A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gathered Roots - Round 5 (SIGNUPS CLOSED; MAIL BY 7/3/13)  (Read 22875 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donniesgirl
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2013 04:30:50 PM »

It was a beautiful day here today and I finished one small item. I'll probably start a large after small fry goes to sleep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting cotton Hawaiian fabric scraps for a quilt if you wanted to send any my way!
http://www.pinterest.com/donniesgirrl
jnny_heck

"Behind every successful woman is herself."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2013 10:49:46 AM »

Hey just checking in for the week.  I haven't started crafting yet, but I finished school this week, so I'm excited to get started soon!  The plants are finally budding so thats some extra inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2013 10:31:36 PM »

Not much new here, still planning and curing things. I've got about 3 more things I wanna make but still figuring out how to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
dreadlocklove
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2013 01:44:04 PM »

We were at the cottage these past two days and I found a new patch of wintergreen berries!  Ate a handful too...

I'm likely going back tomorrow for a few days and won't have access to the internet.  I'll pack some craft supplies and try to squeeze a project in. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2013 03:12:13 PM »

Finally got my herb garden renovated. Just finished setting the last of the flagstones this morning.

I was able to do it all with landscaping materials I had around the property. The circular planter - which is about 2 m (6 ft.) in diameter - and some of the outer beds are made from retaining-wall blocks that have been sitting beside our garage for four years. The paving stones are leftovers from when we first landscaped our yard. We somehow bought way more than we needed, and the excess ones have been stacked in corners and serving various other landscaping purposes for the past 25 years. I didn't quite have enough, so I had to steal about 6 stones from a part of the original path that's no longer used. There weren't enough retaining wall blocks to edge all the side beds either (some did actually get built into a wall, and I didn't want to steal from it!), but I have another stash of stones at our acreage that I'll bring home to finish the job with.

I'm hoping that this will help keep the slugs at bay. They've always been a scourge in any garden I've planted in the back yard. We originally had grass in this area at the very bottom of the yard behind the garage, but the trees grew up too high and it became too shaded for grass. Then about ten years ago I made the mistake of planting some ivy to grow up the back of the garage, and it completely took over:

Last year a huge tree from the neighbour's yard was removed, so I think there's once again enough sun back there to support something other than ivy and slugs. It took a couple of days last month to dig up all the ivy, and I was still finding roots I'd missed as I was laying the stones. But I think I got it all now.

I'm experimenting with a new style of plant marker. In my original herb garden I'd carved the names on little wooden stakes, but they rotted off at ground level in a couple of years. Then I bought some little wire and lead markers, but they weren't very visible, and for some reason the lead often fell off the supports over the winter.

So I'm trying wooden tags (recycled from an old Venetian blind) hung from wire supports. I've painted the names on with enamel paint, which I hope will survive the sun and frost for at least a few more years.

I've planted all the herbs I bought earlier this month, didn't have to move any of the existing ones (which are showing their happiness at being rid of the encroaching ivy), and still have room for some more. And if it gets crowded in the beds, or if the slugs get too bad, things can go in pots around the sides of the paving.

Wulf
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013 03:16:04 PM by Wulf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2013 06:46:01 PM »

Epic.  Grin   Love the design!

I have been beating back morning glory through my veggie beds and herb bed. That stuff is like a ninja, it creeps up silently and strangles it's victims! Dig and dig all you like, it doesn't go away.

On the brighter side, I have been already harvesting lettuce, asparagus, and rhubarb! We planted peas and broccoli already too. I have what I think are volunteer chamomile returning and my lavender looks good too. I'm waiting for the sage to blossom.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013 06:49:07 PM by hawkeyes_girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

hawkeyes_girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2013 06:49:57 PM »

We were at the cottage these past two days and I found a new patch of wintergreen berries!  Ate a handful too...

I'm likely going back tomorrow for a few days and won't have access to the internet.  I'll pack some craft supplies and try to squeeze a project in. 

Hate to ask a dumb question, but what do they taste like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2013 08:01:52 PM »

That looks really nice - want to do my yard? Cheesy

I'm hoping our rain perks up my veggies although I think squirrels have been eating my squash blossoms. It's a race til we hit the mid-90s and my growing is over til fall. Except (I'm hoping) the watermelon.

I made lemon balm bars today - they came put pretty tasty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting cotton Hawaiian fabric scraps for a quilt if you wanted to send any my way!
http://www.pinterest.com/donniesgirrl
Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2013 09:34:35 PM »

The only thing I'm trying to grow is catnip. A lady at a garden sale gave me one a couple weeks ago, but my kitty broke her toe so I gave her a leaf to make her feel better... and now she just keeps trying to eat it. I doubt it's going to survive long enough to be a grown up plant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2013 04:19:39 AM »

I've just had to put a wire cage around my catnip plant. It was doing fine, unmolested by the neighbour's cat, but then a few days ago I noticed that somebody had been pruning it... and it hadn't been me! I expect the wire will be covered in cat hair within a few days.

And thanks for the heads-up about morning glory, HG. I was actually thinking of planting some to replace the ivy on the back of the garage! If I do, I'll keep a close eye on it.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Kitty Floss Holders
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: DIY Dryer Sheets
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Cozies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...