A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting and dying  (Read 566 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2013 11:15:05 PM »

This is nothing to do with Madame Defarge but just the story of how knitting helped make our last days with Mum into a truly  special time.  

It turned out to be a very precious two months.  My sisters and I spent some of the time helping her sort out things she wanted to give or throw away before she died.  We told stories, reminisced, laughed, cried.  

And more and more - we knitted.  My youngest sister hadn't knitted for years but started again and got so enthusiastic she finished  a complicated jacket pattern.  

As children we knew that Mum could always make something out of anything and even then, a month before she died,  she started and finished a cotton cardigan for one sister in time for her birthday.

When Mum could no longer knit she was still interested in what we were doing and helping us choose colours and patterns.  My aunt came to stay every week and  would bring what she was knitting for her grandchildren so the two sisters  could sit and chat and share the knitting - or occasionally the unravelling.  Wink

Mum was able to stay at home the whole time, thanks to the amazing National Health Service which  provided everything free of charge, including the community nurses and Macmillans who came several times  a day to help with basic nursing.  

And of course we knitted as we  watched by her bedside at night.  We shared the watching, so that there was always someone with her.  Knitting was a way of staying awake, especially on the 2 am to 8 am shift.  Sitting in a small pool of light in her dark bedroom while she slept peacefully nearby, knitting not only helped to keep me awake but also kept my mind busy as well as my hands and helped me deal with the grief of her gradual decline.

Now a year on she passed peacefully in her sleep in April 2012 I and my siblings are so much closer together  and we keep in touch so much more  - not only to share the knitting that we are doing.  And I have several garments that I made then which will always remind me of a gentle passing and the loving time we had together.

and a knitting bag, made hastily to hold my knitting and which Mum really loved.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimadagem
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013 12:36:18 PM »

That was just lovely. Thank you for sharing it. And even though it's a year later, please accept my sympathy on the loss of your mum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013 06:31:22 AM »

Thank you so much kimadagem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Messy Faux Bob
Full, Loose Curls at Desigual Fall 2014 NYFW
DIY at Home Mask for Dry Scalp and Hair
How to Rock Bangs Without Making a Big Cut
How to Get a Super Sleek Blowout Without the Frizz
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...