A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gathered Roots - Round 5 (SIGNUPS CLOSED; MAIL BY 7/3/13)  (Read 12330 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2013 08:50:52 PM »

Anyone have experience ordering from Majestic Mountain Sage? I was looking at the essential oils and they have a seven oil sampler pack where you choose seven 1 oz oils and they ship it free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2013 04:44:56 PM »

donniesgirl: I saw something just yesterday that said to plant lemon grass around and it repels mosquitos. I don't know if it's true or not, but it was on the internet. Smiley At least it's a place to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
donniesgirl
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2013 08:32:23 PM »

Lemongrass - thanks, I will try that.  I saw a citrus geranium yesterday too that supposedly repels as well - I might try that too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2013 01:15:09 PM »

It wouldn't be lemongrass that you flavour your Thai food with, but Citronella Grass (Cymbopogon nardus), which is the main source of citronella oil, the ingredient in non-DEET mosquito repellants. The citrus-scented geraniums also contain some citronella, but not nearly as much and probably not enough to do any good. Lemon thyme (thymus x citriodorus), however,  is very effective as a mosquito repellant. (60% as effective as DEET, according to a study at the University of Guelph, apparently.) It's much cheaper and easier to find than any of the other much-touted mosquito-bashing herbs.

I've also heard that catnip is quite effective against mosquitoes, although if you smell of catnip, you may need to use some other herb as a cat repellant!

The problem is that no herb is going to repel mosquitoes just sitting there. It's the essential oil that they don't like, and the plant keeps that to itself unless bruised or otherwise damaged. So lemon thyme will work if you rub it onto your skin, but not in a pot on the deck. I think it might be effective if you planted it in your lawn or between paving stones, where it would be walked on regularly. Especially as the lawn is where mosquitoes like to hang out at night.

Wulf

THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2013 01:47:18 PM »

Anyone have experience ordering from Majestic Mountain Sage? I was looking at the essential oils and they have a seven oil sampler pack where you choose seven 1 oz oils and they ship it free.

No experience with that company for me.

I'm in the thought process on a few projects. I love/hate how my first ideas are almost never the things I end up creating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
monnie31
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2013 01:51:31 PM »

I ordered through there years ago without an issue and I am in Canada.

I need to ponder what to send poor Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlocklove
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2013 02:15:27 PM »

Are there any herbs/plants that are good for repelling mosquitos?  Not in terms of making a mosquito repellant, although I am certainly interested in that too.  I am looking for things I can put in the garden to minimize the mosquitos hovering in our backyard.  I seem to live at ground zero for the West Nile virus and our house adjoins a green belt that has a creek with stagnant water in the summer.  So I know were not going to get rid of them all together but it would be nice if there was a way to sort of minimize/discourage them from my yard. 

Sweet fern can do the trick too, although I'm not sure you'll find it in your area...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2013 03:40:02 PM »

4 projects done or curing! Woohoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2013 05:50:20 PM »

Did a practice run on something for my partner. It turned out great, and my dad and auntie were both impressed. Now, to make some a bit more to my partners tastes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlocklove
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2013 05:53:21 AM »

Well, there was more snow than the weather network predicted yesterday and school buses were cancelled this morning!  We're getting some cleanup done at the moment then I'm hitting the craft kitchen this afternoon during their nap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Skin Authority Product Review
The Secret To A Piecey Pixie Hairstyle
Beauty Makeup Box Reviews
Graphic Eye Makeup Backstage at KaufmanFranco Spring 2014
Fight Wrinkles and Fine Lines With These Easy Fixes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...