A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First-ever ATCs and clear tape image transfers  (Read 988 times)
Tags for this thread: translucent , image_transfer , collage , altered_playing_card  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: April 15, 2013 08:07:57 AM »

I never in my life thought I would make an ATC.  Recently I learned about making image transfers with clear packing tape, and suddenly making ATCs seems really appealing.  These are my first two cards.  They are admittedly sloppy/crazy, but I really like the spontenaity and imperfection of them.  I find they are bringing out my irreverent/juvenile sense of humor.  I don't know if I will ever trade them, but the idea of sending totally goofball ATCs to my friends out of the blue seems fun.  My older brother, who loves fart jokes, seems to be my ATC muse.

My very first card, King Hoppy, was a total mistake.  I tried transferring an image of a king to fabric, and it totally faded and smeared.  (Since then I found out what I did wrong.)  I tried outlining the image, which looked horrible, and then I decided instead of throwing it away to experiment with layering on transparent images.  I gave him a kangaroo head, a keyhole breastplate, a sceptre, and then glued on sequin jewels and an orb.  As crazy as it is, I love it anyway.

My second card is for my afore-mentioned older brother.  As kids we used to catch horned lizards (we called them horny toads) and they can squirt blood from their eyes as a defense.  When I saw a drawing of a horned lizard (horny toad) squirting blood from its eyes, I knew I had to make a card from it and send it to my bro.  For both cards, I used old playing cards as a base.

I don't claim to be an artist in any sense, but I sure am having fun with these.  I have a couple more in the works, including one with a fart joke especially for my brother.  Even though I will turn 40 this year, it's fun to have discovered a medium that allows me to access my inner 12 year-old.

Comments welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013 11:19:43 AM »

Aren't atc's fun? You used so many great techniques in these cards. Kudos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
nikschaf
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013 08:08:06 AM »

Thank you!  It's surprising how they're bringing out a different side of my personality.  There's something about how small they are that makes them feel very spontaneous and accessible to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunnyDawn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013 07:50:44 PM »

the size of the project and the time commitment needed leads to success, not intimidating at all.  I love the horny toad lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dawn Milburn
St. Louis, MO
sunnydawne@gmail.com
nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013 06:42:38 AM »

Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Votive Candle
How to Hold a Guitar Pick
How to Turn a Used Vinyl Record Into a Bowl
How to Make a Pop-Up Card
How to Make a Transformers Costume
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...