A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Letterboxing Fun!  (Read 846 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cherry_Chickentoes
« on: August 12, 2007 04:05:05 AM »

We found our first Letterbox the other day!  YAY!

It's something we've been talking about doing for a while, now, but hadn't done, yet.

Our friends' children were staying with us for a few days (ages 12-15), and they were getting bored - so we revived the Letterboxing idea.  (For anyone that doesn't know what this is, go here:  www.letterboxing.org).

There are quite a few hidden in our area, but we chose the closest, easiest sounding one to get to.  We had a good hike, even though it was pretty hot, and we forgot bug repellent (we all have about 1000 mosquito bites, each!).

Since this was a spur of the moment thing, we did not have time to carve our own stamps (I shamefully bought some at Wal-Mart - sorry!).  To redeem ourselves for that faux-pas, I will be carving a killer stamp to use on our next adventure!

I HIGHLY recommend Letterboxing to anyone - it's not that difficult to do, yet it's a multi-layered activity, too.

If there are no letterboxes in your area, plant some!  And then maybe leave little notes wherever you go with the website address on it - I'll bet you'll soon find that other people will get interested very quickly.

By the way - the box we found was planted almost a year ago, and we were the first ones to find it - and the people that planted the box left us a little "You're the first one to find this box" certificate that we got to keep and add to our books!  That was really a nice little touch on their part.  Their stamp was great, too.  We all stamped their book, and left little notes.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to combine letterboxing and geocaching - anyone have any good suggestions for that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will trade my ephemera scans for your ephemera scans - please PM me if you are interested!
Colorfuldayz
Colorfuldayz

www.Colorfuldayz.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007 07:22:10 AM »

I have heard of geocaching, but not letterboxing. Sounds like fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pocketwatch
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013 11:32:30 PM »

I would rather leave a thumbprint than a store bought stamp image, but actually I like seeing a mix of hand carved and store bought stamps in logbooks. Machine made stamps are still beautifully designed by artists!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock the Pastel Trend
How to Wear a White Blazer
How to Get a Complete Inexpensive Outfit
The Jeans We Are Wearing This Season
Designer Makes Clothes from Fermented Tea
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...