A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to create a door in an open doorway?  (Read 813 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lo{ve}
« on: April 18, 2013 01:01:24 PM »

i'm going to try to explain this as best as possible and add photos later if needed  Roll Eyes

i'm moving into a new apartment where i will be getting a room that used to be used as a second living room and has no door. however, there is an open doorway that is slightly larger than a regular door. my question to you is if you have any ideas of how to block my room off? i don't want to just hang a curtain as i would like some thing that has slightly more sound proofing abilities and if any way possible i would like to be able to lock the "door" when i'm not home to keep nosey roommates out.

any suggestions?

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013 03:26:05 PM »

Are you actually allowed to make structural changes to the apartment?  I think the only way you can safely install a door there is to make physical changes - you have to place a door jamb into the opening and screw it in to the studs in the walls before hanging the door, and then frame it to hide and raw edges, and neaten it up.  Assuming there is studs near the opening - if there are no studs (goodness knows why, but we have seen wonky things happening in construction before), then you would have to open the wall up and properly frame the opening with 2x4s or whatever is required in your local building code.

But before you do anything, you may want to look into what your building allows you to do if it is a rental.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013 10:18:05 AM »

*all numbers made up to suit my example-making*

Uh, my first thought is, do the tenancy laws in your region/state have any stipulations specifically applicable to bedrooms? Anything like, a sleeping space in a multi-bedroom dwelling must have the capability to be closed off to unwanted intrusion for privacy purposes? I would call your local Landlord/Tenant board and see what they say about it. If you've already paid for the unit, the landlord can't say "well, this dwelling has only 2 bedrooms, not 3, then!" because presumably you signed paperwork (at least a rental agreement) with all of the signatories names on it. 3 signatories implies a need for 3 bedrooms, and if the landlord advertised it as a 3 bedroom apartment, then s/he's going to have to MAKE it a 3 bedroom apartment.

If you haven't signed anything yet, I wouldn't hold my breath. S/He can simply back out of a verbal agreement and now advertise it as a 2+1 bedroom apartment. If it was originally advertised as a 2+1, then I don't think you actually have any recourse if you did sign a lease/rental agreement.

The crafty solution if there is no legal recourse for getting a proper doorway installed: a folding closet door. They're very easy to install, just a little track at the top and hinges on the wall, just make sure the hinges are on the INSIDE of the room, and install a garden latch for putting a padlock on it (make sure the SCREWS of the latch are inaccessible, or at least difficult to access). I've been living with a slatted closet door for my bedroom for almost 3 years (it's a REALLY old house, 1928, the doorway is narrower than standard, and who knows where the original wood door went?). I like the ventilation, but I do wish it was more sound-resistant. If you can convince the landlord to do this (if there's no legal way to get a proper door), try to get a solid core door, not a slatted or hollow core. That will cut down on the noise a lot. Here's a person who had a similar issue, and one of the suggestions was to use a cheaper hollow-core door and fill it with foam.

Shit, I just thought of something. I hope you at least partially trust your room-mates. There's nothing stopping them from putting a padlock on your door while you're asleep unless you can tuck the flap of the garden latch into the room. That way, they'd have to open the door first, giving you maybe enough warning to bodyslam the door open before they can lock you in. Just saying this because I have indeed lived with a$$holes I didn't trust.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lo{ve}
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013 12:02:41 PM »

Thanks for the advice ladies! The landlord has since actually decided to add a door himself. Now the problem is he added one that has glass panels and is see through! I suppose some simple curtains over the door could fix that. I still can't lock the door as he chose some old vintage style to match the rest of the house but I do trust my room mates and they actually can't lock their doors either so that's okay!

I'll remember the closet door trick incase I run into a similar problem again!

Now I just need to figure out how to create a makeshift closet  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013 08:49:42 AM »

they actually can't lock their doors either

Now I just need to figure out how to create a makeshift closet  Roll Eyes

Firstly, BUAHAHA!

Secondly, I used something like this when I lived in a rooming house. Mine was from Walmart, had extendable bits on both ends, and no wheels. I think it was 24.99 or some such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neilorrick
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013 11:41:26 PM »

If your landlord is not installing proper door so you do it yourself. In the place of mirrors you can install the fiber glass if you are not satisfied so bring the expertise and fix out this issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Julia Gregson Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Meet Authors Mary and Carol Higgins Clark
Rick Warren Reveals Who He Identifies Most
Susan Cheever Talks About Louisa May Alcott
Joseph A. Califano Jr. Talks About How to Raise a Drug-Free Kid
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...