A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to get started in selling things?  (Read 2270 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catlover1981
« on: May 01, 2013 03:40:35 AM »

id like to start a small shop here with some knitted work
First question is this really work? is there people who buy this I have tried to post on ebay/ etsy with no luck so second question is where do you start and lastly how much inventory do you need? I would be interested in selling things i can make quickly such as hats, scarfs, washcloths, bookmakers , animal hammocks and toys , but im not sure what actual sells since so far I have only ever made things for family
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013 04:31:30 PM »

When someone says they "tried" etsy, ebay, etc., it's hard to tell what that really means. If it means you put up a couple things and hoped someone would find them and buy them, that's not really trying. Making sales, whether it's cows or crafts, takes an enormous amount of work and a determination to succeed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catlover1981
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013 03:04:16 AM »

well I should have said I put 20 things up and have posted on craigslist and ebay as well , but most of my items are custom so people can pick and chose the color they want . Maybe that is where im going wrong
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013 03:06:53 AM by catlover1981 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013 04:09:25 PM »

Etsy is real easy today to get lost in the 300,000 "stores". And how many of them make what you do?

Ebay?  Who knows how many millions of sellers are there!

There is one way to make some money, but sadly nobody wants to do the physical work required anymore. Everybody thinks customers will magically find them among the masses of "stores". So with rare exception, nobody makes any money.

You will never get rich sitting behind a computer tweaking your "store".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013 09:16:52 AM »

Posting things on a website, no matter how many sites, isn't really the "work". The work is finding and directing new people daily to your sales pages and persuading them to buy stuff. If you have a brick and mortar shop, you will also be required to bring in customers. They will not simply appear just because you're open. Running a store means plunking cash down for it and maintaining it with more of your own money whether you have customers or not. Are you prepared for that? And, no matter what they say, marketing DOES cost money. There are few things that are truly free.

It sounds to me like you could do the craft show circuit - er, I'm surprised Chris in VT hasn't said it yet. In which case you could pop over to the "craft show" forum and check out the postings there about inventory and so on.

The other thing is that say you're only interested in selling things you can make quickly. This doesn't sound quite like a dedicated crafter or businessperson but rather like a busy person who will not have time to dedicate to running a business or controlling inventory - I could be wrong. So another option would be to target a few local shops that fit your crafts (or vice versa) and get them to sell the stuff for you. In this case you would need to price things appropriately so they could also make a decent profit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013 04:16:40 PM »

I didn't come right out and mention craft shows because I'm beginning to believe nobody wants to do the work necessary to do shows.

And I find that very disturbing as the absolute BEST WAY to make money is to get yourself and your product out in front of the actual people who have the money in their hand. They get to touch, and feel the quality right there.

You find out what sells and what doesn't. And you find out quickly. And that saves time and money on your part.

Some may think I'm bragging about the money I make. I'm not. I'm trying to say that anybody can do what I do!

Don't forget, I made a career out of making and selling something nobody needs!

By doing the shows, I've made some great friends. Some who have had their work in fashion magazines, Oprah Magazine, and have won awards for their work. And next to them, I'm just a Schmoo.

People can make a very nice living in this business. But not on a site with hundreds of thousands of others. With rare exception, it ain't gonna happen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.shadypinestudios.com
catlover1981
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013 05:47:08 AM »

I'm looking to do a craft show  but haven't found any in my area as of yet , but I live in a big city so I'm sure I'll see one just need to get a big inventory to sell and business cards
I am doing things that don't take long because I'm not very fast knitter yet, I am fairly new only been at this about 3 years, most people I know have been at this for 10 years or more. And everyone I know only does this as fun so that doesn't help me much.
A blanket for a twin bed took me 6 months.
I do know my brother in law offered to help me by selling hats at a grocery store he says my hats are so cool I do iron patches sport decals on them.
So I might take that outlet but I'm unsure how that would sell in summer.
Also any advice on what sells in summer?
Here is a example of the sports hats I have done other concern is copy write if the sports logos are copy witted and if I need to worry about that
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013 05:59:24 AM by catlover1981 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013 07:02:58 PM »

Sports logos are the trademark of the sports team and it is very illegal to sell things using someone else's trademark. Also, trademark violation is something that a company will go after people for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Chris in VT
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013 04:35:11 AM »

Sports logos are the trademark of the sports team and it is very illegal to sell things using someone else's trademark. Also, trademark violation is something that a company will go after people for.
I agree. And the one who will not tolerate it is DISNEY! They will come after anybody selling something using any Disney images without their permission. They do not care how small the crafter is.

We have a saying in the crafts business: "Don't mess with the Mouse!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.shadypinestudios.com
catlover1981
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013 07:31:19 AM »

well i can still do the colors of a team they cant own the colors just wont do iorn on patches idk why they sell patches for using on these kind of things if your not allowed to use it makes no since . Now im worried that I made these hats I will get in trouble but I made no money they were gifts so im unsure.
Another thing is i see a lot of people on the net and at sales , selling disney blankets home made disney paintings and other disney crafts that they make, I dont know  how legal this all is guess its one of those if you dont get caught kind of ting im not messing with it tho and if all of that is true I dont understand why hobby lobby etc can sell Disney fabric if your not allowed to use it , can you explan what is legal and what is not in that respect like is it legal to make something for a gift that is disney?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013 07:43:42 AM by catlover1981 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Coasters With Kerry Washington
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following and Reading Directions
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following Patterns
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Diagrams
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Starting Projects
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...