A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Printing Swap Sign up Closed, Send out 6/3  (Read 31329 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

megstar
« Reply #330 on: May 28, 2013 07:42:23 AM »

successfull weekend for me!  got all the supplied i need (only took 3 different stores...) and got the background dyed for partner #1.  tonight will be dye-ing the background for partner #2, and then on to stamping!  luckily i have thursday and friday off in addition to the upcoming weekend, so i will be able to crank and send out by the weekend Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

an anthem = the bottom of an ant's pants Smiley
Nolansmomster

Yes. I am THAT mom.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #331 on: May 28, 2013 08:30:06 AM »

The forecast is not looking good for any sun painting in my future...  At least not before the deadline.

To the backup plan!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

« Reply #332 on: May 28, 2013 08:33:31 AM »

I'll have to keep an eye out for some shower squeeges, now. I wonder if I could cut them down to size? Of course, if you find that the prints didn't come out well, I won't worry about it Smiley

The squeegee that I have can't really be cut. it has a hard plastic handle with a rubber blade that is a bit more flexible than the blades used for printing. It seems to have worked pretty well, although I am using thickened dyes which may not have the same consistency as ink/paints.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LV 20  blog!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #333 on: May 28, 2013 08:57:07 AM »

I'll have to keep an eye out for some shower squeeges, now. I wonder if I could cut them down to size? Of course, if you find that the prints didn't come out well, I won't worry about it Smiley

The squeegee that I have can't really be cut. it has a hard plastic handle with a rubber blade that is a bit more flexible than the blades used for printing. It seems to have worked pretty well, although I am using thickened dyes which may not have the same consistency as ink/paints.

I have used one like that, you can cut them with something like a dremel..(or really hack at it with a knife, but that won't work so well) and since the handle will then be off centre, just ditch the handle and hold it above the rubber blade...messy..but cheaper...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wise One
« Reply #334 on: May 28, 2013 12:57:36 PM »

Whew!  Sent to LouLew.  Can I say thank goodness?  I certainly picked a challenging swap as my first one.  But I learned sooo much about fabric printing.  I'd like to take a hands-on class from an instructor about the different techniques and fabric surfaces and various paints, etc.  I've made so many mistakes but it's been fun!!!  Thanks all for your patience and tips and advice.  Peace out  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes not so wise Smiley
PerfectlyBohemian

« Reply #335 on: May 28, 2013 05:40:58 PM »

I'm so close to being done! I'm finishing printing tomorrow night to give everything the rest of the time to dry before sending. I'm really quite happy with how my fabrics are coming out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #336 on: May 28, 2013 06:03:45 PM »

I finally got my fabric washed! It's not dry yet, because I have another load of laundry in, but as soon as it's done, I'll pop the fabric in. I still have a couple of other pieces to wash but I didn't want to risk bleeding of colors. I may hand wash the last couple of pieces...

Now, I have to remember why I picked out those particular fabrics, since I seem to have misplaced my list...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #337 on: May 28, 2013 07:22:38 PM »

After taking the fabric out of the dryer, I now realize why the FQ labels all say "Do not pre-wash." The edges of the fabric frayed and all of the pieces were tied in a knot by the frayed threads. I cut the threads to release them from their thread umbillicus, and now I just need to iron them before I print!

I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer... The pieces of fabric that I planned to hand wash had the "Fat Quarter" label on them, and when I went to peel them off, the label on one (I didn't try the others yet), left a sticky residue on the fabric. Does anyone know how to remove that without damaging the fabric? I don't think regular hand-washing will do it, and I'm pretty sure I can't print over the sticky spot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
ThriftyLiving4U

Walking around with paint on my fingers

« Reply #338 on: May 28, 2013 08:02:31 PM »

After taking the fabric out of the dryer, I now realize why the FQ labels all say "Do not pre-wash." The edges of the fabric frayed and all of the pieces were tied in a knot by the frayed threads. I cut the threads to release them from their thread umbillicus, and now I just need to iron them before I print!

I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer... The pieces of fabric that I planned to hand wash had the "Fat Quarter" label on them, and when I went to peel them off, the label on one (I didn't try the others yet), left a sticky residue on the fabric. Does anyone know how to remove that without damaging the fabric? I don't think regular hand-washing will do it, and I'm pretty sure I can't print over the sticky spot.

I always try another adhesive, either the same sticker or duct tape.  Cover the spot and maybe the gooey is attracted to the gooey.  I'm also a fan of goo gone on a washcloth or paper towel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would love to swap for art of my fur babies

My Pinterest
PerfectlyBohemian

« Reply #339 on: May 29, 2013 09:07:47 AM »

This happened to me too.... I didn't even realize you weren't supposed to pre-wash fat quarters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pretty Ponytail
Double Dare: The Ponytail Fabric
Top Knot with Volume Tutorial
Beauty Test Lab: Amika Triple Barrel Pro-Curler Set
How to Get Beachy Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...