A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to get started in selling things?  (Read 2144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013 08:42:20 AM »

You can use the patches on things you make for yourself and as gifts. You just can't sell it.

As for the licensed fabric, they are selling it for you to use for personal use. Not to make and sell things from it. And yes there are tons of people who make and sell Disney things. They are however infringing on Disney's copyright and in so doing are breaking the law.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
woodie19838
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013 05:52:54 AM »

Why not try and set up a small e-commerce website using wordpress. There are endless amounts of tutorials online and help guides to help you out.  There are also hundreds and thousands of themes that you can use that you feel would best represent the tone you would like to go for.  These can be gotten from a site called Theme Forest and range from free to $300 for the more advanced versions!

Good Luck!
jen
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013 11:22:36 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

catlover1981
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013 07:05:45 AM »

ok do I need to report people who are selling copywritted things I see it up here all the time , just wondering what i should do guess Ill tell them they cant sell it so they dont get in trouble. I bet they dont know
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013 11:47:09 AM »

I'll bet they don't know. They think the trademarked images are in the "public domain" and anybody can use them. That is not the case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
catlover1981
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013 05:12:55 PM »

I still havent had any luck selling anywhere I have looked in my area and havent found any craft shows all on here in my area show last years date , I was thinking about trying small shops and asking if they would be interested in selling my hats or scarfs but im guessing they wouldnt give me very much for anything and not sure if its a waste of my time.
I saw on etsy they say you have to pay to advertise does this do any good? Id hate to pay $7 a week just to find out no one is buying anything still.
I have put up a facebook page and trying to advertise hoping someone will buy something and can spread the word around but since the audience is all my friends or family its not working.
Some other things I have tried since I last posted was offer free shipping, gave some stuff away free with my name and number ,advertised my stuff on craigslist
Maybe its because I mostly wanted to do custom orders but I guess this isnt the way to go since if I had some compete stuff I could sell maybe on ebay , but I hate to make something no one wants , im lost here with knowing what to do.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013 05:26:26 PM by catlover1981 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013 05:53:20 AM »

I still havent had any luck selling anywhere I have looked in my area and havent found any craft shows all on here in my area show last years date , I was thinking about trying small shops and asking if they would be interested in selling my hats or scarfs but im guessing they wouldnt give me very much for anything and not sure if its a waste of my time.
I saw on etsy they say you have to pay to advertise does this do any good? Id hate to pay $7 a week just to find out no one is buying anything still.
I have put up a facebook page and trying to advertise hoping someone will buy something and can spread the word around but since the audience is all my friends or family its not working.
Some other things I have tried since I last posted was offer free shipping, gave some stuff away free with my name and number ,advertised my stuff on craigslist
Maybe its because I mostly wanted to do custom orders but I guess this isnt the way to go since if I had some compete stuff I could sell maybe on ebay , but I hate to make something no one wants , im lost here with knowing what to do.

Custom work is definitely a harder sell. For one thing, it requires people to consult with you and exhibit a sort of non-commitment commitment and most people are afraid of sales pitches, no matter how weak the pitch. People are so full of nonsense at times. If you don't want to buy something in the end, just say so, for goodness sakes! You will save the salesperson a whole lot of time.

Anyway (thanks for the rant), when you say "I'm guessing" regarding selling in stores, that's probably true if you haven't made or priced your goods to sell in stores. Selling in stores means you'll have to slash your prices and/or the work involved in making each item so both you and the retailer can make a profit. For you, the profit is made up in quantity. So, even though you might have a retailer, you still have to sell to the public and get them into the stores where your goods are if you want to make decent money.

As far as advertising goes, you shouldn't do it unless you have a few success notches in your belt already that will be enhanced by advertising, and $7 per week isn't going to get you anything except a $28 hole in your wallet every month. The general rule is if you can't afford to lose money, don't pay for advertising.

If you can't get beyond your inner circle on Facebook, try a few of the other social sites that can bring other people in, like Pinterest and Tumblr that don't require you to bring your own friends to the party. You basically can set up a theme like knitting or sewing or whatever, post about stuff you like including your own stuff which you can link to your Facebook page, and people find you based on categories and keywords. You have to post regularly, though, or you're wasting your time.

Selling is a continuous, ongoing process that requires a lot of dedication. I don't know any salespeople who get so comfy they can quit selling and just sit back and wait for sales. No company can do it, no individual can do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catlover1981
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013 05:04:12 PM »

Well im about to give up since I know others who say craft fairs aren't the answer theres to much competition, I have one friend who said she went to one and with (her made crochet items) and there were 10 other people selling same things and she felt she wasted $50 per day on the table .
 Im on ssi and dont have the money to advertise or afford $50per day for a craft table at a craft fair , guess its not for me.
I just cant crochet or knit fast enough to compete with walmart etc when ppl can go to walmart and get a blanket for $20 why pay $100 for mine?
I know the local paper charges $25 for 3 day add and more if its on the weekend  and just not sure its worth it when I cant sell as it is , I dont know how to advertise on twitter or pinterest I dont use twitter and have no clue where to start lol , and again its to my family/friends would be my only twitter or pinterest contacts .
I really think its because I dont know anyone
Thanks for letting me know the Etsy advertisement isnt worth it that was my last idea maybe ill sell everything and get out before it makes me feel completely worthless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013 05:23:24 AM »

Catlover, I don't know what city you are in, but if you go to this website http://festivalnet.com/ and type in your Zip code and a radius of how far you're willing to travel, I'll guarantee there will be shows. You find a show you're interested in and Google it.

One difficult thing about craft shows is that if your work is time intense, you shouldn't be making large items. Make one as your attraction, but make items you can do quickly. Make lots of them in different colors. Not everyone has the same taste. Then follow what colors sell, and make more of those. 

If possible learn to make things in batches, not one piece at a time. Find ways to lower your cost of materials. I'm positive there are wholesalers out there who carry what you need.

Don't plan on doing just one show either. As you start out the chances are you won't sell a lot, but listen carefully to the comments by your customers. You make inventory for a number of shows, not just one. If the show is indoors, always pay the extra for electricity and have lights. A well lit display always does better than an unlit one, even if the products are similar.

We are entering the craft show 'season'. Fall. If you're in the north, I guarantee your hats will sell. And you compete with WalMart by emphasizing the handcrafted (not handmade) aspect of your work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013 02:24:54 PM »

If you're in Minnesota (I'm guessing 'cuz of the Vikings stuff), the majority of shows are going to be in the Twin Cities. If you're on etsy, there are MN groups you can join that are very "in" with the craft show circuit, they know where all the shows are, big and small. So if you're still wanting to try shows, you can join those groups.

There's "too much competition" everywhere you go. Online, craft shows, retailers... if making sales was easy, we'd all be stinking rich. You simply have to get over some of your outreach issues and make new "friends" if you want to make sales online. You don't have to know anyone on Twitter, Pinterest, or Tumblr to get followers. Basically all you do is find things you like, post them up or "like" them, give them keywords and/or descriptions & so on and then people will find you when they look for those things. Or, you "follow" someone else's Twitter or Pinterest, etc. and they'll follow you in return. Then you have a new "friend".

If you can get someone you know - or their kids who might be more savvy online! - to help you get started on one of these, then do it. I have to get my daughter to help me with the lastest stuff, I find it enormously tedious for the most part, and I don't particularly find technology "cool", so you're not the first or last person who has problems with it.

You also need to get over the mindset that some kind of paid advertising - no matter where/what it is - is going to bring you any sales. It won't, whether it's a $7 ad or a $2500 one. You have to get yourself out there one way or another and sell. You simply cannot be passive and hope for sales. So the questions is, if you have the tools available, how bad do you want to sell your crafts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catlover1981
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013 09:30:24 AM »

no the vikings stuff was for my dad Im in a small Iowa town.
I cant afford a craft table am on ssi and can barely afford yarn and the closest city with craft fares is 70 miles I looked it up.
I made regular camouflage hunting hats trying to charge $15 and have no bites from Craigslist if I charge any less I wont make money, but I just cant charge $9.99 like walmart or will lose so much.]
And ive been on pin intrest for months with no one liking or following me i have tried selling to friends on facebook and none have the money so im like well tell ur friends and they say they do but I never get orders.
I asked Etsy today why my stuff isnt coming up im searching key words and everything.
Ps I talked to a sport rep for the vikings and he said when i pay for a patch im paying for the copywrite idk about other teams
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013 09:33:48 AM by catlover1981 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pyramid Gift Box
Sweet Peas With Kim Westad
Upcycled Gift Wrap
Handmade Portraits: Yokoo
How to Crochet with Front and Back Posts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...