A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
486 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Need ideas for finishing my brother's wedding canopy.  (Read 763 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

solargrl
« on: April 23, 2013 09:18:23 AM »

I'm making a wedding canopy for my brother's wedding on May 19th. It's made up of 36 square patches on white canvas which all the couple's friends and family decorated for them with well-wishes.

I now have to sew all these squares together. They are 12"x12", with a one inch seam allowance all the way around each one.

I have a really basic sewing machine - it's a Singer Featherweight 221 which belonged to my grandmother in the 1940s. Still works like a dream though. I'm not super experienced, but I'm a quick learner!

I was going to assemble the square in rows first, press the seams open, then attach the rows, much like people do when assembling blocks in quilting. The right sides of the squares will be facing down, over the couple when they get married, and the top likely won't be seen, BUT just in case, I was wondering what the best way to finish the seams or to hide them would be. Do I stitch wide ribbon over top of them creating a grid of borders? Or is there some way of finishing the seams? Or do I stitch a second layer onto the top like in quilting to hide all the stitch work inside? Please help if you can. Here are some pictures of the sort of thing I am doing.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GWmqJYhQO9E/T4Z2zHkpoGI/AAAAAAAAKv8/ZQTEjgrFLhU/s1600/squarechuppah.jpg

VERSION=1253585188062" target="_blank">http://www.quiltology.com/storage/chuppah2.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHE VERSION=1253585188062

Keep in mind also, that this will be an outdoors wedding if the weather is nice - so some light may shine through the canopy and expose some of the work (by shadow).

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Below are pictures of my squares.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

------------------------
Linds

Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit, either.  ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013 09:35:40 AM »

What are the plans for this after the wedding?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

solargrl
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013 10:18:24 AM »

It's up to them, but it was suggested that they may make it into a wall-hanging in their new home together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------------------------
Linds

Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit, either.  ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013 10:26:13 AM »

I saw a great tutorial on a postage stamp quilt that could be used for this...it involves using grid fusible interfacing...let me see if I can find it...at least the extra layer would make it sturdy and not see-through and encase the seams at the same time! Cheesy  

This was meant to sew together a bunch of tiny squares easily, but I had it bookmarked to use for larger blocks as well that I wanted the seams encased...her tutorial came out before there was grid interfacing...I find the grid is a lot easier to work with to get seams straight...although, straight is not critical in my mind! Cheesy

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2009/10/elizabeths-fabric-focus-quick-piece-tiny-squares/

You can google grid interfacing to see what it looks like...it is about $6 a yard but a coupon cuts that in half!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013 10:33:58 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013 07:22:26 PM »

I would consider doing a simple pillowcase style backing.  (Right sides together stitch around.  Leave an opening.  Turn.  Top stitch around the outside.)  Then you could either stitch in the ditch across a few areas to hold it together or stitch your ribbon on the seams.  You wouldn't need a lot of stitching.  Just enough to keep it together.  Putting on a backing would strengthen it and give it some substance for hanging on the wall.  It would better for keeping the seams from fraying every time it gets moved or washed.  w

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...