A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two Quick Necklaces Today  (Read 577 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: April 26, 2013 06:43:08 PM »

I finally picked up almost everything I need to try some resin pendants this weekend. I want to make some pendants from some tiny little shells I got this last summer, with some sand from Tampa. The sand is white, and the shells came from Virginia Beach in July when my in-laws came to visit.

While they were here, I bought a "shark's tooth" from one of the local gift shops, and I use that phrase "shark's tooth" loosely, because really...who knows what animal it could have come from. Not that it bothers me. I figured it was also a nice reminder of the first time I ever step foot on the beach out here, when we moved here in 1998. A guy was fishing in the surf, right amongst the waders and swimmers there. Someone on the beach stopped me (I must have looked like a tourist way back then), and told me to ask him what he had in the five gallon bucket he was sitting on. I asked him, and he showed me a shark he had just pulled in from that same water, maybe anywhere from 1-3 feet deep. It was about three feet long and pissed it was in his bucket. I asked him what he was going to do with it. He said filet and eat it. Smiley

Anyway, when my husband's uncle was here, we took him to the Chesapeake Bay beach in Norfolk. While digging around on the beach, I found a rock with almost perfect little holes in it. The shape of it reminded me of a bird's skull, specifically, a crow for some reason. I kept it to turn into a pendant.

I finally got my ass in gear and picked up some artificial leather cording today at AC Moore. I turned both the shark's tooth (because it was cheaper for me to do it myself than buy a shark tooth pendant already) and the rock into simple necklaces.

There are actually four holes in the rock (on the right). They couldn't have been placed any more perfectly for this little project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013 07:58:21 AM »

What great mementos from your travels. I like the mix of materials... adding the faux leather cord.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013 08:34:49 PM »

They look great!  I love both the rock and shark tooth.  Finding neat shaped rocks is so much fun.  Smiley 

The tooth looks like it is a fossilized shark's tooth to me- they tend to be a pretty popular item in gift shops.  I love the way you knotted the tooth on the necklace.  It really looks fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dr. Charlotte Tomaino on Awakening the Brain
Jeff Kinney on His Book Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Molly Weiner Interviews Author Jennifer Weiner
Lisa Genova on Her Novel "Love Anthony"
"Little Dog, Lost" Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...