A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first afghan  (Read 1024 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blue.starlight
« on: April 26, 2013 07:51:13 AM »

I wanted to do an afghan for so long and when I started searching for a pattern, this one from Lion Brand caught my eye: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kew-gardens-afghan

Anyway, this is what I ended up with:

It's made out of scraps of yarn and some really old yarn I had (well, the yellow yarn close to the border actually belonged to my mom, but since she wasn't using it - not for lack of trying, let me tell you - I decided to add it to my project). I hate that it's starting to curl, though I'm thinking it's because I worked about 52 rows. Way more than what the pattern says. Anyway, I wanted to make it big enough to fit my bed, but I decided against it when I saw how curly it got.

BUT it is comfy and warm. I didn't block it though, since I don't have a board this big and I didn't want to iron it either... I figure it will set once I wash it, though I'm not sure if I should wash it in the washing machine  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013 08:17:33 AM »

I think that it's really pretty looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013 09:17:20 AM »

Your afghan turned out very pretty. Depending on the yarn you used you might be able to wash it in the washer.  I wash some of mine in cold water and dry them on the low delicate setting. That's for acrylic yarn though. If you still have the tags/papers from your yarn it should tell you the washing guidelines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
blue.starlight
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013 01:01:35 PM »

I think that it's really pretty looking.
Thank you!

Your afghan turned out very pretty. Depending on the yarn you used you might be able to wash it in the washer.  I wash some of mine in cold water and dry them on the low delicate setting. That's for acrylic yarn though. If you still have the tags/papers from your yarn it should tell you the washing guidelines.

Thank you! uhhh... no, I didn't keep the tags. But I only had indications for the yarn I used in the middle. The yellow one near the end didn't have anything. And there are three types of yarn in there... I think it would be safer if I hand wash it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013 01:59:55 PM »

It is very pretty - I love the colors you used. I suppose it curls, because you increased it a little to much in the last part. When you are crocheting in the round, you have to increase the most in the beginning, and lesser later on. Just my guess.
I think it is wise of you to handwash - it would be such a pity to ruin all your hard work by washing it wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeachieClean
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013 04:06:07 PM »

Handwash would be safest, but I've found that most things can hold up to gentle on cold.  Just line-dry if you can.  Dryers are the real killers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013 08:39:48 PM »

I think it's very lovely! Curly edges and all.  I love the way you chose to put the colours, it really works and makes the piece eye catching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrochetCraftster

My cute pet bunny! :)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013 04:27:58 PM »

Its beautiful!  Cheesy Fantastic job! And I agree, the piece is really beautiful and it does catch the eye. Beautiful job!

Also thank you for giving the link to the pattern. I might have a go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blue.starlight
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013 03:54:19 AM »

Handwash would be safest, but I've found that most things can hold up to gentle on cold.  Just line-dry if you can.  Dryers are the real killers.

I put it in the washing machine and fortunately it was okay. I don't have a dryer (I like to let my clothes to line-dry). And it didn't ruin the afghan. I was a bit scared, but it turned out very well *phew*

Its beautiful!  Cheesy Fantastic job! And I agree, the piece is really beautiful and it does catch the eye. Beautiful job!

Also thank you for giving the link to the pattern. I might have a go.

Thank you!
Ohh, I can't wait to see how yours turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot Long Hairstyles for Fall 2010
How to Update a Side Braid Hairstyle
How to Get Christina Hendricks’s Emmys Hairstyle
Trendy Hairstyles for Kids
Hair Straightening Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...