center without any problem.

I'm also not dead set on this pattern, so if there are better patterns, tutorials or options out there I'm open to consider them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013 12:05:35 PM »

Do you have a garment with a jewel neckline?  You can use that as a guide to alter your paper pattern.  You can also get a pattern with the neckline you want, and use that to alter the pattern for the bodice you want.

Or, if you're like me, you can cut the front and back of your bodice in muslin (which in this usage actually means any cheap fabric with a similar drape to the final fabric), but just mark the neckline, don't cut it--just kind of extend the shoulder lines to center front.  Cut and pin the sides and shoulders, then put it on, and mark where you want the neckline--I like to use a felt pen.  Mark both sides of the neck.  You may need to cut extra fabric off as you go so the neck fits against your body. 

Take off the muslin (which now refers to the sample pattern--word of many uses), fold in half so the shoulder seams match, then run a line of pins along one neckline mark.  Turn the bodice over and compare the pins to the marks on that side.  Mark an average of the two, cut it off, and try on again.  You can pin extra fabric on if needed.  When you're happy, mark the pattern on paper, add seam allowance, and you're ready for the final fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krissy.me
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013 10:50:09 AM »

There are a lot of tutorials  that you can find on pinterest on taking clothing items you already have to make your own pattern.  That might be an idea.  Or you could just google them as they are people's blogs. 

This also looks pretty basic of a pattern for the cape so it might be easy to draft your own neckline from the pattern if you want to use a pattern for the rest of it.

You could get some pattern material from a craft store.... it's sorta like a thin pellon without adhesive and some are marked with lines or dots.. I can't remember which as I do have some because I have drafted a few patterns for my daughters stuffed animals from existing clothing items she already had with great success.  I like working with that special pattern stuff rather than paper because paper is so stiff for pinning the two layers together.  I bought mine at walmart and I don't remember it's official name.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make soap and other "cosmetics" as defined by the FDA and in my spare time I sew.... Sewing is therapy for me in dealing with life stresses and my chronic pain.  When I hurt and can't sew, I plan what I want to sew.  I also have a great husband, three kids and three fur kids.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 7/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 8/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 9/28
How to Crochet a Soap Holder
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 4/28
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...