A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need opinions on website!  (Read 545 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Blue Sky Alpaca
« on: July 10, 2013 10:04:27 AM »

I'm working on a website to help connect people who need craft-related advice with people who can video chat with them and help.

http://www.lorious.com/

Would love any opinions you have on the website or the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013 11:00:47 AM »

It sounds like a good idea, in theory, but your take (the percentage that Lorious is taking), plus CC fees seems a little steep. Especially when one considers the 15-minute rule- in all honesty, most of the stumbling blocks I've hit in learning a new technique were resolveable in under 5 minutes. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of incentive for the skilled tutors- there's too much room for non-payment, here. And because there's no secure way to record what did or did not happen...hmm. Not sure about this.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013 12:01:50 PM by leopardstripes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
Blue Sky Alpaca
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013 11:08:38 AM »

Thanks for the comments! We know our take/CC fees are kind of steep but those aren't set by us, and there's a per transaction as well as a % portion so on shorter conversations they're actually closer to 10-15%.

Interesting that you can usually get through your problems so quickly. We were also thinking of the website as an easier way for crafters to offer and take private lessons... is that more appealing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013 12:01:09 PM »

That would be a great option! Granted, Craftsy does the online classes thing, but private lessons might be more helpful for a lot of people- having specific questions answered immediately would be a biggie! That, and the ability to schedule a class for a specific time, one-on-one. This could be a really great solution for a lot of people. The idea's definitely sound.  Smiley

Thank you for not taking my doubts as "being mean"- it's just that I've seen people screwed over on Etsy and Ebay, both by the selling systems themselves/admin., and also by dishonest buyers. When the odds are already stacked against the seller, it's a little hard to get motivated to sell. If it's a fair system, I'd certainly be interested, both as a tutor, and as a customer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013 08:49:58 AM »

Sounds like a good alternative to Craftsy, but from a biz standpoint I'm wondering why/if it hasn't been done before. You'll have to monitor it carefully so it doesn't turn into a big free-for-all mess, I suppose, and to those who dwell on "steep fees", you need to remember that artists, generally speaking, aren't salespeople, so the website folks will have to bring in all the customers and that always costs money  Cheesy

Also, the website has that popular sterile, clean look, but could use a few crafty-like photos or something to cheer it up, perhaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013 07:50:58 AM »

Ah, looking at the updated site, I see you cannot access it without signing up first. I find that to be a mistake. I left immediately.

The other issue is that if one wanted to post on their facebook or whatever to "go check out this website!!" then all they would get is a "register to find out" screen, and that's not encouraging, either. I wouldn't bother posting it on my FB just for that reason.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013 02:30:43 PM by CraftyChef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Perfect Catwalk Makeup
Make It Easy: How to Remove Road Salt From Shoes
High Street Vs. High End Foundations
Theodore Leaf Responds to Your Elevator Makeover Comments
Quick Beauty Tips for Working Moms
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...