First, I apologize if this in in the wrong category...sewing crafts always get me confused as to where to post!
Last year, I found a tutorial a great tutorial for an arm chair pincushion which I used for a partner in a swap. That tutorial only had pockets on one side. After I made that one, I made myself an embroidered one with pockets on both sides.
Recently, I spent some much needed time with my best friend fthoodmiller, and we spent the entire day crocheting. I was telling her about my arm chair pincushion. Since she doesn't sew (although she does embroider/x-stitch, so I guess I could have made it a pin cushion--I guess she could pull out some stitches and add some polyfilll if she decided it needed to be a pin cushion) I told her I could make her one for her crochet hooks without the pin cushion part.
We met as middleschoolers in Alaska, and have both since moved far away, and both of us miss it terribly. She married an Army man, and because of so, they have moved around. There most recent location, while much closer to me, is not a great fit for her family and she is even more homesick for a better place than I am. I this Alaska girl attitude part was from a shirt my half sister had handed down to my daughter. I had been saving it for a long time to make a hoop, but decided she needed it more, so I heat n bonded it to the black fabric from my stash, and then played with the fun stitches on my machine for the cute border.
The pink polka dot fabric for the pockets came from a dress my daughter outgrew, and was so cute I kept it in my stash for a project. Nothing better than to use it for her "auntie." The side above the Alaska girls was a bit wider, so I put more slots there, and decided to just do the one slot on the bottom so she can hold her current hook in that with larger slots for scissors/phone/remote, etc.
I had started the project on my machine, but had to leave to take my son to pre-school, and with no time to come home, I brought the project with me to finish. I was excited, and I had another package for a swap to mail and wanted to make one trip.
I hadn't liked my previous edging to the pockets, so first I pulled them out, and then hand sewed back on, and the best part. I hand sewed the whole back piece to the front.
I happened to have this fabric in my stash too, which is perfect, because one of her 5 daughters had requested I used butterfly fabric for this project. I aim to please.
It was a labor of love, and I'm so happy to give this to her. And, because I was in a hurry to mail it, I don't have pictures of it draped over a chair. Fthoodmiller, feel free to post some!
Love you, bestie!