A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter - Potions Master game  (Read 8542 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

luckdragon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 03, 2013 03:08:35 PM »

I was lucky enough to be partnered with pinkleo for the Decked out for Deathly Hallows Part II swap back in May 2011.  I had so many ideas for this swap (I mean, it is HP, right??)  Anyway, she mentioned in her questionnaire that she would like a game.  So, I came up with a card game called Potions Master.

The idea is to collect ingredients to complete potion recipes.  The first one to complete their recipes wins.  There are also special spell cards so you can try and put up (and repel) various roadblocks for your opponents.

I basically looked on different HP websites for "common" potion ingredients to make up the ingredient cards.  Some spells were from HP and some I made up myself.  The potions were totally made up to, hopefully, be humorous Cheesy

I printed the cards double sided on heavy cardstock then laminated them.    The box was a metal tea box that I covered with bits of masking tape and then aged with shoe polish (a trick I learned as a girl scout) to give it a leather look.

If I had more time, I would probably have created more ingredients, but I think it works with what's there.  I would share all of the cards that I have for you to print, but I don't think I can upload the .doc file.

Here are Sample Cards:

Game instructions
Object of the game: To be the player with the most completed potions
Game Pieces:
-   12 Potion Cards      - 48 Ingredient Cards
-   9 Spell Cards      - 1 Dice
Game Play:
Shuffle the Ingredient Cards and the Spell Cards together.  Deal out 4 cards to each player.  Deal 4 Potion Cards to each player.  Players lay the Potion cards out in front of them face up.
Play starts to the right of the dealer.  On their turn, the player may do the following actions in the following order:
1.   The player may add ingredients from their hand to any one of their potions.  Do this by laying the ingredient cards face up with the potion card.  
2.   They player can then do one of the following actions:
-   Roll the die.  Draw the number of cards from the draw pile indicated
-   Cast a spell (see spell cards)
3.   At the end of their turn, the player must discard one card face down onto the discard pile
When the draw pile gets diminished, shuffle the discard pile and continue.  Once a potion has all 4 ingredients, flip those cards face down.  This potion is complete and the ingredients cannot be stolen. The first player to complete all 4 potions wins and is the Potions Master.  If the draw pile is depleted before this happens, the person with the most completed potions is the winner.
Casting Spells:
Spell cards are identified by the wizard:
Follow the directions on the spell card to put other players at a disadvantage.  The 2 defensive spells, Protego and Finite Incantatem, can be used to block an incoming spell.  All other spells must be used on the players turn.  Once a spell has been cast, put it in the discard pile.  The exceptions are the Dopplegangium spell (which allows a player to substitute one ingredient for another) and the Loctitium spell (which prevents another player from stealing an ingredient from a potion).  These spells must be kept with the in progress Potion until it is complete.
Game Variation: The potion cards can be shuffled in with the ingredient and spell cards.  Deal 5 cards to each player.  When a player gets a potion, lay it down in front of them to start adding ingredients.  The first person to find and complete 4 potions wins.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013 03:19:58 PM by luckdragon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013 03:40:22 PM »

What fun! It looks so professionally done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
felicitybaby
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013 07:33:27 AM »

This looks like a great game.  I always have a hard time coming up with the rules for a game so that it is not too hard or too easy to play, and is fun too!  This looks like a quick fun game.  Great idea!  I also like the masking tape idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midkiffsjoy
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013 06:49:31 PM »

YOU did an AMAZING job!!!!! O.O  It looks, for all the world, like a movie prop!!!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
JenniferSavage
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013 07:04:17 PM »

This. Is. AMAZING.  Shocked Shocked Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can make that!" has been the start of more misadventures than I can count Cheesy
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/ShesASavage

My username was previously MyBabyIsACommunist!
luckdragon

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013 10:26:59 AM »

thanks!  It was fun coming up with the spells and potions! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013 08:19:59 AM »

This truly is amazing and fun!  You are the best luckdragon! Grin

pinned to Craftster's Harry Potter Crafts Pinterest Board
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiteraryFAN
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014 07:36:50 PM »

Are you willing to sell this file?  I would love to create these for my daughters birthday party.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Blue-Green Eye Makeup Inspired by Kelly Osbourne
Three Beauty Mistakes That Make You Look Tired
4 Treatments for Younger Looking Skin
Beauty Products for Spring
5 Ways to Upgrade Your French Manicure
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...