A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oooh access to exciting American supplies!  (Read 617 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stringusbeanus
« on: April 21, 2013 02:58:25 AM »

Hiya. I'm British but coming to visit my aunt in Wells, ME later in the year. I am excited that I will be able to have a look at American crafty goodness that you can't get here.

Any suggestions of supplies/ suppliers/ fayres/ events that I should check out? Both in person and online (I could have purchases delivered to my aunt's house for things that they won't ship to the UK)

I have heard good things about Joann's and Mood...?

I am a sewer (hand and machine), occasional knitter and dabble in fimo/ clay and paper mch.

I'll be visiting in October.

Thanks v much for your help. I don't know where to start...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013 03:54:37 AM »

Michaels, A.C.Moore, JoAnn's Fabric and Hobby Lobby are all large craft stores and they all provide coupons.  Check them out online! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013 01:48:59 AM »

If you're going to Maine, have her take you to a Mardins!!!

They sometimes have great stuff, since they are a Maine only chain that specializes in buying up sale lots from auctions and places going out of business for very cheep, then selling them with wonderfully good sales to the public.  It is very hit or miss, but can be super fun. 

If you do go to Joanns and Michaels, sign up on their webpage really fast to get emailed coupons (or get them on your smartphone).  You can print them out and use them at the stores to get some decent discounts while you are there.  Also, maybe your Aunt will take you down to New Hampshire - like Portsmouth or so for shopping.  New Hampshire stores don't charge a sales tax like Maine will.  It's really close by so it's not a bad ride or anything.  You might even enjoy some of the fabric and stuff available at Walmart!  There are a few around, many have slightly different craft offerings too.   Same goes for craft places.  Ben Franklin is another big craft store, but I can't remember if there are any around that area anymore.

Do a quick google search for quilt stores in the area, as they usually have fabulous fabrics! 

There are tons of little neat antique and second hand places around that can be a wealth of interesting and wonderful items for repourpousing.   Great vintage clothes you can alter or just use for fabrics.  Wells is along Rt. 1 so you are right around a bunch of fun little towns that you can poke around. 

Ask your aunt about local craft fairs, maybe even a Maine state fair?  I can't remember when they are held off the top of my head. 

My mom lives in Wells now.  Smiley  I miss it.  Sorry for the lack of current local places to check.  I moved to Alaska about 6 and a half years ago now.  I can't stress enough how many fabulous little shops you can find and so close together in different little towns! 
Have an excellent trip!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Movement of the Checkers in Backgammon, Part 2
Movement of the Checkers in Backgammon, Part 1
Object of the Game in Backgammon
Pieces of the Board in Backgammon
The Basics of Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...