A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first afghan  (Read 1037 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blue.starlight
« on: April 26, 2013 07:51:13 AM »

I wanted to do an afghan for so long and when I started searching for a pattern, this one from Lion Brand caught my eye: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kew-gardens-afghan

Anyway, this is what I ended up with:

It's made out of scraps of yarn and some really old yarn I had (well, the yellow yarn close to the border actually belonged to my mom, but since she wasn't using it - not for lack of trying, let me tell you - I decided to add it to my project). I hate that it's starting to curl, though I'm thinking it's because I worked about 52 rows. Way more than what the pattern says. Anyway, I wanted to make it big enough to fit my bed, but I decided against it when I saw how curly it got.

BUT it is comfy and warm. I didn't block it though, since I don't have a board this big and I didn't want to iron it either... I figure it will set once I wash it, though I'm not sure if I should wash it in the washing machine  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013 08:17:33 AM »

I think that it's really pretty looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013 09:17:20 AM »

Your afghan turned out very pretty. Depending on the yarn you used you might be able to wash it in the washer.  I wash some of mine in cold water and dry them on the low delicate setting. That's for acrylic yarn though. If you still have the tags/papers from your yarn it should tell you the washing guidelines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
blue.starlight
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013 01:01:35 PM »

I think that it's really pretty looking.
Thank you!

Your afghan turned out very pretty. Depending on the yarn you used you might be able to wash it in the washer.  I wash some of mine in cold water and dry them on the low delicate setting. That's for acrylic yarn though. If you still have the tags/papers from your yarn it should tell you the washing guidelines.

Thank you! uhhh... no, I didn't keep the tags. But I only had indications for the yarn I used in the middle. The yellow one near the end didn't have anything. And there are three types of yarn in there... I think it would be safer if I hand wash it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013 01:59:55 PM »

It is very pretty - I love the colors you used. I suppose it curls, because you increased it a little to much in the last part. When you are crocheting in the round, you have to increase the most in the beginning, and lesser later on. Just my guess.
I think it is wise of you to handwash - it would be such a pity to ruin all your hard work by washing it wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeachieClean
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013 04:06:07 PM »

Handwash would be safest, but I've found that most things can hold up to gentle on cold.  Just line-dry if you can.  Dryers are the real killers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013 08:39:48 PM »

I think it's very lovely! Curly edges and all.  I love the way you chose to put the colours, it really works and makes the piece eye catching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrochetCraftster

My cute pet bunny! :)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013 04:27:58 PM »

Its beautiful!  Cheesy Fantastic job! And I agree, the piece is really beautiful and it does catch the eye. Beautiful job!

Also thank you for giving the link to the pattern. I might have a go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blue.starlight
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013 03:54:19 AM »

Handwash would be safest, but I've found that most things can hold up to gentle on cold.  Just line-dry if you can.  Dryers are the real killers.

I put it in the washing machine and fortunately it was okay. I don't have a dryer (I like to let my clothes to line-dry). And it didn't ruin the afghan. I was a bit scared, but it turned out very well *phew*

Its beautiful!  Cheesy Fantastic job! And I agree, the piece is really beautiful and it does catch the eye. Beautiful job!

Also thank you for giving the link to the pattern. I might have a go.

Thank you!
Ohh, I can't wait to see how yours turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Age of Miracles Book Trailer
David Maraniss Discusses His Audiobook, Barack Obama
Colm Toibin on His Audiobook, New Ways to Kill Your Mother
Author Andrew Zolli Talks About Resilience
Torn Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...