A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gathered Roots - Round 5 (SIGNUPS CLOSED; MAIL BY 7/3/13)  (Read 12957 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whileitsraining
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2013 06:48:54 AM »

I worked on one project this weekend and think its turning out to be what I had envisioned  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clear a space to make a mess!
http://www.wists.com/whileitsraining
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2013 06:55:26 AM »

Well, there was more snow than the weather network predicted yesterday and school buses were cancelled this morning! 

We had a few blasts of freezing ice pellets yesterday and frost warnings last night, but no snow. It's supposed to be even colder tonight, so I think I'll rig up some frost covering for my newly-planted herb beds. We're promised a warm-up here by mid-week, so I hope you get some of that up north, too.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2013 10:50:09 AM »

Are there any herbs/plants that are good for repelling mosquitos?  Not in terms of making a mosquito repellant, although I am certainly interested in that too.  I am looking for things I can put in the garden to minimize the mosquitos hovering in our backyard.  I seem to live at ground zero for the West Nile virus and our house adjoins a green belt that has a creek with stagnant water in the summer.  So I know were not going to get rid of them all together but it would be nice if there was a way to sort of minimize/discourage them from my yard.  

Sweet fern can do the trick too, although I'm not sure you'll find it in your area...

No it doesn't look like it does well in my climate zone...

I bought supplies for one larger item but I haven't done anything with it yet.  I'm angeling for a swap real quick first but I'm hoping to get to it on Friday since I'm taking the day off.  And other than that...we had beautiful weather this weekend & I made some lemon fennel buttermilk sorbet.  I found a couple more varieties of mint I picked up too...those tend to wilt in the heat so I'll have to make something with them soon.  And then I've been looking for lemon verbana & can't find it anywhere.   Undecided

Does anyone else live in the south or are you all pretty much northerners with nice cool weather?   Smiley
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013 10:56:07 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2013 08:58:53 AM »

Does anyone else live in the south or are you all pretty much northerners with nice cool weather?   Smiley

That's funny, I was just looking in a herb book today, and it seemed like everything I wanted needed a hotter climate than we have here on the Great Lakes! I've never lived in the South so I never think about all the things that need the moderate temperature.

I've done it - I've bought a still! I've always wanted one - not for moonshine, but for distilling essential oils and hydrosols. This swap seemed like the perfect excuse to finally do it. Less than CAN$300 including express shipping from Portugal.

This is what I've ordered: http://www.copper-alembic.com/ns/product.php?id_product=41

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlocklove
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2013 01:20:34 PM »

I've done it - I've bought a still! I've always wanted one - not for moonshine, but for distilling essential oils and hydrosols. This swap seemed like the perfect excuse to finally do it. Less than CAN$300 including express shipping from Portugal.

This is what I've ordered: http://www.copper-alembic.com/ns/product.php?id_product=41

Wulf

I don't know much about stills but that is pretty!  =)

In craft news, I got some crochet project done and purchase an ingredient I needed to make a couple more this evening.  

ETA:  Wulf, I hope you have so much fun with that still!  Ah, the possibilities of what you can create!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013 01:21:38 PM by dreadlocklove » THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2013 04:38:18 PM »

I don't know much (anything?) about distilling either, but I have to admit it was the look of the still that made me want to have it. Cheesy I'll report the results of my experiments.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2013 05:04:42 PM »

Wulf

I am so jealous! I have always wanted to make my own spirits. Or essential oils. Or both. That seems like a great price. How much plant material would one use make, say, an ounce of EO?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2013 04:36:22 AM »

How much plant material would one use make, say, an ounce of EO?

I imagine it must vary a lot according to how much oil is in the plant, but it would always be a great mass of raw material. In a small alembic like this (2.5 litres is about 5 pints), the essential oil you'd get after distilling a whole batch would be a few drops floating on top of the hydrosol. Not a fast process!

Wulf
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013 04:38:13 AM by Wulf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

whileitsraining
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2013 06:13:51 PM »

My mother in law makes her own lavender oil and she says it takes forever to get enough to do much with lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clear a space to make a mess!
http://www.wists.com/whileitsraining
dichotomy
Fastest needles in the west.

~Team Wordy~

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2013 08:04:27 AM »

Southerner here!

We've been having a pretty wacky spring here in North Carolina, with warm days in February and really cold days in April. This week it's been in the high 80s, so summer is clearly on its way. I'm pretty excited, because that means my little herbs that I planted in the early spring will finally start getting big enough to use! I'm tired of carefully picking off a few leaves here and there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Print-Mixing Expert Rachel Roy Shares Her Secrets For Effortless Style
How to Pick Out Boots for Fall
Verena Von Pfetten: Fashion Expert
How to Wear Stylish Belts
How to Wear Scarves in New York
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...