A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i paint shoes  (Read 1476 times)
Tags for this thread: painted_shoes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 23, 2013 03:00:40 PM »

i'm in a bit of a shoe painting frenzy these days.  it's really becoming popular around here.  anyways, thought i'd show off some stuff i've done.

i call myself a 'short-order artist'.  people give me tiny little snippets of what they want, or little ideas, and i just go with it.  it's a lot of fun, most of the time.

"taylor - bees and sunflowers"
you can't see the little bees all around the shoes, but they're there.  these are the tiniest little toms you've ever seen - too cute.

"i like space"
so you get the whole solar system.

"graffiti"
this is my 9-year-old daughter, who has no idea what graffiti is, or that typically graffiti says something.  telling somebody to paint graffiti without direction is tricky.  so this is what she gets - her initials. 

"fox, w"
you get what you ask for.

"something about birds"
really?!?  that's all?  yup - birds.  what would you do if somebody told you to paint them something "birds" on a pair of $50 canvasses?  well, this is what i did for her.  it's not what i would do for me, but i think i guessed her right.

"rylee likes princess stuff"
these shoes actually saw another artist first, but the customer wasn't thrilled, so this is my cover-up.  nothing left of the original.

"grace, cupcakes"
gotcha.  fyi - red is a horrible color to paint on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.com
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013 03:32:10 PM »

Love them!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerfectlyBohemian
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013 06:14:08 PM »

Your commentary is hilarious. Great work! I would love to do myself another pair of painted canvas flats. Could you tell us what kind of paints you used? When I used standard acrylics, they cracked a lot over time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013 08:26:28 PM »

Cute shoes. You did a great job on all of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
jo_mama
call me jo.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013 10:00:46 PM »

Your commentary is hilarious. Great work! I would love to do myself another pair of painted canvas flats. Could you tell us what kind of paints you used? When I used standard acrylics, they cracked a lot over time.

On shoes I use the cheap craft acrylics you can buy at any craft store.  They are vibrant, permanent, and I've had no issue with cracking.  I do put down a layer of white before any color, and I don't know if that helps the cracking or not, but I painted my own toms that have grown very soft with wear, but the artwork still looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helcura

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013 10:36:36 PM »

Too cool.  You are inspiring me to think about trying shoe painting myself.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lettersalad
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013 10:43:52 PM »

They are great, wonderful colors, lovely motives.

I guess your paints don't crack BECAUSE you use the cheap kind. Few pigments, a lot of "glue" to hold them together and on the fabric, but they don't cover up very well.
Back in my times, I used a special brand of airbrush colors (Createx, I'd say; can't remember the name right now... will have a look later). They've got a textile medium to mix into, got fixed with heat (ironing or, in some cases, I've put it into the oven). The textile medium prevented cracking or washing out. The colors themselves had a lot of pigment in them (remember, airbrush, they were meant to be watered down to fit through the nozzle) so they covered really well. So if you can't get this brand, it may be worth a look in the airbrush compartment.

Salad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jo_mama
call me jo.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013 05:23:04 AM »

They are great, wonderful colors, lovely motives.

I guess your paints don't crack BECAUSE you use the cheap kind. Few pigments, a lot of "glue" to hold them together and on the fabric, but they don't cover up very well.
Back in my times, I used a special brand of airbrush colors (Createx, I'd say; can't remember the name right now... will have a look later). They've got a textile medium to mix into, got fixed with heat (ironing or, in some cases, I've put it into the oven). The textile medium prevented cracking or washing out. The colors themselves had a lot of pigment in them (remember, airbrush, they were meant to be watered down to fit through the nozzle) so they covered really well. So if you can't get this brand, it may be worth a look in the airbrush compartment.

Salad

The reason I put white down is both for coverage and texture.  My brushes protest against the canvas of the shoes, but once I have a layer of white down it smooths the surface so I can paint with ease.

I've been airbrushing for years, so I'm very aware of createx paints.  As you said, they do need heat to set and when I am on location it's a bit tricky/time consuming to get that done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lettersalad
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013 11:37:42 AM »

Hey, great to meet a fellow airbrusher!
I doubt you could use even createx on dark colors like red without a base of white. For texture... I've never tried it on shoes, so I take your word.
What does it mean, when you're "on location"? Obviously not at home, sure, so you paint on a mobile booth or something? (Curious? MEEE??? Aw, nooooo...)
Did you too notice that even without heat setting the textile medium in createx colors gave them a much longer life?

Salad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Oil Paint - Arranging the Composition
Basic Still Life Oil Painting
Learn About Arabic Henna Designs
Learn About Indian Henna Designs
Learn how to Paint with Acrylics - Overglaze and Finishing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...