A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,118
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big Bad Baby Blanket anyone???  (Read 21438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Brae_Day
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2005 05:08:50 PM »

My BBBB.   I haven't worked on it for a couple of months, despite the fact that it's about 3/4 done.  It's just such a pain to tote around with me.

It was at one time intended for my fiance's unborn neice, who's now 7 months old, ::cough:: Smiley, but since it's my first big project I think I'll just keep it for myself.    Tongue

I told Jordon (the fiance) that we need to pop out a baby girl just so I can put my masterpiece to work, lol!  Needless to say, he wasn't amused.

I wish the pic. turned out better, it's hard to see all of the wonderful texture and fine detail.  Oh well.  As you can see, I have a bunch of balls of yarn to the side.  This thing is such a pain for me to finish, because I'm doing the inartia, PLUS knitting with two strands held together.  Eek!

I'm open to words on encouragement!!  Or a swift kick in the butt, whichever will get this thing finished faster!!   Cheesy

P.S. Sorry for the double post, if anyone noticed. I think more people read this board.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meeja
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2005 03:10:59 PM »

My blanket arrived about a month after the baby, so you aren't doing too badly. It did take forever didn't it?! I used a beige Rowan 4-ply Soft. Gorgeous. Apparently it is their favourite knitted item. But I bet they say that to everyone. Even the people that knitted horrid acrylic bootees!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nerdchick
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2005 07:02:44 AM »

so, i saw these colors, and couldn't resist.  they just seemed like happy baby colors!  

using plymouth encore chunky, this knit up really fast.  2 days, really ... though there was about a month between those 2 days!  ha.  since it was just a blanket, i didn't bother with guage, and just knit up the pattern using 2 skeins of each color.  this is going to my friend's new bouncy baby ben.  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 08:40:39 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint.  Mark Twain
www.thekrazybarrister.blogspot.com
amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2005 07:15:44 PM »

I completed the BBBB and used Debbie Bliss merino wool in purple and pink - the mother loved it but I also was a little concerned about the washability but it felt so nice and soft in the merino wool I just went with it! I'm about to do another one but I think I will look at different yarn because it is pricey and most people don't know the difference Smiley

I THINK the DB yarn IS washable. I used baby cashmerino for somethiing and it was, surprisingly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
useratl
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2005 08:08:05 AM »

~ (i hope nobody has any weapons nearby!)

I had a just jolly old time doing the BBBB in

Shocked  Homespun.

But, gang!  It's soft, its machine washable, I had a slew of it around the house, and it came out pretty nice!

My philosophy on gauge on this was, it's a baby blanket!  Long as its bigger than the baby, I didn't sweat it too much, and I think I did something close to what the label called for; one strand.

It looks and feels lovely . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2005 08:16:30 AM »

I'm doing mine in double strands of Plymouth Dreambaby DK.  Its taking FOREVER.  I'm about 2/3 of the way done.  Thank god this baby's not due for a few months.  I'm going to have to do another one pronto for my cousin though, she's due in a few weeks.  Maybe I'll just crochet her a flying pig.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
kimmy
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2005 08:41:20 AM »

How does the seed stitch look in Homespun?

I don't hate that yarn, so no weapons here. I guess because that's what I nievley learned to knit with, it doesn't bother me to work in it. I've made scarves, mary jane slippers and I'm working on a shawl because I still have a butt load of it laying around.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellca2
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2005 02:50:42 PM »

I'm currently using a colorway in Plymouth Encore Worsted.  I'm using one strand on size 10 needles.  It is a bit boring, but also pretty quick.  I'll be using 4 skeins when I'm done, so it is reasonably priced on top of it all.  My LYS charged about $5.00/skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2005 06:06:35 PM »

Yay!!!  I just finished!!!  I'm off to block it...that is if acrylic will really block....Post pictures later!!! Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
taozen_origami
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2005 08:43:07 PM »

Hi!

I was searching for something that turned up this thread, even though it has almost nothing to do with my search. But it's timely, though -- just yesterday I was looking at the SnB BBBB pattern and thinking about what would be the ideal yarn to use for the project. I have three children, and really love Lion Brand Wool-Ease. It's inexpensive, soft, warm, lightweight and machine washable. I started on a Wool-Ease blanket using their now-discontinued Grey Ragg color when I was pregnant with #1, and didn't get around to finishing it until I was pregnant with #2 about a year later. So two of my babies used the blanket right from the beginning. There was a lot of wool in my kids' lives when they were babies, and we've never had any trouble with it.

One thing I'll say about Wool-Ease is that it will only be as kind to you as you are to it. I've got Wool-Ease mittens, hats and socks that I've run through the wash with the regular laundry, at various temperatures and sometimes with fabric softener, and sometimes dried on medium-high. It doesn't take very much of that before they start to get ratty looking. The blanket, booties and sweaters, however, I've only ever treated like delicate washables. They get run through the delicate/handwash cycle in warm water with Eucalan No-Rinse Woolwash (bypassing the rinse cycle), and dried on the lowest dryer setting (or often laid flat to dry). The grey ragg blanket is doing especially well, even after 6+ years of constant use. And it feels softer and cuddlier than ever. My two-year old son, who is very tactile sensitive, especially loves the blanket. My relatives have also loved the Wool-Ease baby knits I've made for them. 

Note: The lighter Wool-Ease colors, especially solids or raggs, are generally softer.

So -- there's a fussy, knittin' mom's opinion. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Thai-Style Chicken Noodles
How to Make Thai Fried Chicken
How to Make a Chinese Beef Noodle Dish
The Classics: Hong Thaimee Makes Laab
How to Make an Asian Shrimp and Fruit Salad
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...